how do you put a vacuum advance distributor on a D21

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
reh4960
Car: 86.5 nissan hardbody

Any advise would be very helpful. So I converted my 86.5 hardbody from the tbi to a weber carb and it doesn't run the way I was hoping it would so I'm trying to put a vacuum advance distributor on it out of 86 720 that had a carb. I just can not figure out how to hook it up , there is a plug that has 4 wires that I'm pretty sure need to be hooked up. I was told that you don't need any power to the distributor besides what you get from the coils but why would it have that plug if that were so.

RT22
Car: 1991 nissan hardbody

Just a guess but could be for tach and almost sure ecm, I mean newer electronic dist has many signals sent to ecm to manage engine fuel etc. You need a wiring schematic from the yr of the truck it came from to track down those wires to be 100% sure

reh4960

Thanks for the reply. What I'm trying to do is completly bypass the computer I should'nt need the computer with a carb and I just thought the vacuum advanced distributor would make it run better since the one it has now is run by the computer and designed for the fuel injection.

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

What's not good about the way it runs? Is there something amiss in the powerband?

reh4960

it just doesn't have much power and it uses to much gas. If its going to be guttless the least it could do is get good gas mileage. I think if I put the vacuum advance distributor on it and do a little tuning I should be able to get decent mileage and have atleast a little power.

seang

Carbureted versions of the Naps-Z engine came in Datsun 720 pickups, one of those vacuum distributors might bolt up to your motor, but I'm not sure.

reh4960

I did get a distributor off a 86 720 it bolts up fine its just the plug in is different.

seang

Is it going to work?

reh4960

Update, so I put the vacuum advance distributor in the truck. I took the cap and rotor off and I saw that the ignition control module had 4 wires with letters next to them, the one that said I, I hooked up the the - side of the intake coil the one that said E I hooked up to the - side of the exhaust coil and the one that said B I hooked up to the + side of the coil. The one that said C I did not now where to put so I just grounded it to the truck and it started and runs fine. I did gain a little power not as much as I was hoping now I'll just have to see if the mileage improves.

sidewayz_d21
Car: Nissan D21 86

Hey man can you gave me a detailed information about the diagram i need help on connecting the wires.. I’m running a weber as well with a Cam . thanks

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”