how do you drift? not as in how but what technique do you use most?

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
bikerskater
Car: 1990 240sx with s13 front end

cause ive notice that if i try to drift while using 2 hands on the steering wheel its not good nor do i slide very well but when i use one i slide a lot better and smoother i also for some reason never pull the ebrake to slide just clutch kick idk why?

QuicksilverFX

depends on the technique i guess, some times there's no need to touch the e-brake so i guess you would have both hands on the wheel during the slide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlrQHJYedk

chaosli
Car: 89 nissan 240sx coupe FTW
99 mazda miata
93 bmw 325i RIP

you should search the forum a little better. there is a whole section on Nissan drifting here on nico

zeroforum?id=147

bikerskater
Car: 1990 240sx with s13 front end

o my bad

moulton712
Car: coupe, hatch, both s13s

why are you trying to destroy a very nice car?i leave my least attractive car to beat on. body panels are expensive.

for noobs that don't know the language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_(motorsport)

thefro526
Car: BMW 325Ci & S13 Coupe

Think of painting, each painter holds the brush differently, uses different techniques to get a desired effect, and two painters can paint the same object in two totally different ways.

The same can be said for drifting, the basics techniques are all the same but, you can use them in anyway you see fit. I've always liked to clutch kick to initiate but even then usually only use one hand on the steering wheel and use the other hand to e-brake for more angle. I've also seen people who like to initiate by e-braking to save the clutch or shift lock but it's risky.

The biggest habit I had to break when learning how to drift was letting go of the wheel. When your car starts to slide and you want to counter steer let go of the wheel and let it go to where it wants to go and correct from there. I've never met a person who was fast enough to steer a S13 by had.

Joe

i use whatever is appropriate for the initial corner.

not all corners are equal. its a mix of clutch kick, power over, and ebrake. but it all depends on the corner and the speed.

shmex
Car: 1990 CA18DET Hatch, 1992 Stock Coupe

I was just at the track. On the jay turn I'd use a feint downshift intiation....for sweep I clutchkicked, for transfer I used shiftlock....that's my style. I just never touch the ebrake.....

xckid
Car: 2004 Chevy Blazer ZR2

for most quick sharp turns ill try setting up wide and while turning in real quick rip the ebrake then clutch kick and let it slide around the corner while controlling my throttle and brake. I use to never use the ebrake but when i do use it i can start my slide earlier in the corner to bring out a full drift.

Biggamehit
Car: R33 Skyline
DR30 Skyline
Sil80
180sx

yea well put above.

everyone has there own style... i never really touched the e-brake at all.. i have only ever been on one track that required an high angle drift and my ebrake was broken so i could not practice that.

Modified by Biggamehit at 5:17 AM 9/24/2008

brandonDavid
Car: 1992 240sx, 1992 D21

xckid wrote:for most quick sharp turns ill try setting up wide and while turning in real quick rip the ebrake then clutch kick and let it slide around the corner while controlling my throttle and brake. I use to never use the ebrake but when i do use it i can start my slide earlier in the corner to bring out a full drift.
yeah, i don't use the ebrake too much either, sometimes mid turn just to get a wee bit more angle out of it. but most of the time it's just a clutch kick.

and thefro +a million for letting go of the wheel, had to teach myself that too, and no, i don't think anyone is that fast....

supreamS14
Car: 96 240sx S13-blacktop Sr20deT

I thought I was the only one to not use the e-break. I weight transfer most of the time.

Biggamehit
DR30 Skyline
Sil80
180sx

yea.. the ebrake is not a bad thing at all.. but it shows you have grown a bit when you don't have to use it to initiate.

for the tracks i have been on a simple feint, jab steer with gas or a blip of the clutch pedal is all i needed to get sideways and have fun

Joe

Biggamehit wrote:yea.. the ebrake is not a bad thing at all.. but it shows you have grown a bit when you don't have to use it to initiate.

for the tracks i have been on a simple feint, jab steer with gas or a blip of the clutch pedal is all i needed to get sideways and have fun
wtf grown as a driver? have you ever watched the top drivers? MANY of them use ebrake entries.

again, it depends on the corner. a long very slight bend entry can only be accomplished by a good ebrake entry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...lated

the only way to enter that corner was with an ebrake entry. trust me. i tried everything else.

eDmSiL80
Car: sil80

like everyone stated depending on the layout. i use various styles.

usually always stick with the e-brake entry. i love entering in high speed. i wanna tag it called the "magic stick" lol.

use to clutch kick when i first started but got useless for fast entries with low power. if u dont use the e-brake, ur missin out.

then when i get bored before an entry ill try to feint all the way into the entry haha.

Biggamehit
DR30 Skyline
Sil80
180sx

please sir... just take a second...go back and view what i said completely in both my post.

you may have missed a few words
Modified by Biggamehit at 5:16 AM 9/24/2008

Joe

Biggamehit wrote:please sir... just take a second...go back and view what i said completely in both my post.

you may have missed a few words

Modified by Biggamehit at 5:16 AM 9/24/2008
um, ok

"yea.. the ebrake is not a bad thing at all.. but it shows you have grown a bit when you don't have to use it to initiate."

now go re-read what i said

Biggamehit
DR30 Skyline
Sil80
180sx

ok brother you win... i know nothing about this sport
Modified by Biggamehit at 6:12 AM 9/25/2008

Joe

Biggamehit wrote:ok brother you win... i know nothing about this sport

Modified by Biggamehit at 6:12 AM 9/25/2008
dude when did i say that? calm down. its just drifting.

just explain better what you meant to say. you said not using the ebrake means you have grown? on what level? give more detail.

Chukidori

thefro526 wrote:I've never met a person who was fast enough to steer a S13 by had.
I steer my s13 by hand...Im stock power and open diff, usually my hands are just a malestrom of steering fury its pretty violant. I hear its bad to "over steer" the car, but I pretty much have to. I mean it its just ridiculous..Well i take it back I dont take my hands off the wheel, but i dont actively steer ALL the time either. I can let the wheel slide by reducing my grip on it to a minimum, I can also still get feedback from the front wheels this way. but only on initiation...to sustain a slide I do work the wheel consistantly and violantly to balance out the understeer.
Modified by Chukidori at 11:09 AM 10/6/2008

Naloos13
Car: 1989 S13

mix of feint and clutch kick. some power over. And yes +1 to whoever said e-brake is the best. I have a hydro-ebrake and i have no idea how i could come in hot to a tight turn without that e-brake +1!

Koshin
Car: JP'd out Y32 Gloria GTU, 750 hp '87 Grand National, '63 Impala SS 327/4 speed

combination of feint and shiftlock most of the time, which result in powerover often...havent been anywhere I needed the e-brake yet...

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”