Homelink garage door opener programming SOLUTION!!!

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
COPlaneGeek
Car: 2006 Nissan Murano SE

Having problem programming your Homelink garage door opener with a Garage door opener that has rolling codes? Throw away the Nissan docs on it and the homelinke PDF, way to confusing.

Simply take the rear view mirror button you would like to program and follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to program a spare remote:

Press button on Garage door opener unit (may be in back or under cover or lich cover) and then press Homelink button and that is it!

cofeeholik

...can you rewrite those instructions in Blonde-lish? ..and stupid question of the day?.. does one need two people to perform this operation?

Last Ride
Car: 2004 G35x

On the garage door opener itself, there should be a button that is marked, "Train" or "Learn" or something similar. Press that button. You will then have 30 seconds to get into your car and press the Homelink button you wish to program twice. That should program the Homelink button to your garage door. I just did this tonight, and it worked on both my Highlander and my G35. FWIW, there are simple instructions in the Highlander manual. They are much less convoluted than the Infiniti instructions.

Bryan

jrc0109
Car: 2000 I30

About a year ago, my button stopped working on our I30. I've been struggling to get this thing to work by following the Infiniti instructions since then and could not get it to work.I followed your simple instructions and now it works! Thanks!!john0109

USAF_G35_Guy
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe 6MT

Sup! was gonna start a thread...but found this one! I've got an 03 g35 and have been trying to calibrate my remote as well. I can't get it to work. I tried all of the above options and I've tried everything it says in the Infiniti manual. The manual says to use the remote (not the actual opener)...you're supposed to hold the handheld remote a few inches away....press and hold which button on the car you want to program, wait for it to blink slowly then continue to hold and then press and hold the handheld remote for about 90seconds until light blinks quickly on the car......WELL! I don't have the handheld remote cause it was stolen along with my motorcycle! (GRRRR) So I need to do an initial learn/train/program for the first time. I tried the train button on the opener, i pressed it.....it also has a blinking light that lasts 30 seconds (window of opportunity for pressing the car homelink) So....I press....goto car, then press twice and nothing. So I tried again....nothing. Again, and pressed 3 times still nothing. So I decided to "reset my homelink" by pressing the 2 outside buttons until the light blinks quickly to show it's reset/cleared. OK it's cleared now.....tried again! still nothing. Sorry to ramble on....just thought I'd go through it in case someone else has had or is having the same problem Well, if anyone knows the fix...plz lemme know! thx alot!

jimbo44

Had the same problem on my new 08 G35 I bought yesterday. Fixed the problem by going to http://www.homelink.com. Select programming and enter information regarding your car. There is a statement that some garage door openers may require you to follow canadian training method....click on that link. That is what I did and it worked. Basically the only difference is that instead of holding your remote down continously in step 3...you press it three times...then follow steps 4 - 7. Good luck.

G37_Harley_Guy

Had the same problem on my new 08 G37 I bought today. Fixed the problem by going to http://www.homelink.com. The instructions are much clearer than the ones in the owners manual.

After two hours of frustration, I was able to program my remote with the instructions from the homelink. This would be very easy to correct in the owners manual if they had two different set of instructions:

1. for garage door openers manufactured until 1996

2. for openers manufactured after 1996.

and simply write them step by step.

BENO5150
Car: 2003 Murano / frountier w/supercharger

Yeah this works!! I almost bought a new garage door opener glad to have read this!!

thanls

Larry O

I'm about to give this a try. Thanks for the great info!

Holidazed
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I just progrmamed my garage door remote with the Homelink on my 01 Pathfinder and it worked great! took two tries and less than 5 minutes to get it working following the instructions in the owners manual.

The trick for me was to follow the separate instructions for Canadian owners whihc are slightly different. instead of holding down the garage door remote button constantly, you have to de-press and press the button every 2 seconds until the homelink light flashes quickly.

onarum
Car: Murano 2009

THANKS!I have been ignoring the fact that I could not program my Homelink on the Murano even tho the jeep I had worked like a breeze. After being lazy I looked here on the link and went to the Homelink site. After entering my info and following the CANADIAN extra instructions it worked like a charm. Presently -17 celcius tonight so it comes in very handy with hands full etc.

Fobulous
Car: 2004 Murano, 2005 BMW X5

I hope people can help me here.

I just moved into a new house.

The garage opener is by Craftsman..

I looked everywhere for the "learn" button but can't locate it instead i only have the "Program" Button, it tells me the hold down the program button and then press the opener receiver and i can program them all day long.. but i have no such luck with my 2004 Murano... it just won't do it..

I have tried it with the opener receiver-to-the-homelink-button method and it didn't work. I tried the rolling code method and of course it didn't work.. Every time when i did it.. the home link button would blink twice and then stayed slow red..

Help!!

KJSmitty
Car: 2009 LE

I have a Craftsman as well. If facing your garage door from the inside of the garage with the opener motor/assembly directly above you, the "learn" button is on the right hand side.

Now of course this is on my unit but my point is the "learn" button is typically up on the motor/assembly unit.

My Craftsman unit has lights on both sides of the motor. The learn button (red/orange square button) as well as other door adjustments are under the right side light cover.

Perform the process using that button etc.

Of course maybe you already have been and it's still not working for you.

Good luck

Cheers.

SEB

works like a charm. thanks. now if I can just get my iphone to download the phonebook....

onceajrzgrl
Car: Nissan Murano 11 CrossCabriolet (Glacier Pearl)

thanks for this post...i had almost about given up coz I was getting frustrated in programming the remote that i had with the car with the homelink and this was a breeze!!!

i had no problems with my older murano but it somehow wouldn't work without the actual garage motor with the 09!! so happy!!!

Cycleeric
Car: 2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD / 1996 Mustang GT convertible

That's the same way we programed our homelink. Quick and easy.

Checked the Homelink site and looking at getting a light control for inside the house to make coming home at night a bit safer

Fobulous
Car: 2004 Murano, 2005 BMW X5

KJSmitty wrote:I have a Craftsman as well. If facing your garage door from the inside of the garage with the opener motor/assembly directly above you, the "learn" button is on the right hand side.

Now of course this is on my unit but my point is the "learn" button is typically up on the motor/assembly unit.

My Craftsman unit has lights on both sides of the motor. The learn button (red/orange square button) as well as other door adjustments are under the right side light cover.

Perform the process using that button etc.

Of course maybe you already have been and it's still not working for you.

Good luck

Cheers.
Glad to hear that you got it to work.

I'm just not sure what i'm doing wrong here..

I have the Craftsman 1/2 HR Opener. There is just one button called "Program" Is that the same thing as "learn"?

What i did was:

1) Press the "Program Button"2) Press & hold the "home link" button for 2 seconds for 3 times

Result: The homelink button just blinks and stays solid red..

Am i missing something here??

Thanks!

Nepenthe1957
Car: 2009 Murano

Thanks for the tip. Using the Homelink website instructions had me up and running in minutes after much frustration.

Nepenthe1957
Car: 2009 Murano

Fobulous wrote:I hope people can help me here.

I just moved into a new house.

The garage opener is by Craftsman..

I looked everywhere for the "learn" button but can't locate it instead i only have the "Program" Button, it tells me the hold down the program button and then press the opener receiver and i can program them all day long.. but i have no such luck with my 2004 Murano... it just won't do it..

I have tried it with the opener receiver-to-the-homelink-button method and it didn't work. I tried the rolling code method and of course it didn't work.. Every time when i did it.. the home link button would blink twice and then stayed slow red..

Help!!
I just programmed my Craftsman by following the instructions on the Homelink web site as advised elsewhere in this forum. Ignore the instructions on the side of the opener!

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.) 2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view. 3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the “cycling” procedure noted in the “View Canadian Instructions” section. 4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released. If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps. 5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us. 6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step. 7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

chadrock
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hey everyone, I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing here. I have no problem programming the mirror with the remote. I even had the dealership do it to ensure it was done correctly.

The problem is no matter how many times I press the learn button and return to the car to complete the programming, nothing happens. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it? My garage door opener is a Genie Screwdrive that I bought a year ago and I haven't had any problem programming other remotes with it using the learn button.

s292a
Car: INFINITI

I am having the same problem on an I30 all the other cars worked just fine. Im wondering if it just is not transmitting.

cjob

I'm having issues programming my pathfinder and g35's homelinks to the same garage door opener. I can do either seperately fine....but after the 1st is done and i go to program the other...the 2nd one works fine but it resets the 1st one and now it doesn't work. How do you get both to work? I tried to doing the programming simultaneously and it didn't seem to work.

cjob

I'm having issues programming my pathfinder and g35's homelinks to the same garage door opener. I can do either seperately fine....but after the 1st is done and i go to program the other...the 2nd one works fine but it resets the 1st one and now it doesn't work. How do you get both to work? I tried to doing the programming simultaneously and it didn't seem to work.

kkielma
Car: Nissan Maxima and Jeep Grand Cherokee

Were you ever able to program both your cars to your craftsman garage door opener? I'm trying to program my Nissan and my Jeep to it and every time I program 1, the other one doesn't work. This is becoming VERY frustrating for me!

CORINNM

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have a 2006 Altima and my husband tried to install a keypad garage door opener about 5 years ago and my garage door opener button, on my visor, has never worked since. I followed your simple steps, climbed up on the later, hit the Learn button or reset, it started flashing, got to my car within 30 seconds and pushed the button I wanted to program and it WORKED!!! It's the simple things in life that make me happy! Now my husband can have his ugly remote back. Thank you again!!!! You rock! ;)

aprilmcl
Car: Infiniti jx35

Good gosh! Thank you for these posts. You made it breezy.

benneewilles
Car: ford

I think i have the solution for your question!! You do one thing firstly just check on the garage door opener itself, there is a button that is marked something as "Learn", once you find that press that button. Then the system will provide you approx 20-30 seconds till that time you must get into your car and then Homelink button program it twice.

Darthswan
Car: 2012 M37X
99 Nissan Maxima

I am experiencing this problem now. Did not have any problems programing my parents garage. My garage is another story. I went through every post, every suggestion. Even went north of the border nothing. I'm going to have to go to dealership to get this corrected.

GeorgBMW6
Car: BMW 6 Series 645Ci

COPlaneGeek wrote:Throw away the Nissan docs...
don't know about Nissan docs, but the procedure is rather simple. But I use Craftsman universal remotes instead vehicle's to be able to open the door no matter which car. To program you garage door opener remote: http://wnet.name/content/visor_compact_prog.html - programming is easy too.

wankelrx8
Car: 2011 Infiniti G37

I had struggled with this for a while until stumbling across a solution on a different site. I had gone over the instructions multiple times, even had Homelink customer support on the phone while programming, and it still didn't work. They told me my Homelink might be defective, to have it checked out at the dealer. NOT! The last thing I want to do is stop by a dealer for service.

I have a Genie GDO with a remote that is grey and white, and it has three buttons. One large center button, and two smaller buttons on either side. To cut to the chase, this remote can operate on TWO DIFFERENT FREQUENCIES, and there is a switch on the side of the remote that allows you to change the frequency. If your switch fell off, then open the remote and flip the switch from inside. If you were having trouble syncing your genie remote with your homelink, then this may be the solution for you. It should be able to sync with the homelink once you change your frequency. I hope it works for all you Genie sufferers out there!

Here's the original post I found on another forum:
-----------------------------------------

I know this is an old thread, but I am going to add some information for those who are searching for a solution to their homelink programming problems:

Genie door openers (and presumably others as well) use both 315 MHz and 390 MHz frequencies, and the Genie openers are set to 315 MHz by default. The Dodge Homelink system will only program on 390 MHZ, so you must first switch your remote to the 390 MHz setting. On my Genie remote, the switch was sticky and I had to pull the back off to make sure that it was actually on the 390 setting and not stuck between the two. The LED on your door opener head unit should flash when you press the button on your handheld, so you can use that feature to check that it is actually transmitting and that the battery is OK.

Once you have the handheld set to 390 MHz, you should be able to train the car to the remote using the well documented Dodge procedure. Incidentally, I have a Canadian door opener, but did not require the "press multiple times" Canadian training instructions to get it to work - just pressing and holding the button was good enough.

I also noted that when resetting the homelink system in my 06 SRT8 Magnum, the EVIC never actually says "Codes Cleared", but you will know it is reset if pressing one of the Homelink buttons says "Training" in the EVIC.

For a rolling code system, which is most of them now, once the car is trained to the remote and pressing the homelink button causes the EVIC to say "transmitting", your car is the equivalent of a fresh unprogrammed remote for the garage door opener. You need to go ahead and program the homelink to the head unit using the manufacturer's instructions for a new remote, which are usually the same as the "rolling code" programming instructions from Dodge.

If you have everything set to 390 MHz and the remote works with the door opener, but you still can't get it to work, try resetting all the codes in the door opener itself and starting again from the beginning. For a Genie opener holding the learn button for 10 seconds or until the LED goes out resets all of the codes.

I hope these tricks help someone else out because it can be a frustrating procedure getting this system to work, and if you don't do it just right it will never program!

-Matthew

Last edited by Matthewp; 12-23-2009 at 06:04 PM.
-------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Murano Forum”