Hot GT-R

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
SDRonEbay
Car: Cars, trucks, cooking, reading

Want to see the GT-R Concept car? Check it.

gsxtasee
Car: racing anything and everything

this is an old pic but still no ones sure how it'll look. I'm undecided about the look of this concept but I don't THINK I like it just yet... though I'd buy it anyway for it's performance numbers if it is anywhere near what's projected.

SAPrez
Car: Racing, Car Shows, Creative Arts, Sports

I hope that is closer to the look---distinctive. I'm not so hot on the 350z/G35 body style...Would like to see the GTR not look like them....

mB

SDRonEbay
Car: Cars, trucks, cooking, reading

If there's another body out there Nissan is being hush with it. I scanned the entire NNAnet site and this was the only "official" pic I found.

SAPrez
Car: Racing, Car Shows, Creative Arts, Sports

I do really like the one above, and the one shown at the Cosworth track, although the one above I like better....

mB

gabossie
Car: Your mom

Here is some info, the guy that runs that forum is also a member here. I think his username is r35gtrforums.com or something like that.

http://www.r35gtr.com/

r35forums.com

its r35forums.com actually but I also do some things for r35gtr.com, the sister site. my site which is going through dns changes currently, only pertains to discussion, while r35gtr is mainly on facts and content, and in the future --DIY's. r35gtr.com though, has the only vid online besides nissan themselves AND they have showroom gallery images, many of them, and gtr comparisons and stats. We also will have later on, mre images, new ones I have on my HDD. about 100 people or so have the new spy pics, but we will be the first to display them online. I scanned them, but need to upload them online, which will happen soon once I get some free time lol.Very drastic changes to the new proposed design, and although Ive grown accustomed to the concept, the new one is more fluctuated in design and more elegant yet very race-worthy. It is going to be great IMO, but not everyone will think that. Stay tuned, and visit r35gtr.com for more information if any of you are interested on the upcoming gtr.

gsxtasee
Car: racing anything and everything

this site already gets no respect if it can't even type ATESSA correctly... This is from the home page linked:

Estimated (unofficial) specs:dohc 32 valve 4.5L V-8or dohc 24 valve 3.5L V-6 turboapprox. 400bhpNext gen altessa Awd6 speed getrag MTCarbon hood20 Inch Wheels/tires0.27 cd

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

It's ATTESA.....but at least you spelt it better than they did I hate to see people mixing up the nissan Attesa type cars with the toyota altessa.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Here's a pic of the real thing--and it's official:

and a link to more info:

http://www.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=85952

SKAGEE
Car: cars

Hi, somehow or rather I doubt that the car pictured in the magazine will be the next GTR.

For one it looks too similar like the G35 coupe; if you were to follow the GTR family range, the all look distincly different from one another though sharing a few familiar traits(?) like the round lights (except the KPGC10) and the rear ' surf lines'..however the KPGC10 doesn't look anything like the KPGC110 nor does the BNR32 like the BCNR33..etc. The next GTR , which I presume being a V36 ( R36) should look totally different from its predecessor

Its way too early for the GTR to make its appearence if its launching date is suppose to be in 2006/2007.Nissian is quiet good at keeping the wraps on their GTRs and only revealing them at the very last minute.Just like the 33 and 34 ,if I were to recall correctly,were only revealed to the public 2-3 months before their actual launch.

What I reckon is , the car in the picture is a test mule for the new 3.2 or 3.5 turbo engine as they had done the same for when developing the RB26 for the BNR34 , which had a more aggresive cams and slightly bigger turbo , using an BNR33 platform on 18" wheels.

Having said all that without reading the article, I'm most probably wrong..LOLOL

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I don't know. You could be right. You're one of the more informed people on this site...The article was mostly speculation. I hope Nissan doesn't go with the 3.2 liter though...(one of the two most speculated about engines). Acura uses a 3.2 a lot. Nissan needs to distance their engine as well as their car from everything else. The 3.5 is sort of a Nissan performance signature on a car right now. They should go with a VQ38DETT. It's been proven on the Z33GT-R. It's already associated with the GT-R namesake. It'd be a perfect choice. Plus, you could easily pull 350 N/A hp out of a VQ of that size. Twin turbos would push it around 500. And I hope to god they make the thing light. The skyline has been getting heavier and heavier since the R32. I mean, look at the wieght of the R34 versus the R32...They just need to make sure that any insane power numbers it comes attached to are enough to make it perform like they sound like they should...did that make sense?

SKAGEE

I am most probably wrong with about this but; I doubt Nissan would develope a VG35DETT for the GTR as it would not look good for the 'Z' camp Its been said that there is(always been) a certain amount of rivary between the Fairlady camp and Skyline camp at Nissan and most often kept separated.Only until recently, under the new management do -we see the Fairlady and Skyline sharing platforms and engine, which is known to be more cost effective.

Traditionally; Skyline GTRs always had a lower capacity engine as compared to the Fairlady. For instance KPGC10 and 110 had 'only' a S20 (2 litter) as compared to the Fairlady's L24 (with the assumption that the 240Z being the top of the range ) or the RB26DETT in the GTR32,33,34 when the Z32 had the VG30DETT. However ,Skyline made up for their lack of capacity with a stronger and higher reving engine. Hence supporting my speculation that a lower capacity engine will be used. However, under the new management , things could be different.

Based on the Japanese GT series which often being used as a test bed for manufacturers, Nissan has been campaining their VQ30DETT engine ( first seen on the R34 and now in the 350Z{GT500} ) quiet sucessfully.With almost 2 years of race development, I am certain that they will be using it in their cars which I believe will be the next GTR

Honestly, what engine they are planning to use on the next GTR isn't a major concern as I'm sure that will be some aftermarket parts manufacturers developing something to keep us content. However, what "driving aid" is Nissan planning to put into the next GT-R . does concerns me. The talk of the hybrid electric 4WD systems honestly puts me off .hahaha. Having driven the 3 variations of the B(C)NRs. I still find the GTR32 being the purest and more involving car out of the lot. Maybe its me but its a worrying trend that Nissan might get too high tech and develope another Mitsubishi 3000GT hahaha

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I've always been afraid Nissan would over-tech the Skyline. super HICAS and ATESSA-ETS are too much for me. I want to drive the car, feel the car, and be the car, and I can't really do that if I'm fighting a computer for the controls. If Nissan does a Hybrid Skyline, I'll personally assassinate their current CEO. Hybrids are a perversion of automobiles. They are not a performance tool. The only semi-respectable one is Honda's, and since they don't over-advertize like Toyota, no one beleives it's better. I want a car with a powerful engine, well tuned suspension and steering, good looks, and a short throw shifter. That's what the Skyline should be. A pure performance car, without nav systems or traction control or any of that garbage that anyone who buys the car will end up switching off anyway.The VQ30DETT makes sense. I'd still like to see a straight six in it though. It's inherently a more stable engine, easier to balance, and therefore capable of higher RPM's without adverse side-effects. Could the RB sustain a displacement bump up to 3 liters? I've heard of RB28's but a 3.0 might be thinning out the cylinder walls too much. I don't know. Maybe even an entirely new straight six...

SKAGEE

Yes, the mighty straight six. It was a clever ploy by Carlos Goshn(?) to use enviromental issue as the reason of discontinuing the RBs when in actual fact that cutting cost was their main objective. It didn't make sense that they weren't able to control the emmission on these engine to meet the new standard when we see 'lesser' technological engines getting by easily. It made more sense for Nissan to develope a V6 engine which is more compact hence making it easier to be shared across different platforms. I would safely say that the RB won't be back with Carlos in the reins

OS Giken do make 3 litter kits for the RB26, which involves increasing the bore and most significantly, the stroke by wedging a thick ( an inch or so ) adapter plate between the block and head. Or you could get an RB30 block off a Nissan Patrol and.fit an RB26 head. on it

I doubt they'll come out with a hybrid engined Skyline..hahahahah..what I meant was an electric motor to run the front wheels in the 4WD system. There is no doubt that this will enable to reduce the trasmission drag induced by the regular ATTESSA system but what I'm afraid is that there is a possibility that a steering-by-wire system might be incoporated since there will be an electric motor up front..

Anyway, I think we should give these guys more credit and just wait and see what they'll come out with. I wouldn't know if I would like it or not but one thing's for sure; its gonna be a Technological freak(hahahahaha) as one of the reason quoted by Nissan on why they were holding back on the GTR was that there wasn't any significant technological breakthrough incorporated in the car at that time( which was what the GTR 34 was critisied for when it was released)

Tatanko
Car: 2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition, 6-speed HLSD

BTW, there's already an RB30. It's a factory engine other cars and used quite frequently in Australia. However the engine itself is SOHC and mostly used for parts to up the displacement on other RB engines, rather than using the RB30 itself.

Nexus9
Car: R33 GTST VSpec Skyline

True that.

The RB30 was released locally here in the R31 Skyline and was also used in the Holden VL Turbo Commodore.

It is quite common to see the RB30 bottom end with a RB25/26 Head.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I thought Ford owned Holden...

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

MinisterofDOOM wrote:I thought Ford owned Holden...
That would be GM.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Oh yeah. That's right. I always get that and Volvo/Saab GM/Ford mixed up. But wait. If GM owns Holden, and GM works with Toyota (bad...and worse), what's an RB doing in a Holden?

Nexus9
Car: R33 GTST VSpec Skyline

all very incestuous isn't it?

Sit back kiddies and I will tell you all a story, it all happened way back in a decade known as the 80's. Australia had the Group A Touring Car Championship. It used to be primarily a Holden V8 vs Ford V8 showdown, then one day along came a car known as the Ford Sierra a turbo charged six and it started to win some races against the big V8 cars which didn't go down to well with the general redneck population, but it was tolerable as they were unreliable and the local 8's were able to hold their own.

BUT in the very last year of the 80's a little twin turbo 6 known as the ......... yep you guessed it the Nissan Skyline GTR came on to the scene. As you could imagine it took the Group A competition by the ruff of the neck and laid the smack down well and truly. Pretty much winning 1,2,3 in every race they finished in which by the 2nd year was a good 80% of races. The people weren't happy, Ford had the Sierra and Holden decided that they needed a turbo car too. After extensive engineering trials and testing it was put into the too hard basket and Holden went to Nissan and made a deal with the Devil and so was born the Turbo VL Commodore.

But it was too little too late, for three years running the local teams were beaten comprehensively in the competition, local manufactured car sales were starting to plummett in favour of the Japanese cars.

Then Holden tried another tack and decided to have the rules changed to exclude forced induction cars, or they would pull out of racing altogether. Holden being the biggest (to this day) car manufacturer in Australia was able to put the wind up Cams and they complied. So it was the end of Group A in Australia as we knew it now replaced with the V8 Super Car Championship.

Interesting side note the GTR still holds track records at Bathurst (Oz's equivilant of the Indy 500) and several of the tracks around Australia.

D-UNIT
Car: a 91' S13 (15.014 @ 94.56mph NA) KA-T

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Oh yeah. That's right. I always get that and Volvo/Saab GM/Ford mixed up. But wait. If GM owns Holden, and GM works with Toyota (bad...and worse), what's an RB doing in a Holden?
If you think that is bad , The new Saturn VUE Redline comes w/ a 250hp , 3.5 V6. Hmmm 3.5 liter ...surely not a GM or Toyota. Yep , you guessed it. HONDA.

accel junky

Yep, seen that pic a while back. Doesn't look terrible, but I'm a bigger fan of the r32/3/4

pushnlacs

man all i know is all this engine talk is bs. i will bet you money on what will be the next gtr's engine. it will be the vq30dett i garentee it. thats the engine that the swaped into the jgtc gtr's the last year they were used and thats the engine they run in the fairladies now. the gt500 z produces 460hp and 521lbs of torqe at 4000rpm. thats the engine in the nest gtr, vq30dett no doubt about it. for one they are not going to use 2 diffrent engines so the v8 is out, cause theres no way a v8 powered gtr would fly in japan. a vq35 isnt distinct enough. the vq30 is getting great testing being used in the jgtc and is kicking ***.

a 3.0l v6 i can deal with but any larger displacment or a v8 and ill hate it cause that will run the gtr name and the next gtr is the only hope really for a true japanese performance car( 3.5l z has a little to large of engine for a jap sports car imo) i wish theyd redishn a i-6 but the vq30 is pretty cool.

watch the next gtr will be vq30dett powered with 400-500hp.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

http://www.edmunds.com/future/....html

Sport Compact just did a write up as well.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

SKAGEE wrote:Hi, somehow or rather I doubt that the car pictured in the magazine will be the next GTR.

For one it looks too similar like the G35 coupe; if you were to follow the GTR family range, the all look distincly different from one another though sharing a few familiar traits(?) like the round lights (except the KPGC10) and the rear ' surf lines'..however the KPGC10 doesn't look anything like the KPGC110 nor does the BNR32 like the BCNR33..etc. The next GTR , which I presume being a V36 ( R36) should look totally different from its predecessor
Skagee...not to burst your bubble or anything, but how do you figure the R32 and R33 GT-R's look distinctly different from the RWD turbo Skylines. The only major differences in outward appearance that I can see are the blister fenders and the front bumper. If I am incorrect, please tell me, because for the longest time, I didn't know there were any other major body differences. I see Skylines every day, and I cant tell them apart from a distance of more than 50 meters, within that 50 meters, you can see the fenders or the face, or hear the motor...the 26 has a much different tone than the 20's or 25's. Please feel free to school me if I am missing something, constructive criticism is accepted.

SKAGEE

C33LaurelRacer,Sorry for the late response I'm afraid that you have misunderstood me when I said that its unlikely the next GTR will look as such because it looks too much like the V35. Sure enough there's isn't much difference in appearence between the GTR and GTS variants. However, I was merely saying that the next GTR which is gonna be a V36 , if its coming out in 2007, will not look like the V35 coupe based on the past skylines ( with the exception of the R30 and R31 which look similar) > Skyline have a tendency to not make each sucessive model look similar to another..am I making sense? heeheee

PS ..What do you do in Japan?

D-UNIT
Car: a 91' S13 (15.014 @ 94.56mph NA) KA-T

Can't guess which engine ehh. How about the VK45DETT. I honest can't see a 3.5L V6TT putting out 450hp reliably.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

SKAGEE wrote:C33LaurelRacer,Sorry for the late response I'm afraid that you have misunderstood me when I said that its unlikely the next GTR will look as such because it looks too much like the V35. Sure enough there's isn't much difference in appearence between the GTR and GTS variants. However, I was merely saying that the next GTR which is gonna be a V36 , if its coming out in 2007, will not look like the V35 coupe based on the past skylines ( with the exception of the R30 and R31 which look similar) > Skyline have a tendency to not make each sucessive model look similar to another..am I making sense? heeheee

PS ..What do you do in Japan?
I, good sir, am an english teacher in Saitama prefecture.

vvaffle
Car: 1991 240sx base hatch, 2009 WRX

D-UNIT wrote:Can't guess which engine ehh. How about the VK45DETT. I honest can't see a 3.5L V6TT putting out 450hp reliably.
Porsche 911 Turbo S: 3.6L H6 (not sure if its single or twin turbo) but makes 444 HP at 5700rpm and 457pound feet of torque at 3500.

And I'm sure it's reliable. So it is doable.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”