How do I set No 1 piston to TDC on compression stroke?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Big Red

I'm pulling the head of my engine and need to know how to do this

jrc90240sx

I belive there is a mark on the crank sproket and the cam sproket that when they are both lined up to there marks you should be at TDS.

Big Red

OK but how do I know if it's on the compression stroke.

Do I turn the crank by hand?

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

You will be on compression if the all the valves are closed on #1 cylinder. Otherwise it will be exhaust stroke. And yes, either turn the crank by hand or with a socket wrench (unless youve total dissambled the front cover).

Big Red

DUH!?!

Why didn't I think of that!

Thanks

jrc90240sx

yeah put a breaker bar on the crank and turn the car over manualy tell your at TDC, might want to take out the spark plugs, if you havnt already.

technoman
Car: puss

Do what I do and Put a long screw driver inside the spark plug hole and of corse remove all the other spark plugs and watch the driver move up and down.

Boostedka
Car: sex, and turbo charging rides

Just compression test it.

Turning the crank by hand is good, but just make sure you are the intake stroke and not the power stroke..

DGA
Car: Cars

Pull the cap of your distributor, watch till the rotor lines up with the #1 cylinder contact point on your distributor cap. Now you are on your compression stroke near the TDC. Look down at your pully and rotate the crankshaft to the indicated TDC line.

BoostFab
Car: S13cp, S13fb, S14z

technoman wrote:Do what I do and Put a long screw driver inside the spark plug hole and of corse remove all the other spark plugs and watch the driver move up and down.

use the marks on the crank or use his method above.
Boostedka wrote:Just compression test it. Turning the crank by hand is good, but just make sure you are the intake stroke and not the power stroke..

what are you talking about....how would you go about "just compression test it" to find the TDC!!!!:confused:

240slider

you could remove the no1 spark plug stuff the hole with a large paper towel and hand turn the motor until the paper shoot out of the hole and that's the compression stroke

deviousKA
Car: 90 240sx NA /72 Datsun 510 NA /86 corolla GTS NA

please people dont be shoving things in your spark plug hole, even screwdrivers. If your crank pulley is on 0 degree mark, the camshaft pin (not the mark on the gear) is at 12 oclock, and both intake and exhaust valves are completely closed on #1 cyl, you are then where you need to be. It is really easy to tell if your valves are closed, because the rockers will be on the backside of the cam lobe, and if you have hydraulic lifters they should spring up and down when you push on them.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”