HORIBLE ROOMATE...have some questons...

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
neurovish

Goodbar6 wrote:Yea, i know that. The whole reason why i was asking this is because he refuses to help out in the situation...no matter how little or how much it adds every month to the power bill, he could care less. Now that wouldent bother me too much if he was home to use it, but he is home from around 6:00pm to 9:00pm and that is it. He doesnt even sleep here. Thats 3 hours of actual computer use out of the 24 hour day. Seems like a useless way to add to the power bill dont ya think?

And violence is a horible way to solve this kind of problem. Although it does make me smile :D :D.

Hopefully he will see that doing 2 minutes of dishes once in a blue moon, and vacuming once every month isnt going to kill him. Heck, me and the other roommate do dishes EVERY night, and we vacume at least once a week.

It all comes down to a mutual respect thing. I hope he will be able to realize that being a roomate comes with responsibilities!

ANYHOO, sorry for the long post, but this has really been stressing me out.

Tyler
do you guys always have the A/C on?If you do, then he's only using that A/C for a few hours everyday since he's hardly ever there...in which case he's paying a whole lot more for your A/C than you are for his computers...like others have mentioned, computers these days don't use a hell of a lot of energy when they're idle....if you want to kick him out for something, kick him out 'cause he doesn't want to clean up after himself.

eniety
Car: Information Technology, Nissan, Gaming

It doesn't take much power to run a computer 24/7, especially when he isn't there 90% of the time. It is called energy savings. Most devices that the computer uses will go into sleep mode if not used for a short period of time. Every computer in my house, about 6, is on 24/7. I have a UNIX server in my room, that has been running straight for about 400 days. They really don't affect the electric bill. I wouldn't worry about it.

Tell him that he needs to start help cleaning up. If he doesn't listen, find a new roommate.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

wow

after reading all this inof maybe I will start switching it off.I always thought they use very little.

I never switch mine off, unless I am away for more than a couple of days.

I pay about $40/month with everything with occupancy 3/4 of the month.But then I use AC very sparingly (want my body to stay acclimatized to hi temps).

Fred...:)

eniety
Car: Information Technology, Nissan, Gaming

Fred, they do use very little energy. It doesn't sound like you even read all of the posts.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Does anyone besides me know how much a Kw-hr costs in their neighborhood? Lots of numbers out there, but how about we compare apples to apples? Computers *often* have sleep modes but not always. I personally turn off the power saving modes because they can interfere with downloads and burns if they kick in right in the middle of something. And power supplies use about the same amount of energy when they're on regardless of what the computer is doing. You can't expect a power supply to spool up every time the hard drive comes on. The power has to be available on tap at all times. Let's do Goodbar6 a favor and paint the darkest picture reasonably possible of his roommates' computer use.

Goodbar6

:-). Hehe, when we all talked, he told us he would turn off his computer for this month to see if it changed anything.... Well, today i was sitting in the living room, and heard this "bring" like someone was IM'ing me. Well i go into my room, and my comp isnt even on..so i turn it on, turn on AIM, and notice my roomate is online but "idle". So i IM him and i here the same bring from his room.

SOOO, he hasnt been turning his comp off. Yay, what a nice guy :rolleyes Tyler

Stoneage_Turbo
Car: just about anything

Ok , throw the computer into a lake , pool , or the bathtub see if it floats , report back to us with the results .

heres a idea , can you sneak a timer into the electrical socket that the cpu is plugged in ? make that bad boy turn off every night at a certain time ?i bet the nightly cutting off of power from the timer will eventualy destry the computer tho...back to the drawing board

Stoneage_Turbo
Car: just about anything

"But then I use AC very sparingly (want my body to stay acclimatized to hi temps)."

planning a trip to the sand box are we?

man did it suck coming out here from cold alaska

18 days left for me

neurovish

DAEDALUS wrote:Does anyone besides me know how much a Kw-hr costs in their neighborhood? Lots of numbers out there, but how about we compare apples to apples? Computers *often* have sleep modes but not always. I personally turn off the power saving modes because they can interfere with downloads and burns if they kick in right in the middle of something. And power supplies use about the same amount of energy when they're on regardless of what the computer is doing. You can't expect a power supply to spool up every time the hard drive comes on. The power has to be available on tap at all times. Let's do Goodbar6 a favor and paint the darkest picture reasonably possible of his roommates' computer use.
power supplies suck in the power they need, they aren't pushed to the maximum...they don't have to 'spool up' as there are no moving parts. If your computer is only using 5w of power, that is what the power supply consumes (maybe a little bit more to compensate for heat losses. If the power supply was always consuming the amount of power it is rated at, then all of these power saving features would be completely useless.

This is about the only thing I could find online with numbers measuring a computers power consumption:http://w9if.net/iweb/cpupower/index.shtml

He doesn't really give much info on whether the 'steady state' measurements were of the computer in a power saving idle mode, general usage, or a combination of both.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Good info! I know there are no moving parts (aside from the fan)--"spool up" was used figuratively. E.g., if you were to plug in a power supply with no computer attached, I believe that the power usage would be fairly close to what it is when powering a computer. The current still flows, and lost in the form of heat. OK, so based on the measured consumption, can we assume 250W average for both CPU and monitor? That would affect my original value by a factor of (250/450), so (assuming no power-saving modes) $23/month to operate at $.13/kw-hr. More credible?

Return to “General Chat”