How does an M45 hold up with high miles?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Mr. Bill
Car: BMW 740iL

Newbie here.

I've been a BMW guy for most of the past decade and love my '98 740iL. BUT, I'm getting tired of all the maintenance required to keep one of these running well. Plus it's getting up there in age/miles @ 160K.

I've been looking around for a couple months and yesterday drove my first M45. All I can say is... WOW! It was an '06 sport with everything on it. I think the sticker on it was $58K when new.

My question is: I drive a lot of miles a year, say 25K mostly highway miles. My philosophy on a car purchase is, the less I spend, the less I loose (depreciation). Anyway, this car has 92K on it and the asking price seems fair, $17K. This is what I look for because a low/normal mile car would be $5-6K more and I'll burn that up within the first year or two.

So my question is, how well do these hold up with 150+ on them? I know there's not too many of those around yet but based on what I know about older Q45's, they don't cost as much to maintain as a BMW...especially a 740. BTW, I'm a good "do it yourself" guy as you pretty much have to be to drive a "7" without spending big money on maintenance.

I'd appreciate your input...thanks!

1scott
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

These cars drive great, thats for sure. But after purchasing mine at 29kmi and getting a new engine under warranty at 39kmi, the Infiniti V8 may perform well but it is not very durable. My warranty is upto 100kmi and I will sell the car before it runs out as I could not afford this repair bill (ten grand). These cars suffer from the oil consumption issues which causes eventual engine failure. I had put out a post for people with the M45 over 100kmi with original engine and no oil issues, response = 0, some were past the 100kmi but all suffered with oil burn. The M35 V6 seams to be more durable than the V8 and you will give up some performance but will get the durability to be able to put the miles on.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Welcome to NICO!

Some people have had engine oil consumption issues (some mention of it affecting about 10 to 15% of the cars in the earlier years), but if this is taken care of, there is no reason that the car should not go for many miles.

I bought my 2003 M45 new in September of 2003 and after six years, and almost 85,000 miles, it is running well - with some issues that were taken care of under the warranty: gas gauge error (console electronics replaced) and a lower exhaust header leak (replaced piping).

Regular transmission flushes are a must for longevity there, although it is best to start it at the 30k point - starting it at 90k miles for example, may cause problems rather than help.

Regardless of everything, of course, no car is perfect, so I would strongly recommend getting the Infiniti (NOT third-party) Elite Extended warranty - too many modern electronics items can go wrong (in all car brands, not just Infiniti) and those are expensive repairs.

Z

mcrews
Car: 2002 Q45 Sport

I have an 02 F50 (Q45) with 185k miles on it.NOTE: my rear ratio is 2.76 and the 06 is 3.?? (not sure exactly)

I change my oil & filter every 3.5 to 4k religiously.I'm looking to go 220-230k before I get another.The 4.5L is tight....likes to use a quart every change.

My only concern w/ an M45 is that it is a very fun car to drive. You just want to know that the first owner didn't have TOOO much fun

Alot like the difference between the 740 and 540!

Mr. Bill

I checked with the dealer and the PO has had regular tranny/diff flushes. Also, the only warranty work done on the car was a burned out dome light. I guess that means it's either a VERY reliable car (as Consumer Reports says) or it is about to need a bunch of stuff replaced.

I asked the service writer about that and he said I shouldn't see too many issues. The only thing he mentioned was that the seat tracks sometimes go bad.

Sounds good so far. I'm getting tempted

jazzy m45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Umbria Gray Adv. Tech

As another owner who had to have an engine replaced under warranty, I would say that there would definitely be some risk involved. I have had my car since August and had to get a new engine last month. I don't know if it had anything to do with the previous owner's care or not, but that is definitely something to think about.

I love my car otherwise and that problem is pretty much the only one that I've had, but again, I've only had it for a short time (and that's a heck of a problem to have). If I had to purchase all over again, I can say that I would still get an M... I'd also go as far as to say that I'd get the V8 again, but there would definitely be some hesitation in there. The V6 is not that much slower, but there is a difference.

I don't know of anybody who's got 90k+ on their 06+ M, so if you do decide to pick it up, stay neighborly and keep us posted. You'd be an immediate forum superstar because what you're asking is what all of us want to know! I've put over 12k on my car since August and was without it for 2 weeks due to the engine issue (compounded by a dealer/Infiniti "i don't know if we're going to cover it because we don't have the previous owner's records" issue), so I figured I'd end up being one of the first guys here to get that high. It'll be nice to know before I get there. Keep me posted, and good luck!

dvan

If i was a bettin' man, id say the drivers seat track has already gone bad.

dvan

Damn Jazzy, ive put on the exact same miles on my M45 that I also bought in August. Spooky....

Both of us..1. Bought in August, 20092. Put 12k miles on the odometer3. Have new engines installed

jazzy m45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Umbria Gray Adv. Tech

dvan wrote:Damn Jazzy, ive put on the exact same miles on my M45 that I also bought in August. Spooky....

Both of us..1. Bought in August, 20092. Put 12k miles on the odometer3. Have new engines installed
Scary...

Race ya to 100k!

rsg123
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

I just rolled over 54k miles. It has been 3500 miles since the last oil change and the dipstick shows the oil level is right in the middle of the high and low markers.I would say go for it; but after you get the car don't start it and shut it off before it reaches normal operating temperature. It doesn't like that very much.

1scott

Mr. Bill-r u going through an Infiniti Dealer to purchase? My dealer told me that they have NEVER seen this problem in an Infiniti before. I went back to check out the old engine and another one was sitting next to it! This is an issue that has not been owned upto by Infiniti, don't believe the dealer. Anyway, I really enjoy the car and love driving it and you will too especially if you do a lot of driving as I do (20kmi yr). My trade in for the M was a bullet proof 96 Toyota Camry which was my Wifes college car that I took over and drove for the past 8 years, not much can compare to it as far as realibility. It was extremely good car that requiered very low maintence compared to anything, including probably your BMW, so I went from very low maintence to high maintence on the M (As far as Jap cars go). The BMW compared to the M, the M will less maintence and costs so you experience will be positive.

A quick note, one other way to check for a oil consumption issue, which I discovered after mine got a new engine, is to take of the air filter tube and look for oil burn marks/oil pooling on the throttle plate. If you see none, then you may have found one of the few that do not suffer with this issue. Enjoy the ride and keep us posted.

debiniarthug
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 - Luxury Tech Package
2004 Maxima-Driver Package
2000 Maxima

Well, I may drive my M35 the most a year. I have the same philosphy as Mr. Bill. I drive a lot of miles a year and believe buying a pre-owned car with high miles is the best bang for my buck. I purchased my 2006 M35 in January of 2008 with 65,000 miles on it. (the car has been on the road since November of 2005) I currently have 128,000 miles on it and I reduced my driving significantly due to work needs in 2009. I normally drive about 30,000 miles a year.

Things that have gone wrong:

Left Low beam HID headlight out - Normal I guessDealer: $180 - bulb $100 install, Self: $60 - bulb $0 install, 2 hrs of work

Rattling heat shield - my fault, reversing too fast down the drive wayDealer: $330 - shield $200 install, Self: $0 tack weild crack 5 mins of work

1 exhaust tip fell off- my fault, reversing too fast down the drive wayDealer: $??? still not replaced

Driver seat off rails - Manufactoring issueDealer: $1200-1500. Screw that I'll live with it

Replace brakes and tires yearly - Normal I Drive 25-30k miles a yearDealer $350 brakes, $1,300 tires both installed Self: Brakes $78 Tires $1K

Fog light covers cracked - normal when rocks hit the covers at over 120mphDealer: ??? Still not fixed

Center Arm rest sliding machanisum broken - Normal at 128,000 milesDealer: $350 for replacement, Self: $0 Super glue and 1 hour of work

Front cup holder flap wont stay down - NormalDealer:??? Still not fixed but is REALLY starting to get on my nerves

Changed front rotors - NormalDealer: $600, Self $340 (two rotors + Pads )parts, 1.5 hours of work

Maintanence2008 Flushed all fluids, tranny, engine coolant, brake, etcSynthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles2010 I gotta change my sparkplugs soon, Don't know what it'll cost me yet.and flush the fluids

Out of the things that went wrong all was normal except one.

I hope this helps Mr Bill and everyone else who wants to know what to expect at $130K miles.
Modified by debiniarthug at 9:43 AM 1/16/2010

Mr. Bill

THAT is an awesome post...and the kind of info I'm looking for.

Thanks!

fiveliterbeater
Car: 2006 EVO IX, 2000 Maxima SE,2005 Altima 3.5 SE

well mr. debiniarthug (j/k) , that is an excellent post but the man is inquiring on an M45

so let me give a run down of what's been done to my baby (all under warranty of course)

5/08cupholder won't stay in closed positiondelaer fix: replaced cupholder6/08engine makes a tapping noise at startuptook car to dealer, oil level slightly low, return in 700 miles6/08return after 700 mile test, oil was 12mm below full/approxadded 1 quart and performed ICC recall7/08engine rattles at startup, took to dealer, oil level was between ADD and FULL. peformed oil lube and service and commence oil consumption test, return in 1000 miles. 8/08driver side seat rocks back and forthdelaer fix , seat rail link assy is broken. replace under warranty8/08return after 1000 mile oil consumption testoil pressure gauge reading erratic, oil pressure found to be low (12-15 psi)long block replacement authorized10/8return after 500 miles and hear a rattling noise againoil pressure low and erratic (12-15)bearing noise from upper and lowerreplace long block assembly12/8poor shifting at timesdealer fix, tech noted faulty connector in trans/engine harness. found PIN corrosion. replaced TCM sub-harness1/9weatherstiping around driver door coming loosedealer fix, replaced drivers weatherstrip1/9small vibration/sensation when going over speed bumpsdealer fix, control arms torqued in laden positionre-torqued control arms in un-laden position2/9replaced fan module per service campaign3/9drivers seat moves forward when brakingdealer fix, replaced seat rail link assy5/9one headlight stuck one way and AFS light blinking on dashboarddealer fix, replace lamp assy7/9a/c makes whirring noise when runningdealer fix, a/c compressor was leaking, replace A/C compressor assy

as you can see our cars have slight engine problems but i can tell you that i've been taking care of my car and it currently has no flaws. alot of small miscellanous (spelling?) stuff was fixed under warranty and the car pretty much performs like a champ now!

dvan

Running like a champ now? So that means you got it back since that 'fender bender'?

fiveliterbeater

yea...got her back yesterday : )

everything checks out fine. only problem with her is that the passenger window "AUTO UP" feature doesn't work anymore.

i mean you have to hold the button to roll the window up as opposed to hitting the button once to have the window roll-up by itself. weird

WhoDey456

you might n
fiveliterbeater wrote:yea...got her back yesterday : )

everything checks out fine. only problem with her is that the passenger window "AUTO UP" feature doesn't work anymore.

i mean you have to hold the button to roll the window up as opposed to hitting the button once to have the window roll-up by itself. weird
You might need to reset the auto-up. Roll the window up and then hold for 5 sec and this should reset the auto-up.....

fiveliterbeater

does the car have to be on or off ?

WhoDey456

I saw this trick in another post....I would assume on, but try both ways. Look threw some of the newer post and you should find something.

fiveliterbeater

hey it worked!

car has to be in the ON position (but engine has to be off)

i rolled the window all the way down and then rolled the window back up but don't let go of the switch.

i help it up for an addional 5 secs after the window was all the way up and voila! the auto up and auto down feature is restored to that window. thanx buddy!

2007 M45 Sportster
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45

Returning from my trip tp Philadelphia last week, I met a guy @ the gas station with a 1998 Q45. It didn't look too bad. We got to talking @ the pump. It turns out he has 246,000 miles on it & it has had no major issues. He said he has replaced a water pump, tie rod ends, 2 batteries & the regular maintainance stuff. he said this has been a very good car to him.

He says his kid has shown good responsibility & he will get to take the car back to school for the balance of his Jr. year.

I figure, @ 246,000 mi, & virtually no problems, that car doesn't owe him anything.

Now, I know this is a Q & not an M, but it should be close enough.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

My 20 year old Q45 with 326,000 miles has cost less than $48,000 in M&R just under an average of $2,500 per year. The First 7 years was only $8,000 thanks to an extended warranty to 100k.

Obviously your performance tires in larger sizes will be more expensive and labor/parts inflation will be more but many early designs have been improved upon so things should wash.

The 96-01 Q was more Buick like and less edgey than V8 M. Cheaper transmission to replace.

1scott

The Q45 was a great car and proved to be a durable car. The V8 in the Q is a older design that was built to last. The newer M45's is totally different and was not built to last, just for performance. The M35 with the V6 has proven it self to be a good engine. If Mr Bill drives alot, put the miles on a Lexus, it might be boring but it will bore you all the way too 200+kmi.

c35

I know this post is older than most of my children, but...

My 2007 M45S blew its engine yesterday. It has 13XK miles.

I have had the car myself for 10 years (2nd owner).

My wife and I have had 5 Infinitis over the years.

I am just bummed and need some group therapy via the internet.

poemeup
Car: 07 Infiniti M45

c35 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 10:41 am

uh oh, sorry to hear that. did you notice any symptoms in the car in regards to that happening? I have a 2007 m45 as well and im at around 139000 miles too and lately my starter seems to be acting up? I try to start the car and it just clicks once. After about 5-10 seconds I go to start it back up and it works as if nothing happened...

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

c35 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 10:41 am

Happened to my 07 as well. Here is my recommendations for everyone, these cars have V8 engine failures because similar to the BMW S65 V8, the rod bearing clearances are very tight, too tight I'd argue. That is good for performance, but not longevity. You have to replace the oil very often on these engines, and run thicker, good oil. Mobil 0w40 seems to be a good match actually. As always getting Used oil analysis wouldn't hurt either, just to see what all is going on.

Sorry to hear about your engine issues, I replaced mine with a mint condition JDM engine, I got lucky I'll admit, engine looked like it maybe had 20K on it. It's a route that is a gamble but worth taking at times.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”