Horn Relay Removal

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
butnooneshome
Car: Nissan Murano 2.5 dCi
Honda CBR1100xx Blackbird

I'm struggling to remove the horn relay. The little bugger doesn't want to come out. :mad:

I can't see how it clips in. Any suggestions or pointers? I'm likely to destroy it and the fuse box the way I'm going ...

Thanks y'all

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Depending on what year it is the relay may well be not removeable, they are considered one part with the fusebox and replaced as one part.

butnooneshome

amc49 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:35 pm
Depending on what year it is the relay may well be not removeable, they are considered one part with the fusebox and replaced as one part.
Ah :frown: Thanks for the pointer.

Ok, so it's a 2010 model if anyone knows off the top of their head.

Meanwhile, I guess I'm off to get a Haynes manual ...

Cheers

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

well it looks like you do have a removable horn relay, it looks like you need to pry the tab on the side of the relay outwards to remove..

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC ... 7433949932

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Some they do not intend for you to mess with, the relays have raised walls around them that have to cut to remove the part, relay inserts easily but then cannot be removed. So, just finding the part is only part if the problem. My Versa is like that. The tab means nothing if you cannot reach it. I myself will be cutting fusebox plastic when the need arrives.

butnooneshome

Thanks for the hints. ;)

I bought a replacement OEM relay from eBay for £10, seemed worth a punt. On seeing the part I was able work out how it all fitted together. There's a clip in the fuse box moulding that moves quite easily with the help of a long thin screwdriver. Came out quickly with no fuss.

If you have a 2010 Murano, don't go sawing up the fuse box !!

So, all's well then, except the bastard horn still doesn't work :cry: :rotfl

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

I said 'when the need arrives', I would be doing exactly as you did first. Just saying..............some DO need to be cut and no harm done when competency is added to that process. The entire fusebox assembly often snaps apart as well and may not need to cut.

Many horns fail at the horn assembly or a lost ground if they ground on that end, the horn can ground at the horn itself or the switch. Could be in the clockspring as well. The switch at the steering wheel on at least the Versa is pretty flimsy as well, mine was coming apart at the melted tabs of plastic that hold the contacts in place, I had to drill the center cover (airbag) on the back to rivet them back down to renew mine once. Either that or replace the airbag unit. $$$$$$$$$

Many of the supposedly bad horns can be brought back from the dead as well by simply opening them up but that can require some slight cutting as well, and then you must figure out a way to get it back together. I have done several over the years and never had to buy another one. Opened up you commonly find water entry and subsequent damage and you need to simply redo the circuit by cleaning contact points and the like. There is commonly an armature vibrator adjustment that needs to be messed with as well, it is commonly locked in place once factory adjusted by glue or other and you may need to break it loose to readjust it. Sometimes with age the plate changes due to wear and all you need to do is readjust the screw without opening up the horn.

I'd yank the horn itself and make sure it works by simply being jumped to 12 volt and grounded.

butnooneshome

Cheers - I'll definitely have a look at the horn itself next. Probably should have done that first whilst checking the fuses, but hey ho.

At least I have a spare relay now :crazy:

Return to “Murano Forum”