How difficult would it be to own a skyline gtr in the United States?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Carsonbgoff

So I've been playing with the thought of buying a gtr, as there is an import dealership not too far from me that imports slot of different jdm cars to the United States and sells them. They have a great looking example of an r32 gtr and I was thinking how difficult would it be to own? Every time something breaks would you have to order a replacement part from Japan? How expensive would it be to maintain? And how practical could it be?

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

Hmm, maybe providing your circumstance will help. Is this R32 GTR going to be your daily? What is your ownership history (examples of past cars)? How good is your mechanical skill? Why do you want a R32 GTR in the first place as compared to other conventional choices? Etc, etc...

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

Unless you're a fan of Skylines, GT-Rs, or Nissans in general, I don't recommend buying a Skyline. They're not inherently unreliable cars but every example that's legally available now in the US is old, usually over 25 years old. They're technologically advanced cars and hence not easy to work on and have a lot of parts that can potentially break. Some parts can interchange with US models but most won't. Owning a Skyline in the US requires passion and/or money - preferably both. If you're not sure you have a decent amount of those then don't get one - it's not really a car for the casual fan especially at the prices Skyline GT-Rs are going for nowadays.

If you want to know more about what it's like to own one before making a decision then you can read about my own experiences owning mine on my blog:

http://23gt.blogspot.com/

M35Squirrel

I know you are being realistic about your comments, but come on you are scaring the newbie! :chuckle:

Personally I feel the driving experience is what makes the ownership troubles worth while. Just keep in mind this is a completely different type of ownership experience, and will be much helpful if you are resourceful and a go-doer.

For example, just last month I discover a Z32 ABS unit can easily be modified to replace the R32 ABS unit, and I believe I am the very first one to do so. There was no how-to post anywhere, nor people believed it would work, but now I am happily sharing my finding and the satisfaction and reward is well worth it. :woot:

M35Squirrel

Oh and as I usually tell others, if you don't have the stomach for an old Z32, then you definitely don't have what it takes for an R32.

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

M35Squirrel wrote:Oh and as I usually tell others, if you don't have the stomach for an old Z32, then you definitely don't have what it takes for an R32.
That's kind of what I'm getting at lol. Owning an old Skyline isn't exactly for the faint of heart so I just want to make sure the OP wants one for the right reasons and not because it's the hip car of the month.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”