How Do I choose mod brands?

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
BlockHead

hey mom Im learning!!!! Ok just out of curiousity how much does it cost to get a custom manifold. And is the RB26DET really better, yes I know theres more displacement but thats only cuz the stroke is like 73.7 instead of like 71.7(rb25det). Besides that I didnt see any real differences.

rtsol

well the rb26dett is an incredibly refined motor. it is only available in skyline GTRs and the Stagea awd station wagon(really rare) and just think of all the planning and r&d done with the gtr. it is built to handle extreme horsepower levels and alot of abuse. im pretty sure that when tuned correctly(and with a little alky-thanks for enlightening me WDracing) you could hit 900rwhpon stock internals. as for the rb25, ive heard the limit is about 400rwhp. although, ive also heard that it is nearly as strong as the 26 with really good tuning. you may want to ask WD about that. and tha manifold, well i cant fab anything, and dont know anyone who can, so i couldnt begin to estimate the price of that. danttless?

aleph1
Car: 1990 240SX hatch MODS: class.

Turbo manifolds are expensive, I'm guessing at LEAST 600 for a halfway decent one, but prolly a grand or so if its a one-off. The only reason I'd want a fabbed intake is to get rid of that plumbing over the valve cover so I can change spark plugs in 15min instead of an hour and to minimize the engine height so as not to cut the hood.

Stick with the 25, the 26 is all together too expensive. You could get a RB25 from the R34 GT-T which has higher stock hp like 280, equal to the GTR, but less torque. But I suggest the R33 RB25 for cost reasons, the less money it takes just to put the engine in, the more money you have to tune it.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

you will not make it past 600hp on the stock internals of an RB26, a 2JZ will, sorry. The RB25 is plenty stout, if there is a considerable difference in price it would not be a bad "plan B" engine.

rtsol

well i wasnt thinking that i could get 900hp on totally stock setup. if alcohol:alcoholic , a standalone, upgraded cams and springs, and maybe a head gasket is used and tuned correctly, surely, more than 600hp is obtainable. but then again, everyone knows more than me:dunce

BlockHead

Hmm very interesting. Someone said there are more mods for the rb26dett, is this true??? Personally I have only found a hand full of mods myself but I am sure my friends uncle(works at a shot that does alot of 240sx) can help me though I dont know what he actually does just know he is a mechanic at the shop. Yeah it seems that the rb26dett swap is going to cost alot more cuz you have to get a topmount manifold, rb25 tranny, and some other crap. 400-500hp would be nice. I would probably do internals with Ti crap like springs and spring retainers and they do stainless valves and guides, upgrade the rockers, change pistons, basically the works.

Syntax360
Car: 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

i'm afraid of the RB series simply because of the availability of replacement parts when it breaks down. Parts are obviously available for the KA, SRs are so popular it shouldn't be too hard to find parts, and the CA can get parts from a Pulsar(? or some other import i can't recall @ the moment), but when the RB is acting pissy, where do you go for replacement parts?

rtsol

you dont need to convert the intake manifold, it is in the correct direction. the rb25 is the one with the top mount intake. the only extra work with the 26 is the exhaust manifold. either way youll need a crossmember, because the A31 cefiro has the best fitting setup.

syntax360:all parts to maintain an rb are readily available here. z32 plugs, z32 oil filter, z32 clutch, the only parts that you might have to source are the timing belt, and the water pump, but i would change those out before the swap. once its up and running, it will be no more likely to break down than any other nissan, as long as its tuned and cared for. if you do need any parts, they are only slightly harder to get than sr parts.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

You can run straight tequila injection if it makes you feel good, 600, that's all you get on the stock engine and don't expect it to last very long. You would have to add all the things you named plus a set of big turbines and bigger intercooler and hogged out fuel system just to get to 600 in the first place. You will have to open up the motor and start throwing forged everything and a smattering of Titanium in it to eclipse 6-large. I know everyone thinks the RB26 is like this mythic engine that has this magic screw in a secret place you turn that makes it put out 1000hp but it's not. It's an engine like any other and they break just like any engine.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”