How do you check your 4 wheel drive ?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
versa071979
Car: 07 versa

I have an 01 path le auto Trans how do you check 4 wheel drive to make sure it's working last year in the snow it didn't seem like it was working I only tried the one time now as winter is approaching I want check to make sure ifs working right
Thanks all responses greatly appreciated

versa071979
Car: 07 versa

Anyone

qx4crow
Car: 1997 Infiniti QX4

You should feel a difference in the power and steering of the vehicle.
Go to an empty parking lot with the pathfinder on put it in neutral and move the 4x4 switch to 4 low. Put back into drive and accelerate forward, do not exceed 10mph.
You should feel a big difference in power of the pathfinder "less"

If 4low works 4high and Auto 4x4 should as well.

Again don't drive far in 4low and keep it slow. Do steps in reverse to take it out of 4low and back to two wheel drive.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

what i do is find a steep bank (steep enough to lift a rear wheel up if you drive up the bank at an angle).

In 2WD, the truck will stop as soon as the rear wheel lifts off the ground. In 4WD, the truck should lift the rear wheel up and continue climbing, even with one rear wheel in the air.

doode
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE
3.3 V6
5 MT
383,000 km and counting

If you have the time, you can throw the car on 4 jackstands.

An easier way would be to find a steep hill when it is wet and do a moderately aggressive start from a standstill.

Wheelspin in 4wd = not engaging.

No wheelspin in 4wd = engaged.

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

Similar to what others have said: I'll go find a wet grassy field and leave it in 2WD (a gravel or ice-covered parking lot works too). When stopped, turn the wheel a bit and hit the accelerator. The rear end will swing out. Throw it into Auto or 4WD and try the same thing.

The difference between 2WD and Auto or 4WD is huge, there's much more control. Noticing the difference between Auto and 4WD is tougher, but in Auto mode there is a bit of a delay before the 4WD kicks in.

ltsnotme
Car: 1996 Pathfinder XE 4WD

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”