Horrible gas milage for my 90240sx

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
JB240sx

I'm getting pretty bad gas milage, only getting 200 miles for my whole tank right now, my car needs new tires but other than that runs great I've put a new o2 sensor and my air filter is new and so is my fuel filter, I dont know how to properly check my fuel injectors for leaks.

Also if anyone could help me as to what I should have checked as my steering is screwed up, I have to fight to keep it in the lane on the freeway, the wheel will not fully straigten itself out after turning.

This is what I get for buying a salvage vehicle!

thanks for any and all help.

D-3vil

I'm no expert, but your driving habits must have something to do with it.

My car's consumption can vary anywhere from 9 to 13L/100km, depending on how I drive. Try switching gears at lower rpm (try to always keep your engine under 3,000rpm). Also, a general engine tune-up might help (your local mechanic can do it).

To further increase fuel efficiency, you might also want to look into fuel add-ons (to clean your injectors), and oil add-ons (highly recommended: Slick - use half with your first oil change, and half with your second).

johnsharpe
Car: Car, Motorcycles, technology

How hard do you drive? What rpm do you shift at, etc, etc? Are there any other drivability issues that could be contributing (hestitation, etc)?

I shift at 3-4000rpm, I find that there's nothing below 2500, so there's no point dropping the engine that low. I average 9-11L/100km (23-27mpg?) in the city (~450km / tank).

John

JB240sx

I drive an automatic, I'm having some issues with the steering and need new tires. I drive it hard I guess, hopfully once I get my steering problem fixed and tires things will go back to normal.

thanks for your help guys.

aeonflux268766
Car: drifting, mmorpg, sunkist, various mind altering substances

actually, my coupe was doing the same thing a while back.... I reset the ecu and it went back to normal

DammitBobby
Car: S13 91 KA24DET

You did not mention changing your spark plugs. That is a common sign that your spark plugs need to be replaced. You can get Autozone Bosch plugs for .99 a piece. Would be worth trying.

niznos
Car: 03 Z-track, 98 Maxima GXE, 90 240SX RIP

You said you have steering problems, if your steering/alignment is off, you are forcing the tire forward while it's slightly turned. This would result in uneven and dangerous wear on the tires and loss of mileage too. rseabrooke is right, do the rest of the tune up, as in plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor also.

DammitBobby
Car: S13 91 KA24DET

The suspension could be a lot of things but a common problem is Tie rods ends. It will cause the steering wheel to vibrate. You can`t look at and tell you have to remove it. Also another common problem is the rack and pinion cause leak power steering fluid and houses the inner tie rods. Good luck with your repairs.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”