Homeade sleepy eyes.

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
180crafter
Car: Nissan 240sx

Hows everyone doing???

Just wondering if anyone has any idea of how to make our stock pop up headlights into sleepy eyes. I have seen Ford Probe (sorry I desecrated this site by saying the "F" word) owners who say that they can do it at home or have found someone who can.

I have used my trusty Google search and found nothing but cars with sleepy eyes.

Ive got a great idea for the front end of my car.

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

go to 240sx.org ... look in their faq

180crafter

I've seen those, but none of these conversions are clean...

The first one, your headlights dont close all the way and the second one they never go down.

Im looking for something cleaner, that goes down like it should but only opens about five or six inches.

180crafter

Hey Dauntless...

Couldn't you make some new arms for the lights????

I know the arms control how much it opens and closes, couldn't you fabricate something that replaces the stock arms....

I would buy them from you and i know other people on the forum would also....

mmmmmm......money.

Daunttless

I could have some plans drawn up, I'll have some extra headlights after I rip them out of my car, but a) I don't know if its legal, b) it might hurt the headlight motor, c) it would probably be pretty rough to change as the gearing and the control arm would have to be changed, and then you could never fully open your headlight again. : )

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

personally, i would like my headlights to go to the full upright position when on @ night, and when not in use, or during the day, have them half-way. I like to be able to see sh*t at night, thankyouverymuch :D (besides i have H4 lamps with little parking lights inside the housing), so when they are halfway up i'll still get a cool orange glow to emit, say around dusk, when i drive with just the parking lights on.

Daunttless

it might be possible to put almost liked a timed fuse in the for the motor, so that the motor only runs for so long, then stops, then you have to hit it again. That would allow you to do different stages. Either you'd do a single deal that would stop halfway, so you'd have to hit your headlights twice to put them up or put them down, or you could do some sort of relay so the first time they only open a little, and the second time they open a lot...I dunno.. : )

FrEaK

Yea a fuse that you light everytime.. makes sense to me

180crafter

Well.....

since there is so much doubt in this post let me clear things up for you....

I plan on changing the driving lights... kinda like the clearcorners, just not costing 800 f**king dollars.

Let me know how much for the arms....

180crafter

we need some trust in this forum.....

Daunttless

Oh blow me freak. : ) I didn't know what to call it and I didn't think a detonator would be an appropriate term. All I was thinking of was a detonator that you put in C4. : ) You could do something like that, probably not the right terminology or whatever for what I"m talking about, but you get the idea. Also, they're reusable if you don't put them in C4. : )

FrEaK

LOL yea man i knew what you meant... it was just another opportunity....

180crafter

Ok, can anyone other than Daunt the pyro make me something thats works.... I happen to like the front of my car... on my car. :D

Daunttless

I'm not a pyro, pyro's light things on fire, I'm a professional. : )

Also, how much would peopl be interested in paying for something liek this, if I can figure out a way to make your headlights still work when you want them to? : )

FrEaK

But then were back to the product that has already been invented.. sigh.. just go buy the damn thing...

Cyberkreig
Car: 1993 240sx (SR )

well that control that PDM used to sell.. what ever happened to that? Was $80.. but then, no one bought it.. cuz it was $80..

180crafter

those controllers are temp. thing... Im looking for something more permanent. I never want to fiddle with anything, or have to install another ugly box in my passenger compartment. I wouldnt really mind changing the motor every once and a while.

Dauntless... quality, quantity, demand. These are all very important factors to the price. Please let us know. You can use my car for testing.

Freak... damn man, I thought I was an a55hole.

FrEaK

Your a fairy from Dairy Queen, if you think im an ******* after what i wrote (which wasn't anything offensive) please do not step in the ring...

neurovish

what are you planning?hopfefully you're not going to replace your driving lamps with foglights, I saw that once on a probe and almost fell out of my car laughing.Here is the best way to get the sleepy eye look though....

hardly costs anything and your lights will still be able to go all the way up or down without having to go in and change stuff mechanically

slw240sx
Car: 1990 Ca18det 240sx Hatch

so basicly with the switch you cut the power before the headlight can fully open? correct ? and if this is correct you can put it at any stage of opening depending on your timing when switching on or off the switch? thats a very simple an cheap trick and you know this works for a fact ?

KSee777

hehe... it's like playing a game every time you want a sleepy look. "ready.... go! " *click* *click* "Damn... too high.."

Cyberkreig

FrEaK wrote:Your a fairy from Dairy Queen, if you think im an ******* after what i wrote (which wasn't anything offensive) please do not step in the ring...

Even if your right, you used the phrase "fairy from Dairy Queen" as an insult? What does that even mean!?

180crafter

neurovish... Im planning something along those lines, just alot more thought put into it. How do you think that Clearcorners does their sh*t? Those lights are just small driving lamps, but installed cleanly. I will make something better than that, and it will cost about 1/3 of the cost of their kit. Trust me...

Freak... Im happy that we can get along like adults without calling each other childish names. Also, I didnt know Dairy Queen had fairies...

FrEaK

Little do you know.

MasterMan
Car: nothing running at the moment city buses "uck here

damn got to it b4 i could.. i was thinkin the same thing.. just put a swich on the power wire.. and woobam u can controle where it stops.. good thukin :)

180crafter

I know the switch thing works... barely. I've seen it in action and its not pretty at all. A friend of mine wanted the sleepy eye look, put a switch in and it never looks the same. Its like a guessing game every time you put the lights on.

The key word here is professional. I want it to look professional, even if I am the moron doing it. The only way to do this is using something more thought out than a switch.

Anyone can do sh*t half-as5ed. You can spray paint your taillights to make them look different, but would you want to??

MasterMan
Car: nothing running at the moment city buses "uck here

yes :pface

Cyberkreig

a toggle switch would be kinda ghetto.. does anyone know if you could use a slider or dial to adjust how much juice flows through.. n so how quickly the lighs go up? get my meaning?

89sxRCR
Car: destroying self esteem

i actually have a pivot controller. If your talking about space being taken up u obviously never seen a pivot. Its maybey an inch and half wide...its completely hidden underneath my steering wheel. While the 80 bucks is pricey i think it just gives my car another something over the other 240s. its pretty trick. Specialy when i finish my sr installation. All the homemade sleepy eyes are going to be hard to adjust to the right angle for optimum airflow. If you want a functioning sleepy eye buy the pivot or a facsimile, otherwise just crank the manual motor adjuster.

FrEaK

Isn't that what i said a few posts back? Just buy the real deal...

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”