How do you put Rogue in TPMS Re-learn mode?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
RickFlorida
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select

I had new OEM TPMS sensors installed in my wife's 2015 Rogue Select new tires. They are pre-programmed meaning instead of being cloned, you simply just put the car in re-learn mode and then activate/learn each tire to the ECU.

I thought this would be better than cheap Autels from China that have to be clones but here's what happened. For the first 4 days, there was zero TPMS warning lights so I assumed the tire shop "re-learned" the sensors to the ECU properly. But on the 5th day of driving, the TPMS light now flashes when you first start the car and then goes solid after a minute.

These are brand new Denso (made in Japan) sensors. I assume the first thing that should be tried is to re-learn again in case the ECU just didn't like the way they were learned the first time. Maybe the tech missed a step?

Is it possible to place a Rogue select 2015 into TPMS re-learn mode without a 10,000 dollar scan tool? On the Frontier and Xterra, there is a TPMS wire connector on the ODB2 connector. You simply ground that connector out with a paperclip 6 times to put the Nissan in re-learn mode, then you can re-learn the sensors to the ECU.

But the Rogue has no TPMS connector near the ODB2. Is there a way to I can do this myself or must I have a shop use a 10,000 dollar scan tool? I did purchase one of those universal TPMS tools so all I need to do is put the Rogue in "re-learn" mode to try and connect the sensors to the ECU.
The tire shop won't fix it since they didn't provide the part. (I bought the sensors from Rock Auto)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

They haven't used a manual relearn connection for years, your gen2 doesn't have one. The blinky lamp for the first minute means there's a system error, not just a low tire. If one of the new sensors is crapped out, you should be able to tell which one by putting up the tire pressures on the Info display. If they're all down then your BCM's receiver is inoperative for some reason, the TPMS functions are all integral with the BCM. Only a code-read will tell you about that.

RickFlorida

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:46 am
They haven't used a manual relearn connection for years, your gen2 doesn't have one. The blinky lamp for the first minute means there's a system error, not just a low tire. If one of the new sensors is crapped out, you should be able to tell which one by putting up the tire pressures on the Info display. If they're all down then your BCM's receiver is inoperative for some reason, the TPMS functions are all integral with the BCM. Only a code-read will tell you about that.
Thank you so much for your input, that's very helpful and appreciated. I thought about that (wondering if I could find out which sensor is having a problem if it's only one). I checked the Denso box to see if I can find a date code but did not confirm one). It's possible that one of the sensors got damaged or is not sitting right. But.... the car was driven for at least 4 days at all speed without any tpms lights coming on until the 5th day so this is so weird.

I made an appointment with a local repair shop that only works on Japanese cars so they should be able to check if sensors are working or if the ECU just needs a re-learns.

I didn't think this 2015 Rogue select could tell me which of the sensors is showing which PSI on each tire. That's selectable on the dash menu? I did return the the tire shop when light first came on in case it was low tire pressure or a valve stem was damaged from installing the new tires. But they confirmed my PSI is perfect on all 4 tires.

RickFlorida

I did a little more digging. I believe only some Rogues are equipped with the ability for the dashboard to tell you which tire pressure is what. I think I'll keep my appointment and let the repair shop find out what's going on. But thank you! It was helpful to know that the manual TPMS connector near the OBD2 port is only on older nissans. That explains why the Frontier and Xterra have it as they were designed as early as 2000 or 2003.

That's annoying that the manufacturers are allowed to give so little access for owners to do simple maintenance or repairs on new cars. I don't understand how this is legal.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sorry, my bad, I didn't notice you had a Select and not a gen2. I just checked the EWD and there's no manual interface connection on your '15. You can check the display options, but I don't think you can display the pressures on a gen1 either. Maybe Casper or one of the other gen1 owners here can confirm or correct that. If there's no display then you'll need a scan to see what's going on, the BCM is still the device in charge (the data comes in from the tires through the RKE receiver).

RickFlorida

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:08 am
Sorry, my bad, I didn't notice you had a Select and not a gen2. I just checked the EWD and there's no manual interface connection on your '15. You can check the display options, but I don't think you can display the pressures on a gen1 either. Maybe Casper or one of the other gen1 owners here can confirm or correct that. If there's no display then you'll need a scan to see what's going on, the BCM is still the device in charge (the data comes in from the tires through the RKE receiver).
Okay thank you. So am I using the wrong term of ECU? Is it the BCM that the TPMS sensors are actually assigned the sensor I.D.'s too when they use a tool to "re-learn" the sensors to the car?

Have a great day and I'll report back what the case turns out to be.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

ECU is a generic term, it means "electronic control unit". There are a crap-ton of them on any late model Nissan. ECM (engine control), TCM (transmission), BCM (body), ABS (brakes), and IPDM (electric power) at a minimum, and most have a lot more. In this case, yes, the BCM is the ECU which memorizes and reads data from the TPMS sensors.

RickFlorida

UPDATE:

A local repair shop that also sells and mounts tires and works on Japanese for the most part was able to properly write the I.D.'s of the Denso TPMS sensors to the ECU/BCM. They have been working for over a week now. It's a mystery as to how the corporate tire shop that originally installed them was able to have no error codes show up for 4 days. But I'm thinking we should never ask a corporate place to install OEM sensors because they are only use to cloning the universal TPMS sensors from Autel.

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I had discount tire do some sensors on my 09 Altima. The light stayed out for a day or two and came back on. I found some video that showed setting each tire to a specific psi and used a jumper wire to ground a plug out. Worked better than their so called computer.

RickFlorida

D1dad wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:16 am
I had discount tire do some sensors on my 09 Altima. The light stayed out for a day or two and came back on. I found some video that showed setting each tire to a specific psi and used a jumper wire to ground a plug out. Worked better than their so called computer.
Thats exactly what happened to me! It was Tire Kingdom but I bet they use the SAME EXACT Autel scanners and TPMS i.d. transmitters.

For the corporate places, the lube techs and tire guys probably are given the same Autel provided scan tools because the corporate places all get universal TPMS sensors from Autel.
(They probably get the computers for free because they buy all the sensors).

But what is annoying is that for me and you, the shops were unaware that they would not be able to properly transmit the sensor I.D.'s or they were not able to properly clear the ECU or BCM's.

My independent shop fixed it correctly for only 79 bucks. (Those are real mechanics so I guess they have better bi-directional scan tools?

Why is all of this such a mystery and why does it have to be so confusing and annoying?

Return to “Rogue Forum”