How are Dual brand headunits?

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

I don't post in here very often and I should probably do a search to see if this topic has been brought up but I'm lazy and would rather get fresh info on this.

I have a Pioneer DEH-1500 headunit (I know it's old) and I'm in the market for a good headunit at bargain prices, and I'm wondering if Dual fits that catagory. I've found a couple that I like and before I waste my money I wanted to get so feedback from anyone who might know. For the price of 1 name brand headunit I can get 2 Dual's (1 for me and 1 for the GF). Here's basically what I want, I need something that can play my Ipod and have Ipod controls built in, needs to have a remote, needs to be HD radio ready (preferably built in), and needs to have decent power and sound quality as I really love my music to sound the way it's supposed to. Dual has a couple that have these features but I'm unsure on whether they are quality. Please don't post the whole "you get what you pay for" bs, there is a such thing as quality at bargain pricing.

a2k_stang
Car: 2000 Ford Mustang

Dont waste your time and money. They are a uber cheap a** product manufactured by namsung. You can get a decent head unit by alpine or pioneer for $100. Just dont buy at walmart, go to your local audio shop or best buy. The headunit you buy at walmart is not the same headunit your will find anywhere else, even if it has the same model number. They are manufactured at different plants with much lesser standards of quality controll.

PRE_vert
Car: 1992 240SX Convertible
RB25DET w/ HX-35

i have a dual XDVD8181 7" flipout, and i hate it. once the "wow" factor wore off, i had to admit the sound quality is absolutely APPALLING. my cheap a** sony gt-23 i got for 69.00 new blew it out of the water.

Sure, DVD and touchscreen is cool and all, but don't do it. it you care at all about high fidelity audio, or have upgraded ANY of the other components in your system, this will be the weakest link.

don't skimp on your headunit. get a quality pioneer or eclipse unit. for about 130-150 bucks, and you will thank yourself. even a JVC or Jensen will be better than this crap.

Axoure Dragonkin
Car: '92 Nissan 240sx se

I can attest to the Wal-Mart thing. I bought a Dual XDVD-something when they hit clearance. The mechanism that pops out the DVD was made of plastic and broke after the 3rd DVD i put in there. However, for the 150 I paid, 7in screen, Ipod controls, and Ipod video playback isn't bad. I would assume the quality would have gotten better, though.

madpappi

^^^ agree with above stay away from the dual decks if your low on funds get a cheapo pioneer unit you will be better off.

scaramoche
Car: 1989 Nissan Pathfinder

Dont get "DUal" from an engineering point of view, they are rubish. All the circuitry is based of the simplest design. THe amps use cheap amplifiers(some not even meant for audio), there SNR(signal to noise ratio) is crap(this has to deal with how the sound is reproduced), you also loose some of you frequency range(they say they meet standard, but because reproduction/amplification of sound is non-linear, you get crap for sound). the list's go on and on. Basically there is a reason they sale for 50.00 bucks, when the same system(has same bells and whistles) by a name brand sales for 100.00. it's all about the quality.

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”