How do we get music files onto the Music Box hard drive?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
jschaff

The user's manual says that the only way to get files onto the hard drive is by playing a CD and "recording" it to the hard drive while listening to the song. If this is the only way to get files onto the hard drive, then I would say this is probably the only substandard design feature that I have found on my new coupe.

Does anyone know if there is a way for ipod files or compact flash files to be transferred to the 9.3GB hard drive? Or even bluetooth wireless transfer.

nKhona
Car: '08 Infinity G37S Journey -- Red

It does rip the CD pretty quick. So far with the handful of CDs I have ripped it was done by the third song.

However, I have not found an easier way to get them in. I agree there should be an easier way.

torbach1
Car: 2009 M45x

There's no easier way. You just have to go cd by cd. It rips them a lot more quickly than the actual songs and you can switch to any other sound source while it's ripping - the screen will tell you that it's recording the cd by saying 'rec cd' on the top right or bottom left depending on where you are at the time.

Another annoying aspect is that while you can categorize every cd - eg. pop, rock, classical, etc., if you select 'play by category', it only lets you play from 4 categories, none of which are in the pop, rock classical, etc. list. Doesn't make much sense. You can play by mood, but there are only 4 moods, and you literally have to set the mood song by song. I just finished doing that today - it took me about a week's worth of work every time I stopped at a light.

Regards,Tamir

Nismo_Nick

I could not agree more.....it needs to be more user friedly

jschaff

I created a CD of a bunch of MP3 music files. I turned on Automatic Recording, and it is not transferring the files to the hard drive. What do I need to do for this to occur?

Does it only transfer .wav files? What a stupid system to not allow ipod music files to be transferred.

likwidfuzion
Car: 2008 Black Obsidian G37S 6MT

It has to be recorded as a music CD, not a CD filled with MP3s.

Blakt out
Car: 2008 G37s

Maybe a dumb question but do you need NAV to do this?

likwidfuzion
Car: 2008 Black Obsidian G37S 6MT

Yes, the Music Box (aka the hard drive) only comes with the Navigation Package.

G35autocrosser
Car: '08 G37 6MT Coupe Silver w/Prem,Nav, Tint

what is up with the CD player? I thought it was a 6-disc changer, the pre-release materials listed it so and my window sticker listed it the same way, but I can't get more than one CD in it. am I missing something?

i have nav.

carman63
Car: 2007 GTI, 2008 G37

With the Nav system you lose the in-dash CD changer. Instead, you get a single CD player, Compact Flash slot, and 9GB worth of storage space for ripping CDs to.

G35autocrosser
Car: '08 G37 6MT Coupe Silver w/Prem,Nav, Tint

I hear you but I don't get it.... why then did all of the materials, including the actual window sticker on the car say 6-CD changer. I would prefer hitting randomn on a few CD's than manually messing with the music player.

On another note... how do you get the music player to automatically record the CD rather than manually hitting record?

nKhona
Car: '08 Infinity G37S Journey -- Red

Mine defaulted to auto-recording CDs, but hit Settings then I think Audio. I'll have to check, but I know there is a setting to switch auto record on and off is in there.

Also you can set the music box to play in shuffle mode. I don't remember what the button was labeled but it was to the right and down from the volume knob, it cycled through all the repeat/shuffle combos.

LOGO
Car: For now, 2006 Ford Mustang GT

Will the single CD player play MP3-encoded CDs?

Hi.This is my first post, BTW.

mranderson
Car: Car - Who needs a car

Welcome! It will play both MP3 and WMA encoded files from CD or (if equipped) the Compact Flash port.

pdubb

You have to switch inputs to the music box, it will say no file available or something but keep pressing the menu key in the bottom left. When your there, go to i believe music box configuration (that's wrong, but its the last on at the bottom) then music box settings, there you can change to auto record by selecting it and hitting yes.

If you have an Mp3 cd, like he said above, it will not record, has to be .wav i guess (Music CD). Which sucks cause you can only fit 20 or so songs on there where as a Mp3 CD you can fit 200.

I apologize if that is wrong, but take those steps to get to the menu, and you'll figure it out.

CONGRATS on the first post LOGO! Welcome.

Yimbie
Car: 2008 Ivory Pearl Infiniti G37

LOGO wrote:Will the single CD player play MP3-encoded CDs?

Hi.This is my first post, BTW.
Hey Logo, welcome to NICO! The single CD player will play MP3 CDs but not rip.

- Yimbie

cretan
Car: G37

Please see my other post regarding my CD player which stopped working (disc read error) despite running a cleaning disc and after haveing the car a week and recording 40 CD's to the Hard Drive.

While the CD player was still working i tried playing a CD with MP3's recorded (not as music CD but just copying MP3's to the disc.

I could not get the CD MP3's to play much less be recorded...

Maybe my CD drive was going bad at that time but it still was playing Music CD's (not recorded). The MP3 files were on a CD-R disc.

2 questions:

1. Do you need to record a "music CD" to play MP3 files as mentioned above or are you able to play recorded MP3 files by simply burning them on to the disc as MP3 files...

2. Per my other post can anyone tell me if the dealer will have to replace the entire Music Box system including HardDrive when they replace the CD player or will they just be able to replace the CD player?

I hope they do a good job removing and replacing the drive since the car is only a week old and I hate the thought of a tech ripping into the center console.....

panj

Bizarre you can't record from flash card slot. Also, appears you can rip the CD but can you select songs to rip? I just want to copy selected songs from CD's not the whole CD!

I've spent some time creating recorded CD's with selected songs from various other CD's and can't use any of this effort! Also, the fidelity of MP3 at the indicated recording densities is not that great and my experience is that .wav files are better anyway. Very dissapointing design.

You also are reduced to one CD with the hard drive setup so would have to shift between old recorded CD's. Might be better off with a 6 disc player or I imagine I will just need to use an IPOD/flash card to do easy PC download to one source of whole library without re-recording all over again!.

Mr spock
Car: 2008 G37S

You guys do know what we cant record from the compact flash port, right?

It's our old friend Content Protection. Compact flash data is more likely bootleged, a CD in hand is more likely legit. I'll certain this is the reason.

carman63
Car: 2007 GTI, 2008 G37

Mr spock wrote:You guys do know what we cant record from the compact flash port, right?

It's our old friend Content Protection. Compact flash data is more likely bootleged, a CD in hand is more likely legit. I'll certain this is the reason.
Right. But what's to stop someone from checking out a CD from the local library, then ripping that and returning the CD? Slower process, same copyright infringement.

I think it's more a limitation of whomever they bought their technology from. And it's probably the same people that provide the nav and bluetooth software. (can't remember the name, they're mentioned in a few other threads.)

Mr spock
Car: 2008 G37S

Sure you could do that. You could also sit in the parking lot with your friends and rip their CDs into your hard drive. Lots of ways around it. But considering how easy it is to just copy files from a CF onto a HD, it would be crazy for them to leave this feature off. Yet they did and I believe its for a reason, not lazyness or they just forgot it.

I see similar things with satellite TV DVRs. Content Protection, thanks to the MPAA and RIAA.

smark
Car: 2008 Infiniti G37S & 1993 Lexus SC300

G35autocrosser wrote:I hear you but I don't get it.... why then did all of the materials, including the actual window sticker on the car say 6-CD changer. I would prefer hitting randomn on a few CD's than manually messing with the music player.

On another note... how do you get the music player to automatically record the CD rather than manually hitting record?
On my window sticker in the NAVIGATION PACKAGE section is printed "9.3GB Music Box Hard Drive (Replaces In-dash 6-CD Changer."

Why would anyone care or be upset that, in effect, the Music Box is a much larger than 6-CD changer?

The answer to your last question is on page 4-52 of the owner's manual.

AFAIK - a music CD is more similar to a vinyl record than to a digital computer file such as MP3. The CD player laser reads the "groove" embedded in the suface of the music CD.

Modified by smark at 9:42 AM 10/7/2007

Chaotisynthetix
Car: 2009 Maxima

smark wrote:Why would anyone care or be upset that, in effect, the Music Box is a much larger than 6-CD changer?
I am. I cant load Music onto the thing from an MP3 Disc, I cant do it from the compact flash. Also, The compact flash card can only be 2gigs (waste of $60's for me there). With my old Infiniti, I had a 6 disc changer and all six discs played mp3s. This is turns out to be an easier way I can hold a lot of music into the car. Also the music box is annoying to work. I'm really dissapointed with the whole thing.

This is what I want to do and i want to know if its possible. well, I know that its possible I just dont know if anyone has done the coding or done it yet. Can I take the Hard Drive out of the car, load it onto my computer and add in the data? Is there software Available that I can load a video player onto it as well? Or replace the 9gig with a 200gig?

pfarmer
Car: 2008 GXS with technology package

G35autocrosser wrote:I hear you but I don't get it.... why then did all of the materials, including the actual window sticker on the car say 6-CD changer. I would prefer hitting randomn on a few CD's than manually messing with the music player.

So do you have a 6 cd changer in the trunk, mine does? As to your second question, it is a matter of setup so I would read the manual that came with your car at this point as it would tell you how the system works and how to set it up. My window sticker also mentions a 6 cd in dash changer but also states that it is replace with the music box and single cd in dash unit.

Perry

shokhead
Car: 08 G35 Journey Sedan

Either 08 or 09 if you get the nav no in truck changer. I wonder if you can still add one?

pfarmer

shokhead wrote:Either 08 or 09 if you get the nav no in truck changer. I wonder if you can still add one?
I did not have to add one. I have nav and I have a 6 disc in trunk changer.

Now I don't know if this is the case with the coupe, I would have to look it up, but it certainly is the case with my 08 G36 XS.

Perry

pfarmer

shokhead wrote:Either 08 or 09 if you get the nav no in truck changer. I wonder if you can still add one?
Since you have an Altima you don't have the manual. This is from Infiniti and is the manual for the 2008 Coupe:

-----------------------------------

MUSIC BOX HARD DRIVE (models withnavigation system)

The Music Box hard drive audio system canstore songs from CDs being played. The systemhas a 9.3 gigabyte (GB) storage capacity andcan record up to 200 hours (approximately2,900 songs).

The following CDs can be recorded in the MusicBox hard drive audio system. CDs without MP3/WMA files

Hybrid Compact Disc Digital Audio (HybridCD-DA) specification in Super Audio CDs

Compact Disc Digital Audio (CD-DA) specificationin CD-Extras

First session of multisession disc

The optional in-trunk CD changer cannot recordmusic to the hard disk.

----------------------------------

It would have been nice to be able to rip from the changer, but that doesn't happen. Otherwise you could load it up, play music while washing your car and when you are done the HD would be ready for another load.

While I like the HD for its ability of ripping the thing I don't understand is the difficulty in playing back the music. One can state it is for safety but the fact is you try to make end runs around the lockouts to get to your favorite music. Also it is sort of a hollow statement when the iPod features are basically untouched while driving.

In reality you only have a fairly small amount of storage compared to the iPod so clear an iPod is the choice to use (except of course the ripping feature now has to be done elsewhere). Using the iPod you have a much larger storage and you have less limitation on what you can load on it. But you do need to think about how you are going to view these files as well since the much larger amount of files can present an issue with performance when searching.

Perry

AZWoodWorker

Chaotisynthetix wrote:
I am. I cant load Music onto the thing from an MP3 Disc, I cant do it from the compact flash. Also, The compact flash card can only be 2gigs (waste of $60's for me there). With my old Infiniti, I had a 6 disc changer and all six discs played mp3s. This is turns out to be an easier way I can hold a lot of music into the car. Also the music box is annoying to work. I'm really dissapointed with the whole thing.

This is what I want to do and i want to know if its possible. well, I know that its possible I just dont know if anyone has done the coding or done it yet. Can I take the Hard Drive out of the car, load it onto my computer and add in the data? Is there software Available that I can load a video player onto it as well? Or replace the 9gig with a 200gig?
I'm going to find this out as soon as my warranty expires, but not until then. I can't imagine it's not a standard format, which opens all kinds of mods and options.

Andy470
Car: 2010 Nissan Skyline 370GT or Infiniti EX35

:wtf2: I have the solution to MP3 playbackb off USB...Listen good sorted last night!!! I tried with just mp3 songs on usb with stick in center console port ONLY. The files cannot be on the usb alone. Simply create a folder, name it. ACDC or whatever and put them in the yellow folder now it WILL play mp3. It has to read the FOLDER. The songs cant be on there by themselves PUT THEM IN A FOLDER!!!!! DONE!!! Press AUX button until USB and instantly plays.

Andy470
Car: 2010 Nissan Skyline 370GT or Infiniti EX35

Music box only reads WAV files. Set music box to auto record. As soon as you put a CD into car it will record songs. It rips very fast. Whole album probably done after 2nd or 3rd song. Album is now in the music box. Put CD back in house. I've converted some mp3 as wav files burn them to cd. Put in car and it will now read. Better to fill USB with mp3s and put in usb slot centre console only. The mp3s must be in a yellow created folder to play in car. If the songs are on the usb stand alone. It will NOT read them. Simply create a folder. Put all maps songs into it an done. Press AUX until usb comes up and they will play. You could have thousands of songs thos way and quality is excellent.🙂

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”