Homeade sleepy eyes.

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
180crafter
Car: Nissan 240sx

Freak... If you like the Pivot box so much, you buy it.... I think I made it clear that I dont want one.....

Dauntless.... hows those arms coming?

Daunttless

heh, haven't even checked into it yet, have a lot of other projects to take care of first. I wouldn't expect anything out of me about it till October/November, remind me then and when I have some spare time I'll look into it. : )

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

180crafter wrote:Freak... If you like the Pivot box so much, you buy it.... I think I made it clear that I dont want one.....

Dauntless.... hows those arms coming?

Well then the next time people give you good ideas and you reject them all, dont ****in complain.. the pivot box was made for your purpose... you want exactly what is does but you dont want to dish the 80 bucks... if you dont want to take the ideas then stop asking for ideas and go screw yourself...

Mike09

I'm with Freak Just spent 80 bucks and save the time and hassle of doing it yourself.

89sxRCR
Car: destroying self esteem

I actually agree with you too freak. If your that low on money maybey sleepy eyes shouldnt be on your horizon...

SWIFT_DRIFT

I acutally fooled around with my control arms. If you lengthen them the lights will close in the sleepy position, but when you raise the lights the motor raises them, but the lights will only go up so far, so the motor is trying to push the lights up farther than it's supposed to. if you try to retract the lights again, you cant, the motor gets stuck. The reverse happens if you try to shorten the arms, the lights try to close farther down than they are supposed to, so they get stuck there. Yeah you can unplug the light motors and adjust their sleepy look manually, but then you have no control over the lights. if you plug the motors back in and press the headlight button, the motors will automatically reset back to normal. Buy the pivot controller.

slw240sx
Car: 1990 Ca18det 240sx Hatch

a pivot controller is prob close to that ghetto switch but controls it better correct? and where can i get one of these controlers i seen one 240 with sleepy eyes an i love that look but adjusting it manual will get old an its only temp

89sxRCR

go to http://www.autoimaging.com for the pivot. I dont think its close to ghetto, the box is extremely miniturized and can fit practically anywhere. I dont know if there is a group buy with it now, there used to be when i got mine.

Flipity

if you use a momentary toggle switch you can adjust it more finely, or a potentiometer from like radio shack should do the trick, im not sure how to wire it up though.

slw240sx
Car: 1990 Ca18det 240sx Hatch

well a 100 bucks for a little black box isnt so bad not so good but ill just get one of the sleepy eye light kits ill end up buyin it later any way

Two-Forty

the guy is just trying to save his money, there nuttin wrong wid that, and it's not a neccessity, just wait till you get your xmas bonus then buy the damn thing, so these guys can stop gettin on your case.

TooSicks

neurovish wrote:what are you planning?hopfefully you're not going to replace your driving lamps with foglights, I saw that once on a probe and almost fell out of my car laughing.Here is the best way to get the sleepy eye look though....

hardly costs anything and your lights will still be able to go all the way up or down without having to go in and change stuff mechanically

if you want em to stop at a preset point, just add a second switch in parallell, run up to your headlight motor, install a sp/pbnc microswitch somewhere on the moving part of the inside and use a flexible tab to actuate the mmcroswitch. if ya want to make it more thrick than that, use a spdt toggle in place of the cockpit switch, and wire it up to position1 bypass the microswitch or position 2 in series with the microswitch. i'll try to draw some schematics when i get paintshop pro installed.

If ya really want to make it ultra trick, get an ic555 timer chip from radio shack, a 0 to 10k potentiometer, and a 12v-5v field effect transistor voltage regulator, and an assortment pack of resistors and you can make yourself a dial-vriable timer to replace the microswich. it'll cost a hole helluvalot less than $80, and closer to $8 and with some help from a sample schematic book, you can build one. that's what i'm planning on doing, should be pretty simple.

Two-Forty

yes please keep me updated

turboex

Man this sleepy eye stuff is getting out of hand. Honestly does it look that good? My boy had a newer probe and the head light button started to take a crap, then it started to stop the headlights in weird places. He looked for a switch and found the whole sleepy eye stuff on the net. So he comes over talking all this crap about his new "MOD", i mean come on really it looked light crap. To me it looks like a broke *** head light motor, IE pontiac fiero, rember those they all had sleepy eyes. I never thought it looked good on them. I guess it ok on a 240 just cause its a 240, but on any other car its gay. I mean if all the guys with the old preludes and accords were doing this mod we would call it gay.

sxse
Car: no more 240, '04 YZF-R6

I dont quite get it either... I like my 240 w/ the lights all the way down, and at night all people can see is the lights anyway... If you like your lights showing, why dont you just get JDM front end.. Not trying to offend anybody jsut thought that the whole point of pop-ups were to look streamlined while down....

but whatever.... :)

Two-Forty

Everyone has different tastes, just bare with us and help us out.

TooSicks

turboex wrote:Man this sleepy eye stuff is getting out of hand. Honestly does it look that good? My boy had a newer probe and the head light button started to take a crap, then it started to stop the headlights in weird places. He looked for a switch and found the whole sleepy eye stuff on the net. So he comes over talking all this crap about his new "MOD", i mean come on really it looked light crap. To me it looks like a broke *** head light motor, IE pontiac fiero, rember those they all had sleepy eyes. I never thought it looked good on them. I guess it ok on a 240 just cause its a 240, but on any other car its gay. I mean if all the guys with the old preludes and accords were doing this mod we would call it gay.

i had an '86 prelude and the lights really don't flip up, they just rotate on a near central axis. sleepy eyes would look gay as **** on a lude.

89sxRCR

Quote »I dont quite get it either... I like my 240 w/ the lights all the way down, and at night all people can see is the lights anyway... If you like your lights showing, why dont you just get JDM front end.. Not trying to offend anybody jsut thought that the whole point of pop-ups were to look streamlined while down....[/quote]

...pivot is JDM for thier 180's and silvias.. sleepy eyes are popular in japan...thats why it carried over to the U.S and elsewhere. And while "the whole point" of pop ups is to reduce the air drag (when down) sleepy eyes let you open it a bit to increase air to the intake without ruining the streamline...you dont open them that much enough to ruin the aerodynamics.

Two-Forty

even if it WAS a problem, you wouldn't be going fast enough for it to BE a difference.

Two-Forty

SO you're saying everyone who has pop up headlights we go slower at night time?

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

No he never said you'd be going slower. Streamline doesn't have to deal solely with speed. In my dads pickup I get more mpg on the highway when the tail is down....Less resistance. This is similar (and more minor) for 240s. Would the pop-ups also create more drag on the car when up? I would think so.

89sxRCR

hence why race cars are extremely low profile and streamlined, less air resistance. Im not saying you WILL go slower with fully extended lights, im saying your creating more resistance, which in turn MIGHT cause you to go slower (wind picks up, faster speeds) or lose some handling as your car is creating more drag in the front. The results arent going to be drastic, but if i was racing i would want the lights down; every little bit helps.

turboex

this is a funny thread:pface

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

Most threads on this site are...

Silvia2b
Car: 95 240sx se / 07 G35s cpe / 2009 G37s sedan (rear-ended R.I.P.) / 19 Q50 rs400AWD

yeah funny, why else would I read a post dating back two months that won't even work on my car (S-14)! keep it up I like the entertainment value. but lazy or not i'm getting sleepy.

TooSicks

I was looking at the lights yesterday and it looks like on the front inside of the lights, where the plastic trim is, a cam bump or tab can be attached and a microswitch mounted facing out from the front fascia where it meets the hood. just make the tab actuate the microswitch where you want the lights to sleepy at and they'll stop there.

If i can build a plug and play black box for sleepy eyes, with variable stop settings, how many of you would be interested in buying one if i sell 'em for $50 or so? If there's enough of a demand i'll R&D one and do a small production run

lateralmotion
Car: guitar, skateboarding, driving

I think we'd rather go with a pivot thing if you're going to charge that much, just for reliability reasons and the whole brand name thing. anyways, this thread is about NOT having to pay much money to do it.

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

For ****s sakes... just buy the pivot box and close this stupid *** thread...

Two-Forty

hehe

sil80drifter
Car: 1990 240SX Hatch

i can sprinkle magic pink pixie dust on mine and the lights will get sleepier and sleepier until they are completely closed, but then my car falls asleep and so do I and we both start hitting trees.

THERE IS NO MAGIC PIXIE DUST.

make ur own black box kit, it'll cost you 10 bucks and maybe 4 hours of figuiring it out/putting it together.

(ok so I totally ripped off the IBM commecrial, sue me...no please don't)

sil80

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”