How did you fix your pop up headlights and what was the problem?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
amencowboy
Car: 1994 240sx Convertible KA24DE Manual Transmission

So I have been battling my '94 vert's pop up headlights for awhile now. I have read every single post that mentions pop up headlights not working and have tried numerous things to try and get my head lights to go down. Since there seemed to be so many different fixes for the same problems, I was wondering if those of you who have actually had success fixing your pop up headlight could share how you diagnosed the root problem and what part you had to replace/clean/f*ck with to get them to work again.

Here is my scenario. It started with just the passenger side headlight not going down but going up fine, then after about 6 months both headlights would pop up no problem, but the only way to get them to go down is to pop the hood and manually turn the motor (I know we have all done this at some point).

The list of common culprits from reading previous posts seem to be:

-the switch on the steering column
-relays
-timing control module mounted behind the driver's side left kick panel
-the motors

Someone mentioned a blue plug with a white cap behind the radio being the problem with their headlights but not much follow up information was given.

It was about 2 years ago when I checked all the relays and took apart the switch and cleaned all the contacts. I even got my hands on a brand new switch but that did not make the headlights retract.

Today I inspected the timing control module, which had no obvious signs of failure. I also removed the right side headlight motor and took it apart and cleaned the brushed and tried to clean the contacts. Plugged the motor back in and it only moved when the headlight was popped up, still would not go down. Maybe the relay inside the motor is bad? The contacts had a lot of grease one them when I opened up the motor. I wiped them as clean as I could but my hopes were still squashed when the problem persisted.

Here are some pictures of the motor.

Please share what your specific headlight problem was, and how you fixed it. And if anyone has any insight on my headlight problem I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

flartius
Car: 1996 - Nissan 240sx SE RB25DET
2008 - Yamaha YZF-R6 - SOLD
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

Your pics aren't working, have you checked to see if you have voltage to the motors? Have you searched a trouble shooting guide for the headlight motors? Right now it will be hard to say what the problem is because just like you said there are a lot of components that this feature runs through. I would start by chasing voltage from the headlight motor back one component at a time until you find the culprit.

Dimitri
Car: 1990 240SX Red Hatchback-
Oui c'est un 240sx et non ce n'est pas à vendre

Turn Signal switch. That did it for me.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”