How do I fix my crazy rear camber?

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
curbsurfer253

After lowering the rear of my 71 510 the wheels camber out like crazy! What can I do to correct the rear camber?

compression

You can slot the holes where your rear control arms bolt to the crossmember. SLotting the inner mounting holes vertically allows camber adjustment, slotting the outer mounting holes horizontally allows toe adjustment. Pretty common, most everyone with a lowered 510 has done this.Or, you can throw together a fully adjustable crossmember, like this one:

The advantage to this is that the mounts pivot on the crossmember, so when you adjust for camber and toe, you dont bind up your control arm bushings.

curbsurfer253

Is that what everyone is talking about when I hear about "penultimate crossmembers"? I've heard of the slotted rear crossmember but I never knew what it was for, thanks a lot !

compression

The fully adjustable one shown in the picture is called the "penultimate" because the guy who designed it gave it that name.

Just slotting the holes is called....well, a slotted crossmember.

I suggest just going the slotted route, and make sure you use rubber (not polyurethane) bushings in your control arms. When you adjust camber and toe, you tweak the bushings, and the factory rubber ones handle twisting better than stiff-*** polyurethane. Assuming your factory bushings are in good shape. If they are all rotted, replace them with new ones from the dealership.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”