How do you organize your toolbox and workbench

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

I have come to realize that my tool box organization may be neat, but it is taking up way too much space. My uncle and Granddaddy taught me how to mechanic, but they just threw tools in boxes. I need to reorganize. Please share some pics and let's see the best organization and like our auto maintenance come up with a NICO standard!

:worthless:

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Ok, so you need a storage system before you can organize anything, just a overview of what I have. Shelving is important to keep stuff like cleaners, lubricants, car maintenance products, rubber gloves etc. stored and out of the way. Also, a nice quality bench vise, stool, cordless tools like a drill or impact wrench, and retractable lighting helps:

Then just simply use the drawers to separate what you have. I keep my metric and standard stuff separate. Use the smaller drawers for consumables like drill bits, tie wraps, etc.

I also have a go bag for long trips:

Air compressor and shop vacuum is also important, as well as PPE like gloves and ear plugs:

AlabamaDan
1998 Infiniti QX4

I had to run out and take some photos. I just took pics of my tool boxes, because my bench is still a work in progress, but here are mine.

Here are my modest tool boxes:

Here is my Craftsman metric set (all USA)

Here is my Craftsman SAE set (all USA)

Here is my new Gunmetal Craftsman set with 120t ratchets - Metric and SAE (Made in Tiawan, but I couldn't resist.)

Craftsman 1/2 drive tools (USA) and some other misc items

Craftsman wrenches (all USA)

Craftsman (USA) screwdrivers and some odd ones that I like

Pliers, etc. Some craftsman, some Channellock, some misc.

And of course some things just get tossed in.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Mine is complete chaos, except for my wrenches. I hang them on the wall next to my tool box. Each one has a screw drilled into a stud to hang on.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I dislike chaos, but my sense of order is "do I know where to find it" and not "does it look really pretty". My drawers are a mess but the things that are in them are supposed to be in them.

I got some beefy 5 drawer file cabinets (nearly as tall as I am) with a really cool dual-action top drawer (you can open the front cover like an oldschool non-rolling garage door without having to slide the shelf out. I keep one in the garage with tools and fluids and such in it. I keep the other in the shed out back with garden tools and chemicals and stuff.
I have an old Craftsman toolchest set I got from my Grandpa. A couple drawers are clunky but it works great and it's seen everything from Jaguar E-types to VW Beetles worked on in front of it. That's got my wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, saws, hammers, etc.
I also lined one long wall of my double-depth garage with crappy cabinets I got from an office building remodel. Tons of storage. I've got shelves below them but mounted all of it in such a way that there's plenty of room to open all four doors of two cars parked side by side if needed.
My garden shed is about the size of a normal 2-car garage, with a small rolling door, so I keep my motorcycles and yard machines out there, along with all my sprinkler and gardening stuff.

My electronics workbench is probably the most orderly of all. Tiny parts and tools that all look very similar benefit from well-labelled drawers and trays.

The garage:

The electronics workbench:

I won't show the shed, it lacks lighting (no power, though I have a rooftop solar panel/PWM charger/12v battery project in the works that'll change that) so it photographs badly.

AlabamaDan
1998 Infiniti QX4

Nice space Minister!

AlabamaDan
1998 Infiniti QX4

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:50 pm
Mine is complete chaos, except for my wrenches. I hang them on the wall next to my tool box. Each one has a screw drilled into a stud to hang on.
I thought about hanging all my tools on a peg board, but I like being able to lock them up.

Return to “General Chat”