How difficult is the VG30DE(TT) to work on really

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
z32george
Car: 1994 Nissan 300zx

Hey just want to start a discussion for something that's been bugging me.
Really what is the exact reason that everyone whines about the VG30 being such a nightmare to work on?
That is all I ever hear from people. I've owned two Z32's and my dad has owned 3 and sure the engine bay is tight but everything is possible to do in there with enough time. I just wouldn't mind hearing other people's ideas. It seems like people can't wrap their head around me wanting to work on them.
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted duplicate thread

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

To start, Isn't that knock sensor replacement a PITA? :)
Twin Turbo, that's a whole system that many cars don't even have, so there's that level of complication added. Dual MAFS and other sensors too right? It's not that a MAF is all that complicated, but then doubling up must add to the complexity a little bit. I think all the little bits that seem just a tiny bit tougher, like the tight engine bay and more, add up to make the overall that much harder to deal with.

I think you might get more conversation in the Z32, general discussion, the engine forums are used less and more specific, but I don't know.

Anyway, I think it's awesome that you tackle these engines with no fear.

Welcome to NICO Club!

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

It's just another set of parts that come apart and go back together, and all move to complete a task. There's just a lot more to it. More vacuum, more plumbing, more water, more oil, more everything. And the space confounds everything.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”