How 2 turn of SES light?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
numatik
Car: cars

My service engine soon light because I started the engine while the air intake temperature sensor was unplugged. It's plugged back in, the the light is still on.

How do I turn off the service engine soon light?

I know that dealerships can turn it off right away, but I don't want to pay them to do something I could possibly do myself.

Last time something like this happened the light turn off after a few days, but I need it off right now.

I am going to test out the idea of using a potentiometer to adjust the timing and fuel mixture until it runs the best. Then I'm going to measure the resistance of the potentiometer (A). Then I'm going to measure what resistance that the air temp sensor is while its in the engine compartment as the car is running (B). Then I'm going to subtract (B) from (A). I'll take that number and wire a resistor with that value in series with the air temp sensor.

This way at all temps the adjustment will work equally. This might work Instead of using a set resistor value that may not be ideal for my car.

BTW I have a 98 240sx se.

So, how do I turn off the service engine soon light?

(sorry bout the long post)

Anand

unplugg the battery and leave it for around 15-30 min. That should do the trick...

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

Here's how to do it... again I'm just getting this stuff from 240sx.org. Their FAQ section is an invaluable wealth of knowledge, USE IT!!

">Find the computer(Behind the plastic piece by the passenger>foot>Pull it out >Turn your key to the on position >You will see a flathead screw looking bolt on 1 side of the computer. Turn this fully clockwise >Wait at least 2 seconds >Turn it back to fully counterclockwise >This will then show the trouble code - (The check engine light will blink to show this, for instance, blink..blink..blink......blink..blink, will be 32) >After you read the code, you can start the engine >Turn the bolt back to the clockwise position for at least 2 seconds(While running) >Turn it back to the counterclockwise position >Now shut the car and then start it again, this should of removed the code. >Hope this helps...Shawn[email protected] "

numatik
Car: cars

great thanks!I knew how to read trouble codes, just didn't realize that the faq also said how to reset, thanks man!

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

no problem! thank 240sx.org (Shawn)..... not me!

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”