How do you remove the sunroof when it won't open?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
CoastyAV8R
Car: 1994 Q45

I was going through the instructions for removing the sunroof so I can replace troubleshoot it but it won't open. The manual says to open it 2/3 of the way open and you'll have access to remove the locks and pins for the shade then upbolt the sunroof lid, but this baby won't open because of either broken cables or the bad motor.

Any ideas? I'm sure this bridge has been crossed before, I just don't know the secret.

Pat

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I removed my sunroof without taking it down.. Remember you cant replace just the cable!

you can just unbolt it from the car and it will drop right down....

CoastyAV8R

How did ya do it Wes? I've never even seen the sunroof open on one of these cars so I have no idea what does what. I imagine you have to get in through the sun shade somehow but I'm leery about pushing too hard on the center piece for fear of breaking it.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Generally the rule of thumb of working on the Q is think about how hard you could make the said job, then throw in some bloody knuckles just for grins... Sometimes if your lucky youll break a fastner or something... its really loads of fun i tell you!!! Then after your done you can change the fuel filter so you can get gas in your open wounds just to add the icing on the cake.

As I was saying, in order to bring down the sunroof assy you have to completely take down the headliner. That means removing the roof trim (where the O**** handles are), the front trim where the sunvisors are and so on. Everything is held in with clips (with the exception of the handles) so its imperitive to be extra super duper careful unless you want it to look ghetto fabulous. I had T3 do my sunroof (before I owned it) and theres places where the headliner doesn't lay flush like it should....

Good luck!

CoastyAV8R

Not quite the easy answer I was hoping for. I'm going to go stare at it for a while and see if something comes to mind.

What is the purpose of the 2 piece sun shade on the interior side of the sunroof? I don't understand what the piece in the center is there for.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

ITs for the vent. When you press the rear button on the sunroof switch the back part of the sunroof cracks itself and brings up the center part of the headliner....

The Sunroof track goes back nearly to the back of the roof on either sides..... The whole assembly is proabbly about 4 feet long...

The sunroof is a PITA but its not the end of the world... Its an afternoon job but its still not terrible...

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”