How Can I Adjust Idle Speed?

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
chobo2
Car: Nissan Altima 2000

Hi

When my car is warmed up and I stop at a light or put it in "park" I get an idle speed of 600. This makes it kinda uncomfortable and I would like to correct. I am wondering if this is something I can adjust easily myself or if I need to bring it to a mechanic

It is a Nissan Altima 2000.

Here are some pics, hope someone can circle what area I should be looking at and what I am looking for.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... 30&o=OneUp

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not 100% familiar with your car, but if it's anything like the Maxima's of the same years then there is this thing called the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) near the TB (Throttle Body). There is a screw on there that you turn to adjust the idle.

If you look at the FSM (Factory Service Manual) on this site, you should be able to find the components listed.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/use-ni ... abase.html

tonygr113
Car: Nissan Altima 2001

In the manual says:
Idle speed = 700 + -50 rpm

If you want to improve your idle speed:

1. Clean the throttle body (be careful)
2. Clean your MAF sensor

Optional
3. Is too hard, but you can try cleaning your IAC valve.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Late but.....................you CANNOT change absolute idle speed on a computer controlled car, it violates EPA regulations by altering emissions. Regardless of what you do, the IAC will be commanded by the computer to adjust right back to the same rpm, which is cast in concrete in the computer software.

Post #3 has the right idea, if the idle is too low you clean components linked to it to allow them to work better.

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”