Horn not working, spiral cable issue?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Veaux
Car: 2011/Rogue/SL

Hi,

I own a 2011 rogue and since last month when I push the steering wheel, the horn(s) do not sound. However, if I press the panic button on the intelligent key the alarm work (it is the mexico model) and when I lock the doors with the keys button, it also make the normal horn sound.

Do you guys think it is the clock spring? I looked at the service manual and it appears that the horns (hi and low pitch) only are wired to one circuit.

Thanks in advance for the answers!!

ca18det_boy

You are correct on the clock spring.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Do you have other steering wheel controls? If you do and they work then it’s not the clock spring. Cruise control? Radio controls? When a clock spring fails nothing on the steering wheel works and your airbag light will be on. If the horn is the only thing not working I would replace the horn relay.

Veaux

Hi, fist of all, thank you for the answers.

Yes all the controls on the steering wheel are working apparently. The only thing weird is that yesterday, when I activated the cruise control function, the SET letters where blinking on the display and I was not able to engage the cruise control. Today, no issues.

No, the airbag light is not lit.

Now, if the horns make sound when activating the alarm and the panic buttons on the keys, could the relays be still faulty? How to check if they work? (I guess that if I remove them and the horn sound from the panic button / alarm does not work anymore, i’ll Have my answer.)

Regarding the clock spring model, how can I find that without disassembling first? My steering wheel has also shifter paddle on the back.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

I think the alarm and the horn itself are separate. Regarding the clock spring that is underneath the airbag/horn. If those other steering wheel systems are working the clockspring would not be your problem. Now it could be that something is wrong with the connector where the horn plugs into the clock spring, but even that is unlikely especially if the steering wheel center has never been removed.

Try the relay first.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nis ... relay,3468

Veaux

I'll definitelly make sure that the Relays are OK before looking at the clock spring this week end. I hope it is just the relays. But not sure they are separate though, looking at the service manuals nowhere it says that there is a special horn for the alarm.

Veaux

Did final troubleshooting. Both relays work, they buzz when activated. Removing one or the other make the horn sound change (both pitch separately), so they work. Both horns work too, they vibrate to the touch when activated by the alarm key.

New piece of data now, the horn switch work if the steering wheel is in a specific position. I’m 100% positive now that I have to change the spiral cable, hope it’s not too hard, as I do not have a steering wheel extractor. Also have to buy security torx sockets!

Veaux

It took time, but this is solved now. FWIW if anybody has this issue and looks for a solution.

This was the spiral cable (aka clock spring). I bought it new from Nissan and had my mechanic replace it (i was too lazy to do it myself... + didn't feel like buying the tools for a once in a life time job). Flawless victory ;) as good as new now.

Hope this helps someone.

Return to “Rogue Forum”