How does G 35 coupe compare to cars like Audi TT &others?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
Trojan

I am a proud owner of a G 35 Coupe but was wondering how the Infinity compares to cars like Audi TT, BMW Z 4, Mercedes C 320, Honda S 2000 in terms of power, handling and durability.Have any of you owned any of the cars mentioned above?Thank you for your input.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Welcome and congratulations!

I cannot comment on most of the cars you mentioned, but I can tell you that a friend of mine traded in his Audi TT for a Nissan 350Z (same base as the G35C), so his vote was clear.

Plus, he was not too happy that I beat his Audi TT on curves with my old Q45. (He has not yet tried his Z vs. my M45 :D ).

Z

P.S. In terms of looks, I think that the G35C is a class act. Please do not alter its external looks - engine and internals and other stuff would be fun, though!

And one other minor point: you will get harassed by some members if you do not spell "Infiniti" right ... we do not drive audio speakers here! :D :D

Trojan

Thank you for the input. I will correct my spelling of the word Infiniti. What was I thinking?

fshrmn

My 2 cents:

G35 vs S2000 -G35 has better power. S2000 has better handling...the best handling of the bunch actually. Durability is a toss up. You can't go wrong with Honda or Nissan or their luxury versions when it comes to durability.

G35 vs Audi TT -G35 on power again, although this year the TT does get a pretty good engine going...its a pricey option. G35 on handling I believe, although its probably pretty close. Durability goes to G35 too.

G35 vs Mercedes C320 -G35 on power, G35 on handling, G35 on durability. Honestly...the C 320 is a joke.

G35 vs BMW Z4 -With the top of the line Z4, I think it is too close to call on power...again a pricey option. G35 has better power vs the base model. Handling goes to the BMW(yuck). Durability goes to G35.

I like the S2000, but it is an entirely different car than the G35. I would drive and old Pinto or Pacer before that Mercedes. And if you own a G35....you just can't stoop to saying anything nice about a BMW.

Fshrmn

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

yup price to performance, there is no comparison except maybe the s2000. But the S2000 is an entirely different car, comparable perhaps to the Z roadster moreso than the coupe

welcome to the nissan family and take pride in your skyline heritage. One of the most successful racing names in the world

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

And word is the S2000 is real low on torque unless you rev it hard.

Fred..:)

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Well put everyone. The S2000 would I suppose be the other best bargain car in the bunch. However, they do not match up at all. I just don't think that anyone can go wrong with the G coupe. It has decent power, it could always use a little more, but stock 280hp and 260 torque are nice. It has a fairly nice interior, could be a little nicer, but for the money I'm not going to complain much. Enjoy the G.

Chris69427
Car: fast cars, creative writing, film, and art

I would like to make a quick comment about the "& others" section in the subject of this thread. Lemme preface this by saying I KNOW it's a wildly unfair comparison based on price NEW, but if I had some $30k+ burning a hole in my pocket, I would probably buy a used ZO6 Corvette instead of a G35C. C5's are dropping in price what with the new '05 on the horizon, and Vettes known to be one of the best bang-for-your-buck bargains in the automotive world. By the way, this is coming from a guy who LOVES the Infiniti; I'm just being realistic. Chevy's 3100 lb 405hp Z would out-accelerate and out-handle Nissan's Z... at twice the base price, of course, NEW. However, I wouldn't buy new. You have $30k, you choose. OK, Nissan's reliability would blow any low-tech Chevy out of the water, but after 150k miles of fun (an SBC's typical lifespan, in my experience), I wouldn't mind spending another $3k on a stroker rebuild anyway.... Sorry, just wanted to throw my $.02 in! Let me say again, I LOVE the G35C; if I had the money, I'd buy both, believe me, but if I had to choose a sportscar, I'd take quick over quality. Then again, what do I know? My first car was a beat-up Trans Am.~Chris

rydwhite

Interesting point Chris. Of course a new corvette costs a bit more than a new G coupe. But, if I was in the market for a pure sports car, I wouldn't have gotten my G coupe to begin with. I wanted something with a back seat and some semi luxury to it. But like you said, there really isn't a good comparisson to make between the Vette and G and really most of the other cars mentioned and the G. They each serve a differnet purpose for the most part. But, yeah a nice C5 would be fun.

Chris69427

Yeah, I know I was comparing apples and oranges: a NEW G does NOT equal a USED C5. But you are right, each car serves its own purpose, and the G is not a pure sports car. I actually have yet to test drive a G35C, but I just think they're one of the most beautiful cars on the road. Everytime I see one, I just drool and stare... :P Rock on G drivers!

CentralCommando

A comparison of the G35X and the BMW 325My Sister owns a 2004 325, and I own a 2004 G35X. We compared them.

Power--G35 hands down. My Sister was shocked. She couldnt believe the kick in my car next to hers. She couldnt believe anyone would want more horsepower.

Handling--325 wins. I have to say it took the corners better and faster then the G35, after driving both.

Durability--Its a close call. Id give the edge to BMW but not nearly by the margin that Bimmer fans would think.

Interior--BMW has an edge here. The G35X interior is a bit spare.

Handling on slick pavement: An absurd comparison. The BMW handles like crap on slick pavement, and in snow. The G35X is phenomenal in both.

Ride--Id say the G35X

Comfort-- G35X again. It seems like a much bigger car then the 325, and thats because it is.

Price of both is pretty comparable, the G35X fully optioned up is a bit more.

Also, my Sister has a one CD changer in her car. The BMW SIX CD changer option fits in the trunk and costs $1000.00. The BMW Alarm costs $700.00. My G35X has both pretty much standard. Accessories for a Bimmer cost a FORTUNE.

Trojan

Thank you everybody for all the wonderful insights.This forum is terrific!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

My .2 cents:

I'd have to disagree with central on one thing though..

Why give the edge to BWM in durability?

The VQ series motors are known for their lengevity.The Durasteel bodies are too.

3 series bmw' s have attrcted myuch critisism about teir quality or lack thereof in recent years.

Fred...:)

CentralCommando

Point taken, Palmer.Actually, Ive heard the same thing. BMW's are not nearly the quality machines they used to be. Same with Mercedes. And its a bit tough to fully judge the longevity of a G35, being that it has only been around a couple of years. BMW has been around much longer.

Chris69427

What about the new GTO? I drove the six speed version and was impressed with the handling of that heavy (3800 lb) beast. It felt like a heavy car, but the (wide) tires didn't squeal or complain...Cost: about the same ($35k new)Power: GTO (345hp 5.7L LS1 OHV V8--base C5 motor)Handling: My money's on the G35 it's lighter and I've found Nissan to be waaay better at designing suspensions than GM (more comfortable and more stick...even with skinnier tires)Durability: G35 definitely--Nissan engines can go to 200+k, but Chevys generally conk out at 150k.Comfort: G35 again. I read a comparo of the GTO to that expensive Mercedes V8 SC and although the GTO's liveable (a bargain based on hp and price), the emphasis is on the power, not interior design.

Just another thought I had...

~Chris

MECPInstaller
Car: installing stereo systems and minor performance upgrades

i can't even fit comfortably in a s2000 5'11 220. had the seat all the way back and wheel all the way up and my legs where still rubbing against it. oh and i'd take the g35c has those sexy but classy lines.

rydwhite

Chris69427 wrote:What about the new GTO?
I suppose you could sort of classify it here. It does have the power numbers. I didn't realize that it cost quite that much though. 35k for a Pontiac, I just don't know if I could ever bring myself to do that. Especially when the fit and finish of an Infiniti is much nicer in my opinion. But there again, the cars are built for different things.

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

I was talking to an Audi Tech at church yesterday. He said that the TT AWD system is suspect. Put the thing on ice and the only thing that spins are the front wheels. Other than that he had nothing to complain about the car.

Chris69427

Okay, I just test drove a G35 coupe (with Premium pkg). All I can say is WOW! I'm sold! Unfortunately it started raining (might have to go back to the dealership soon, hehehe) and when I turned off the traction control, I got to see how much work the computer really did! It's not just about how smooth the ride was or how crisp the handling was, but all the technology just blew my mind! (Remember, this is the previous owner of a carbed Trans Am!) The safety gizmos, the luxury... Well worth the $30+ price tag! I'm still going with a 240sx for now, but after I'm done with grad school, I'm definitely stepping up to an Infiniti!!! I loved it! No comparison to any other car out there!

rydwhite

Great to hear you like the G coupe so much Chris. You can't go wrong with the 240 for now. They are nice cars and from what everyone here says. Just wait to see what Infiniti has up it's sleeve by the time you are out of grad school.

kysrsoze
Car: Driving fast

fshrmn wrote:My 2 cents:

G35 vs Audi TT -G35 on power again, although this year the TT does get a pretty good engine going...its a pricey option. G35 on handling I believe, although its probably pretty close. Durability goes to G35 too.

Fshrmn

Actually, the TT with dual intercoolers is REALLY fast. My friend has the 225hp model with a 6-speed and it runs a 5.9 0-60. It's actually a bit faster than my sedan, though the turbo takes a just a slight bit of time to rev up. It handles like a mother too. I want to race him anyway - I think I'd take him once we got up over 60mph.

Once you're done with grad school, you may want to check out the new M35/M45. It looks badass, much better than the current model - that one sucks to look at. I can't imagine driving that thing with a 340hp V8. If my money situation improves in the next couple of years I'll be seriously looking at a trade-in.

Chris69427

Um, actually I heard a little something about an Infiniti GTR... Twin turbo V6? 400hp? Mmm... ;) I just got my first ride in an sr-powered S14 and now that I've felt boost, I can't go back to n/a V8s, lol. Now if Nissan would build a V8 twin turbo (like the Celica drag race car), I'd be very happy! Best of both worlds...

But yeah, I agree--the current M45 isn't a looker. (The new one's sweet!) I mean, it's got a distinctive personality, but doesn't have the beauty of a G35SC. Then again, I'm not a sedan guy. I can't deal with four doors. Even the G35 sedan doesn't quite look right to me.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I just test drove a G35C today. I test Drove a 350Z yesterday. I can't really offer much on any of the other cars mentioned. The G35 is much nicer than the Z though in terms of creature comforts and interior styling. And for the cost being about the same as a Z, you get more. Leather and Brembos for one. And Bose if you'ld like. But even the standard stereo in the G has a 6 disc in dash changer. If I get a Z, I plan to swap the stereo for something else, and use it in conjunction with Kenwood's Music Keg. Can't really do that as cleanly with the G, but the G has a tape deck and I can use an adapter with my PDA and run my MP3's off of it. The Z was a little more sporty in feel. Suspension was taught and body roll in the G was too much for my tastes. Bigger sway bars can probably help however. I still lean more towards the Z's styling though. I'll be deciding really soon if I will sell my 240 or not to get either of these cars. It's going to be a tough decision. Arrgh!

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”