How Do I choose mod brands?

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
BlockHead

Got RB25DETI am going to be getting a BOV, wastegate(do I really need one, or is the one that comes with it good enough), fuel system upgrade(might include stand alone fuel management), Boost controller, turbo timer, and probably some other stuff I cant think of. My question is, is how do I know which brand is better than the other, cuz I dont know many ppl with turbo and its not like I can just try them out. Is there a source online that has tested these products? Money really isnt an issue but I dont want to go for and outragous priced item. Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks Jarrett

YamaOni
Car: Making big rocks smaller

Talk to some one who just blew their car up and dont get what they had....Just kiddingWhat are you going to put it in? More information is needed to give a good answer

But for startersWisco, eagle, crower, Je all make internals

BlockHead

um I am looking for quality products, I guess I want the best stuff but not the most expensive. I want as much power as I can get out of it for the mods listed, and off course I want a FMIC but I think I know the one I want. Like on the Turbo timer what makes one turbo timer better than the other, dont they all just leave the car running for a minute or two to let the oil in the turbo cool.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Ok not to insult you but it sounds like you are new to this kind of thing and just shooting from the hip, you have rattled off a list of every topend part with no real vision for the final product. If this is on target stop for a minute and think about what you want the whole car to do. You actually have an RB or one on the way?What is it going into?What power level do you want?What will you be doing with the car?

YamaOni

Ok, lets start here turbo timers are for lazy people, Am I one? Yes do you need one yes and no, if you let your car cool down before shutting it down its not a problem. BOV are good, a turbo produces a lot of air that has to go somewhere when the throttle closes, out a BOV or out the turbo. The latter can cause a turbos life to end faster! Good parts are easy to find, e-bay for intercoolers and the like turbos through turbonetics and computers like SDS, TEC I to III and the big daddy MOTEC! The list get longer and longer and there are places to get custom stuff made all over the states at a goods price.

BlockHead

ok like so how do I know if it is a good product, is there a site that has consumer reports, and no I am not really new to cars or the nissans, I just am a very indesicive person and I dont want to regret my decision. I have a 93' 240sx and a rb25det swap will be on its way, but I want to search for the other parts for a while before I just go buy something. That is why I am asking now. I could give you a power goal but thats not of real importance, I want my car to last long and run the best it can, if that means 1000hp so be it(I know thats not realistic), and I am going with stand alone fuel management for better tuning and control of so I can boost higher.

YamaOni

Consumer reports? Wow, when you get the engine take it your local shop and have the whole engine overhauled, replace the turbo with a new from Nissan Japan R34 25t engine. Place your engine in your 240 and drive it like a little old lady, you will enjoy it longer.

It is all about money, and nothing is foolproof or everlasting.

BlockHead

yeah I understand nothing lasts forever, but I want to get the most out of it that I can. I dont want to take it to a local shop cuz labor is gay when you can do stuff yourself, I also have an acura integra and I have done all the work on it so far.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

any of the large big names make qual stuffHKS, Trust(Greddy), APEXi, Blitz, Turbonetics, RC Engineering, SDS, Haltech, Electromotive, Ross, JE, Crower etc.

YamaOni

So do you know how to change the car over from KA to RB? Let's hear your plan.

BlockHead

on changing the car from KA to RB, night has told me the gist of it but I am actually getting a friend of mine to help me with it and hes has done the swap a couple of times, I can tell you how its done but that would just get old and also I have nothing to prove. I guess yall totally missed my point of asking the questions I did. My philosiphy is get the best or dont get it. I talked to a friend that has an rx-7 and is running on high boost and he helped me some. I am also looking for personal opinion on products to see how other ppl feel about certain products.

YamaOni

Well I do understand what you wanted, and I was just trying to see how you were going to do the swap, I am looking into swapping engines in my Cefiro to something a little old school, But I am in japan and have more junkyards to get parts from tha t I need . You are in the states and if you dont get all the stuff you need to do the swap you have to wait on parts or try to make something work the best way you can. Like the Mad one said you cant go wrong with the major brand names. If you want the best here you go (my opinion and not what I have)From the head downGreddy intake manifold w/ fuel railTomei 280 camsTomai valve springsTomei valves and guidesTomei solid liftersFull port and polishfive angle valve seatHKS stopper 1.6mm head gasketApexi Isamu RX6 turbo kit Wiseco 87mm pistonsCrower conrodsHKS conrod barringCrower crankshaftOS Type C triple plate clutchHKS Dog missionAll greddy GuagesARC intercoolerARC oil collerThe list goes on and onAnd I never asked you to prove yourself, You asked for help, sorry to try to help.good luck

s14brent
Car: 07frontier 4x4 6spd!

if you built your own acura integra motor? or you installed your body kit and rotate your own rims....anyways i hope you at least had a b18c1, boosted ls, or lsvtec. i would hope, then you should know whats quality and whats not. i'm sure you didnt use pep boys equipment now? i mean there are several reptuable brands and ones that i only trust from experience that you claim to have. i used to own a honda and worked on many myself. if you've never done a honda swap, good luck on your rb swap. it just sounds like you should get a sr20det, or you watch too much fast and the furious. no offense. good luck other wise.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

BlockHead wrote:on changing the car from KA to RB, night has told me the gist of it but I am actually getting a friend of mine to help me with it and hes has done the swap a couple of times, I can tell you how its done but that would just get old and also I have nothing to prove. I guess yall totally missed my point of asking the questions I did. My philosiphy is get the best or dont get it. I talked to a friend that has an rx-7 and is running on high boost and he helped me some. I am also looking for personal opinion on products to see how other ppl feel about certain products.

This is one of the worst thread topics I've ever read. You basically asked what everyones favorite parts were for the entire motor and induction system. If you want someone to take you seriously, try asking a serious question.

Do a little damn research. Of course a turbo timer is a turbo timer. But there are absolutely tons of options for turbo's and fuel management. So when someone asks what your goals are for the car, you can't say whatever it takes.

If this friend of your has done a couple of RB swaps, then he should be more then qualified to tell you which parts are better then others.

Learn how to post...

WD

BlockHead

Holy hell, I guess nissan owners are @$$es or something cuz I have never been treated like this on any other forum. I am just a kid that is Fxcking trying to learn more about cars and I dont want to make stupid mistakes. My friend I am doing the swap with is just one person, and has his opinions of the best things and why, I was looking for other ppl's opinions(reviews). actually I have a B20b in my integra. YamaOni thanks for trying to help me the best you can. Actually I only asked for 5 parts look at my original post. And I am still getting the RB25DET cuz that is the motor I want. WD for a moderator you sure are a negative person. Thanks anyways.....

Syntax360
Car: 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

that was pretty harsh. BlockHead, u live in Dallas area? I'd be interested in seeing the car when you're done. :-)

YamaOni

If thats all then here you go #5 BOV Trust type R #4 wastegate Trust Type R #3 Fuel SDS Just about the best bang for the buck#2 Boost Con Greddy type B W/ a Greddy button#1 Turbo timer Apexi Good luck chuck

aleph1
Car: 1990 240SX hatch MODS: class.

HKS SSQV Blow offTiAL 35 or 40mm wastegateHKS EVC Boost controller

dunno which fuel managment is best.

BlockHead

sweet guys thanks for the insight, syntax most definitely.

Syntax360
Car: 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

people never mention using Haltech for fuel management. Why not? I think gotbeer1382 plans on using Haltech on his SR, but he's the only one I've heard mention it. Why is that?

aleph1

expensive.

WDRacing

BlockHead wrote:Holy hell, I guess nissan owners are @$$es or something cuz I have never been treated like this on any other forum. I am just a kid that is Fxcking trying to learn more about cars and I dont want to make stupid mistakes. My friend I am doing the swap with is just one person, and has his opinions of the best things and why, I was looking for other ppl's opinions(reviews). actually I have a B20b in my integra. YamaOni thanks for trying to help me the best you can. Actually I only asked for 5 parts look at my original post. And I am still getting the RB25DET cuz that is the motor I want. WD for a moderator you sure are a negative person. Thanks anyways.....

Dude, I'm always busting *** on these forums to get info out to people. I'm sure you haven't noticed but the site goes down all the time do to bandwidth limits. Your thread took up 15 posts before anyone actually understood what you wanted.

When we shutdown for bandwidth problems it affects 1000's of people. I'm sorry if I came off rough...but please consider what you post.

WD

BlockHead

When I posted I had no knowledge of yalls bandwidth problem. And why do you always go around busting *** on the forums??? All it did was piss me off and make me hate you. I just think there are nicer ways of coming to the same conclusion. Instead of saying,"Hey you are a dumb kid, and fxcking go away", I think you could say something along the lines of, "This might not be the best place for you to learn this or asks these questions but _______ would be a better place to look, thanks for your interest and I hope you find what you are looking for and if you have any questions you can email me". Yeah I know I am not the Moderator and I am not trying to tell you how to do your job(cuz once again I am not a moderator), but how you deal with ppl(especially over the internet cuz I dont know you personally) leaves a lasting impression whether it be good or bad. Sorry for wasting your time and bandwidth I will take my questions to other forums from now on. Thanks Jarrett.

aleph1

sorry you didn't like this forum because of one mod. maybe you'll see us again sometime when you wanna get hard-to-find, experienced info. =)

rtsol

dude, no offense, but you sound like the average 17 year old dreamer. if you know enough to know that you want an rb25, you should know enough to pick your own parts. anyway, very few people go for the 25 because the cost is almost that of the 26 and the 26 has ALOT more potential. yes, alot of people are doing the rb20 swap but the potential and cost is about the same as SR20. as far as brands go, stick with the big 5: greddy,hks,tomei,apex,blitz-youll be happy with anything from them as long as you pick the right sizes(turbo for example). and BTW, what subframe will you be using? and factory intake man. or fabbed?

BlockHead

well the reason I dont want the rb26 is all the crap you got to do just to install it, and you can take the rb25 and stroke it to a 2.6 liter. I will be using the R33 subframe, on the intake thats a good question I have not put enough thought into, could you enlighten me and share some info??

WDRacing

Blockhead, I said I bust *** getting info to people, not bustin on people....

Dude, sorry i hurt your feelings. I've been in the military for 10 years. I'm not used to people getting crushed by one post.

Here's some honest critisism for ya, you need to learn alot about motors and forced induction before you try going through with RB swap. Try reading anything by Corky Bell or Kenne Bell. They have alot of good info about forced induction.

I'd look into that stuff before researching what parts are better then others. But take it for what its worth...

Hate me if it makes you feel better...

WD

BlockHead

Finally you have given me some usable info, now I have someone to start and learn, your right I dont know all that I should but you have to start somewhere, I might not get the RB swap for awhile now knowing that I need to learn more. WD no hard feelings I just get pissed at ppl that bash me without knowing me.

rtsol

the only extra work involved with the rb26 is the fabbing of a single turbo exhaust manifold, because the stock twins hit the steering column. so unless you convert to right hand drive, you have to fab a manifold. as far as the crossmember goes youll want to go with the A31 cefiro. it bolts right in and the motor sits alot lower in the car with it. maybe WD can shed more light on that aspect of the swap.

Daunttless

Or you can reroute the steering. : )

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”