how do you listen to music to play along to it? drummers mainly i guess

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

ive now ruined 2 stereo systems by setting them up near my kit and playing music as loud as it will go as i play...im trying to figure out a better way to do it

i know in studios you listen to a track through headphones, but im guessing so those are really expensive headphones, and id probably have to plug them into my ipod or something

am i missing something? its a royal pita trying to cover songs when i have to listen then play, listen then play, gets frustrating real quick

xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

I was going to say headphones. They dont have to be incredibly expensive, just anything that does a decent job to keep the sound in the headphone area instead of escaping out around the ear. The headphones will last a long time since you shouldn't have to keep the volume all the way up. Thats pretty much the easiest option. The other one is to buy a very expensive stereo setup that wont blow when it only sees high volumes.

nismofly

actually more the problem is the kick drum causing skipping, i literally think i destroy the cd player's skip resisting ability, to the point where after a while they just flat out dont work anymore

it could also be because of the volume, also because of the combination of the two maybe

the other thing ive considered is wearing those earbud headphones under my earmuffs that i always wear when i play (like the kind you wear in construction or outside at airport and stuff, $25 and take away like over 30 dB, plus they have a great effect on the highs when i play accents that really sting the ears, basically super earplugs)

the problem with that is those earbuds have the worst sound quality ever

i think i may go to guitar center this weekend and look around in every department and talk to some people and see what i can find

xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

Good plan on the Guitar Center trip. It's always fun to just walk around there and drool for a little bit.

Another thing you can do is move in with a guitarist. I lived with a drummer buddy of mine for a bit, and we played together every day.

nismofly

a lot of times i lock myself in the cymbal room with a stick and listen to $400 k custom rides and stuff because there are always people playing in the main drum section where all the kits are and only 1/2 the people that sit down are actually enjoyable

ive got a roomie that has an acoustic and likes to play goo goo dolls, john mayer, occasional standouts that i actually listen to on my own like alkaline trio or some hair metal songs...so we end up playing that stuff, which is boring as anything to play on drums

he listens to a wide range of stuff but thats really his favorites and its what he chooses to play

hes also got a tiny little amp so even with an electric we couldnt play too loud, whereas i go home and ive got friends that play 4x12 guitar cabs and 8x10 bass cabs and stuff like that, so i can play as loud as i want

cmfireman
Car: '96 Nissan S14 SE

+

= No problems.

They even have drummers headphones that have a built in metronome to help you keep time. Just make sure the headphones you buy cup to your ears comfortably.

Here are some decent headphones in the $25-40 range:http://www.musiciansfriend.com...age=2

nismofly

the built in click track would be awesome

seeing as theyre at musicians friend, theyre probably at GC too, so i should find them there

im definately going to check that out

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Yeah, headphones work wonders.

When I was in HS, I used to have this pretty decent jam box that I would set up on a table behind me in my little corner where my kit was. I had a set of regular walkman headphones that I would wear, then put a hat on to keep them tight against my head. That always seemed to work. Granted, that was 15 years ago...lol.

But what I want to know is how hard do you friggan play man. I have never, ever, had a CD player skip on me from the kick...and I hit hard.

thekage
Car: 98 Dodge Caravan, 98 Dodge Intrepid

Headphones are the way to go! I used to play with headphones and set my cd player on a pillow to give it some shock absorption...

nismofly

C33LaurelRacer wrote:But what I want to know is how hard do you friggan play man. I have never, ever, had a CD player skip on me from the kick...and I hit hard.
i never used to have my kit in my basement, so underneath it was wood floor, and the stereo just sat next to the hats on a table, im sure every bit of vibration went to it

also i dont know what your kick consists of, but ive got a 22x18 with a superkick I, and its probably one of the louder kicks ive heard when i really go to town, and i guess i do play pretty damn hard

we need to start a "playing your instrument videos" thread

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Superkick I...what exactly is that? Is it something that enhances the sound of the kick?

My kick on my first Pearl was a 22"X18". The room I had the kit in was a room with hardwood floors, the jam box sat just to my 5 o'clock position on a little end table.

nismofly

superkick is the aquarian line of kick heads, long considered the must have kick head from everyone i spoken to thats played one

evans just released something similar recently but theyre like twice as expensive

ill have to get a video of me playing online soon, im going to try to have it by tomorrow

SketchyRollin564
Car: SR hatchback in the werks

Didnt read the whole thread, but heres what i do:

http://www.drumdogs.com/messag....html

Also, thats a freakin awsome drum forum to be on

theres also some pretty cool stuff on that page, and thread in general for home made DIY drum stuff

nismofly

ok so i went this past weekend and got the vic firth headphones, $50 at GC, and i have to say ive only used them for a day and its probably the best $50 ive spent on my drums

CoreyIsWhatWeAimFor

I know that my drummer uses a pair of earbuds, but they were very expensive models.

And even then, he tapes over his ear to lock in the noise of the click for our metronome.

Good luck!

Asmar
Car: 1994 Nissan Skyline

xekushnr wrote:Good plan on the Guitar Center trip. It's always fun to just walk around there and drool for a little bit.

Another thing you can do is move in with a guitarist. I lived with a drummer buddy of mine for a bit, and we played together every day.

nismofly

nismofly wrote:ok so i went this past weekend and got the vic firth headphones, $50 at GC, and i have to say ive only used them for a day and its probably the best $50 ive spent on my drums
still true...

Return to “The Music Room”