Honda Civic Bucket seats installed in 720!!

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Turbo_mits
Car: 1986 Datsun 720

Just as I posted a couple threads down, I intalled the 94 Civic SI seats today.

Okay...

Truck: 1986 Datsun/Nissan 720 (NOT D21 hardbody)Seat removed: OEM 3 passenger bench seatSeats installed: 92-95 Honda Civic 2dr coupe and or hatchback

The original tan ugly beat up discolored bench seat came out with ease...

Thank you Nissan, as usual, you've tapped the floors for bucket seats to bolt in easily with the simple removal of the rubber floor grommet (front inside bolt), and small sticky interior styled tape piece (rear inside bolt). You can always count on Nissan to think of what youre hoping to find before you try to find it.

The inside bolts IE: the ones closest to the drive shaft on each seat, lined up nearly flawlessly for the civic seats!! At the time I WAS PUMPED! they were fitting well!

but then...

The outside bolts are a GOOD 2 inches away. I found that the civic seat rails are too wide for the 720 Bolt pattern.

So, with my vast knowledge of random imports (I've owned 54 cars) we come to an even better option I think...

DEL SOL SEATS!! I know for a fact they are FAR more comfy, and I know at least the front bolt distance from rail to rail is shorter, and might just fit close enough to make it work. ALSO, they sit lower on their rails, well get to that in a second.

But, theyre in, held with 2 bolts, 1 up front, and 1 in back... But, if you think about it, thats the same amount of bolts that hold the Bench seat in.

They can be moved when youre not sitting in them, but, once you sit down, theyre just fine no matter how much you move around and I only weigh 165lbs or so.

Other facts:They sit higher than the OEM bench, I have enough head room (I'm 6'2") but leg room has been reduced an inch or 2. Livable, but if youre taller than 6' I'd look into some other options, or knock the rails off and weld them straight to the floor lol. (I may do this).

Hope that answers the "Rumor" on the fitment of 92-95 Honda Civic seats. Integra, del sol, accord, prelude and CRX rails as well as our original Bucket seat rails may make things better, but thats for you to figure out!

Hope this has been somewhat helpful.

-Paul
Modified by Turbo_mits at 11:09 AM 9/10/2009

Gleno
Car: 1987 Nissan 300zx 1985 Nissan 720

Sounds pretty cool ...could you post some pictures of it?

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

Turbo_mits wrote:
But, theyre in, held with 2 bolts, 1 up front, and 1 in back... But, if you think about it, thats the same amount of bolts that hold the Bench seat in.

They can be moved when youre not sitting in them, but, once you sit down, theyre just fine no matter how much you move around and I only weigh 165lbs or so.
yeah that wouldn't cut it when they do tech inspection on my truck for racing... i'll stick with my single stock driver seat... mine came with 'buckets'

Turbo_mits
Car: 1986 Datsun 720

Well then you have it easy. When it comes to this, and AutoX tech, here in cincy they would just give the seat a wiggle, and thats it. so putting a spot of weld down on the other 2 bolt spots would be a simple fix, but mildly ghetto as well. lol

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

No need to do any welding. A good drill and a couple of bolts and a couple pieces of flat band, and it looks like this.

Return to “Datsun 720”