Horn not work at steering wheel, but does from key fob

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
98_Q45

Started when the other day, I came back to my car after it had been sitting for a week and a half when I went out of town.

The battery in it is the cheapest Walmart battery, but it’s new and I just put it in a month ago. But it was dead when I tried to start it up. I got a jump, everything fine. But then I noticed it seemed like my steering wheel had moved. Then I started driving, it would telescope but it wouldn’t tilt. When I turned the car off later and back on, it was functioning normal again.

But then I noticed the horn wasn’t working from steering wheel. When I use the key fob, the horn does work...but it was sounding almost muffled. Yesterday I opened the hood and tried it and seemed to be loud again. Doesn’t help that the horn seems to be located near the back part of the hood that won’t close all the way, and some rain might have got in there.

But anyhow, I’m thinking maybe the alarm went off and drained the battery...but nothing was broken into or anything. However I’m just wondering where to start. Perhaps the fuses under the dash or the relays near the battery?

EdBwoy

You should have 2 horns. When you lock/unlock your car it should sound different than when you are laying on your steering wheel airbag.

According to every wiring diagram I have seen of Infinitis, there is one fuse that when blown would completely disable both horns.

Check the fuse anyway, then the relay, the horn terminals for corrosion and make your way back into the car to look at the clockspring.

98_Q45

Thanks for the tips. I was looking at the wiring diagram on the fsm, but I couldn’t understand it. So I went to the yard where there’s a Q identical to mine...and did get read the fuse box. There is a 15A fuse and a relay for the horn.

Well I replaced the fuse with 2 different fuses that look to be functional. Steering wheel horn still doesn’t work. I should probably try a new fuse, but the one that was in there was blown, and the ones I (pulled from the junk car) were intact.

If new fuses doesn’t work, would I go about replacing the actual relay? Being in a tourist town, having a functioning horn is imperative. Several times today I’ve wanted to use it, but couldn’t.

ZiprHead
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45 base

You've got a 98 at your local salvage yard? Wondering if you, or anyone else for that matter, would be willing to do me a huge favor.

I have a broken spring on the front left of my 99. There's not another car like mine in a yard within 500 miles of me here in mid-Michigan, Michiganders not being big on foreign cars in the older times. Would you or anyone else be willing to pull a front strut and mail it to me? I'll pay generously for the service. You can even keep the strut for yourself, I just need the spring.

I've contacted many salvage yards through carparts.com and none of them are willing to do it. So im stuck between asking this question or paying the 250 plus shipping from Infiniti.

ETA: Sorry for the derail.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

ZiprHead wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:57 am
You've got a 98 at your local salvage yard? Wondering if you, or anyone else for that matter, would be willing to do me a huge favor.

I have a broken spring on the front left of my 99. There's not another car like mine in a yard within 500 miles of me here in mid-Michigan, Michiganders not being big on foreign cars in the older times. Would you or anyone else be willing to pull a front strut and mail it to me? I'll pay generously for the service. You can even keep the strut for yourself, I just need the spring.

https://forums.nicoclub.com/99-q45-part ... 21995.html

ZiprHead

Q451990 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:29 am
ZiprHead wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:57 am

https://forums.nicoclub.com/99-q45-part ... 21995.html
Oh, cool! Thank you so much!!!

98_Q45

Sorry I missed the last post on here. But, I have a messed up rear strut that I haven’t figured out how to replace yet myself

ZiprHead

98_Q45 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:35 pm
Sorry I missed the last post on here. But, I have a messed up rear strut that I haven’t figured out how to replace yet myself
I replaced the rear struts on mine last year. Not that bad of a job. Got the struts themselves from Infiniti. Three nuts on the top, one bolt on the bottom. Best to have two people to guide getting into those top bolt holes.

You'll need a set of spring compressors to remove the springs. Free loaner tool from most any major parts chain store. New bushings and covers are readily available most anywhere but I got mine from eBay.

Easy peasy.

98_Q45

Hey, I’m revisiting this thread again: so everything works back to normal, but I’m needing to figure out why the turn signal won’t pop back into neutral when turning. This happened after the mechanic replaced the clcokspring. I haven’t bothered going back because I already had to go back for another issue. Not to mentioned it’d be my 4th time going back for the same-different issue. Pisses me off when I go in to have something fixed, then they break something else. But I also bought it for $40 off eBay so I don’t want to go back and forth. But it seems the turn signal is connected to the body combination switch, not the clockspring.

I took the covers off and played with the switch a bit, can’t find anything broken. Im wondering should I replace the thing at $75 new, or perhaps is it something more sinister?

ZiprHead

You can buy the switch on eBay much cheaper.

98_Q45

ZiprHead wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:09 am
You can buy the switch on eBay much cheaper.
Well isn’t this just great:

I found a very good shape turn signal switch from an identical 98 at the yard. Put it on, turned it around in the parking lot...still didn’t work. So called back the shop that put the clockspring in which I bought from EBay to look at it. Turns of the clockspring doesn’t have the groove that switches the switch back when completing a turn.

Everything else works, so I don’t see how that could be the case. The one on EBay said a 99’ clockspring. When I go to Infinitipartsdeal, it seems to say the 98 and 99 clockspring are exact fits, but not the 2000.

So needless to say very annoying. I’m not particularly crazy about ordering from eBay considering they’re usually used parts and I’ve had issues in the past where people sell something saying it’s one vehicle, but it turns out to be from a different vehicle.

So now I’ve got to figure out if I should get a switch from a 99 now.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”