Home audio/theater deals.

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Hey guys/gals, I'm big into home audio and periodically I see deals worth looking at.

I came across this deal. Energy 5.0 system. No idea how long it'll last.399.00 + free shipping!http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecom...44559

Also, they have an eBay store with a Buy it now option. With the Live.com discount that's now back to 25%, you could have this for 300.00 shipped!

You'll still need a receiver and a sub to complete the 5.1 system.
Modified by Looneybomber at 12:27 PM 2/28/2009

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

If you don't mind buying refurbished gear, Harmon Int (parent company of JBL, Infinity, Harmon Kardon, ect...) sells a LOT of refurb equipment on ebay. I've purchased 4, Infinity Beta 20's for a total price of basically 240.00 shipped. (*edit* I've purchased 5, and had a 6th sent to me free, so I now have 6 beta-20's for around 300 shipped)

5 speakers would then be right at 300.00 shipped and that gives you an identical speaker with a 6.5" woofer on every channel. Perfect for a budget HT. These large'ish bookshelf speakers sound really good too. I highly recommend this 5.0 setup.

Their refurbished gear comes with all new packaging and so far every speaker that's arrived (I've bought JBL products that have arrived too) was in mint condition. They also have a warranty.
Modified by Looneybomber at 8:14 AM 7/25/2009

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Problem with purchasing something like that is you can't listen to them first. The sets I'm interested in I've heard before.

Looks like a good deal tho.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

AV123 currently has quite a few sales going on along with a lot of B-stock items. For example, here's a nice 4 tower, 1 center 5.0 package.1188.00 plus shipping.http://av123.com/component/pag...id,37/

They use Vifa drivers and that XT25 tweeter is excellent! I've not heard these, but that tweeter I have heard in another application and liked it. So long as they didn't botch up the crossover design, these should be golden. Plus they look awesome!

Also, if you don't like them, AV123 has a 30day return policy.
audtatious wrote:Problem with purchasing something like that is you can't listen to them first. The sets I'm interested in I've heard before.

Looks like a good deal tho.
So true. The Energy deal, it's a shot in the dark because I've never gone and heard them anywhere so I can't tell anyone if they rock or suck. But that said, what sucks to me, might rock to someone else and visa versa.

The Infinity Beta's I can vouch for and really do enjoy their sound. I own (in my sister's posession) some Infinty Entra one's which I picked up pretty cheap and have heard some Infinity Alpha 20's, so I didn't mind taking a shot in the dark when purchasing the Beta 20's. I actually bought a pair for my GF to replace the Sony bookshelfs that my son blew, and then decided to buy another pair after hearing them. I do like Infinity products so long as I don't pay retail for them and at the price I paid for the Beta20's, a 5.0 setup with them will hands down be the best setup for the money that I have seen.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I'm running an old set of Infinity Sterling series bookshelf speakers as my rear surrounds and they do a great job.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

I've been keeping an eye out for some of their older gear - Overture series - but now that I just spent about 700.00 with Harmon Int, I won't be buying any more gear for a little while (with the exception of one more in-wall speaker to finish out the pair). But on the bright side, I'll now have music on my parents patio, pool, and living room and GF's place.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Huge sale on NHT products.http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/

He has some amps, speakers/monitors, kits, raw drivers, ect... A lot of the stuff is geared towards the person that isn't lazy and wants a plug'n'play product. For example, that subwoofer amp would be attatched to an enclosure, the speakers pictured above need a passive crossover made for them, which Jack has information for and is rediculously easy to make so long as you have a soldering gun.

BTW, the speakers pictured above are $280/pr (plus shipping) with the stands. They used to sell for $1500/pr. So that's over 80% off!

*edit*It looks as if Jack (owner of that site) has over 400 of the XdS speakers and over 500 stands on hand. It also shows he has 83 XdW subwoofers on hand but are not yet available. I just messaged him to see when they are and how much they will be.

Here's what that Xd package would look like.

*edit #2*It looks as if the XdW's (Subwoofers) are available at 300 + shipping. It's a dual 10" sealed enclosure with a 500w amp. It has no crossover or EQ functions built in, so you'll have to rely on your receiver's functions. Anymore all receivers have a built in crossover, but not all have a subwoofer eq.

*edit #3*As of 3/10, he has...371 XdS speakers516 stands48 XdW subwoofers

*edit #4*It looks as is John K. from Zaph Audio ordered a pair of these XdS speakers and is currently working up a crossover design for them. http://www.zaphaudio.com/blog.html

If someone was so inclined, they could build a bass-bin using the XdW 10" woofer to place the XdS speaker on instead of buying a speaker stand. This would take a lot of stress off the 5.25" Seas woofer and increase midbass and bass output.
Modified by Looneybomber at 10:48 AM 3/24/2009

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Stumbled across this.
ouc wrote:So I stumbled on to the fact that Sears seems to be blowing out the BA product at significant discounts. So here's what I ended up buying:

Boston AcousticsHS 225 Center Channel - normal retail $249 - I paid $98 for 1HS 40 Shelf speaker - normal retail $99 each- I paid $33 each (included a 10% display discount)HPS10SE Subwoofer - normal retail $349.99 - I paid $$75.60 which includes an additional 10% discount they just threw in.

So for these prices, this should be quite an upgrade from the tiny Sony satellites, center channel and subwoofer I have.

I just wanted to share in case anyone else out there is ok with these prices. You do have to check around the Sears in your area because they will all have different clearance prices. For example the HS 225 was $151.00 in Burbank, CA. I bought it at North Hollywood for the $98.00. And by the way, if you are interested, North Hollywood still had about 3 HPS10SE's and 2 more HS 225's. They also had the MCS100 surround package, normal retail $599.99 - for $188. Now that's a killer package price.

Just thought I would share this info.

I would be interested in any comments or experiences, either good or bad, on my junky Sony or BA upgrades.

Happy hunting!
asdf002 wrote:VERIFIED...

The sears around my area had - hs225 - $98 for bnib and $35 for floor modelhs40 - $27 bnibhps10se - $98 for floor modelhs450 - $90 for floor modelmcs100 - $200 bnib

Thinking of picking me up a whole set hs225 x 1, hs40 x 2, hs450 x 2 and hps10se x 1.

would only cost me $35 + 54 + 180 + 98 = $367...not bad

audtatious

Not too bad for beginner stuff at all.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

audtatious wrote:Not too bad for beginner stuff at all.
Pretty much everything I post in this thread will be entry level stuff. You won't see any Krell, Wilson, or any other esoteric (think expensive) brands. If I see a good good deal on mid/high-level stuff, I'll post it here, but not too many people on here will be shopping for Martin Logan, PSB Platinum, ect...

That said, I am still super impressed with my cheap Infinity Beta-20's I got off ebay.

audtatious

I have an old set of Infinity Sterling series bookshelf speakers (sealed) from '91 that are great as rear surround speakers. The newer Infinity ported bookshelf speakers I have in the bedroom (circa '99) pretty much suck.

PoorManQ45

Wow, I cant believe I missed this thread.

That first deal you posted was killer!

Audtatious, when it comes to those speakers you can usually offload them to somebody on the AVS forum for the same price if you don't like them.

ABM~Tuning

There is some nice items posted here i am looking for something abit different for my room though,i am after a couple of subs fitted in a presentation box with a car radio connect to the mains for an alternative cd/radio.this is my first post a NICO.

Vinny xx

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Subwoofers, double the pleasure, double the fun! Yeah it reminds me of that double mint gum commercial...from when a lot of folks on here weren't even born yet.

Twin AV123 MFW-15'shttp://www.av123.com//index.ph...id=37

Twin 15's...700w of power...Mark Seaton designed...nice pretty finish...yeah.

899.00 plus shipping

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Here's another two'fer deal, but not quite as good as the MFW-15 deal above.

Twin Elemental Designs A3-300'shttp://www.edesignaudio.com/pr...d=102

Twin 12's...600w of power...

1000.00 shipped

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Vinny xx: Make a new thread with a better description of what you want along with goals and I'm sure you can get something that will work for you.
Modified by Looneybomber at 10:12 AM 7/22/2009

ABM~Tuning

Cheers,thanks i think i will do just that cause i am looking for something that youd find in the boot/trunk of a car for my room.thanks for the imput and suggestion

vinny xx

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

For a small change of pace. Computer speakers!

Boston Acoustics MM220http://www.audioadvisor.com/pr...MM220

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

http://www.electronics-expo.com

A store near my house that has online stuff too - they have 5.1 systems (speakers only) for really cheap...I picked up a $700 polk setup last year for around $300...

ABM~Tuning

marlin29311 wrote:http://www.electronics-expo.com

A store near my house that has online stuff too - they have 5.1 systems (speakers only) for really cheap...I picked up a $700 polk setup last year for around $300...
sweet deal,lucky you

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

KEF iQ1http://www.accessories4less.co....html

And matching Center KEF iQ2Chttp://www.accessories4less.co....html------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mirage Omni speakershttp://www.vanns.com/shop/serv...72409$179 shipped

And for the package deal including subwoofer.When purchased separately: $1,659.70 Package savings: $1,009.82 Package Price: $649.88

ABM~Tuning

the top ones they look pretty cool but im not in favour of the long stanging speakers,specially with a wooden finnish:)

PoorManQ45

Are you talking about tower speakers?

I properly designed tower speaker will destroy most setups other then separates with a dedicated midbass enclosure

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

If you've seen my many audio related posts, you've more than likely seen me cheerlead the infinity beta's. I'm no Infinity fanboi...well that's not true, I do like a lot of the products they've produced over the past 15yrs (Primus line excluded)...just not at MSRP.

This is why I have been praising the beta's so much. They sound good and can be had cheap! Because they're out of production, they're getting rare, but you can still find some beta products.

Here, for example, you can get a 3-way center, in Cherry only, for 169.00 shipped!http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/BetaC360.html

Remember, the center is arguably the most important speaker in a HT setup, so don't skimp! Some say the subwoofer is, either way, don't skimp!

They also list the Beta20 bookshelfs for 100.00 shipped, but I don't know if that's for the pair or for the single.http://www.theaudiovideosource....html

If it's a pair, then it's a good deal! If it's single, then it's not so good. I got my remanufactured ones from Harman Internationl for around 50-55 shipped on eBay.

For 100.00 for each beta 20, I would just buy as many of those 3-way centers as you need, because they're real similar to the Beta 40 tower speakers. You could run a similar setup for your front sound stage.

But instead of using a shelf and an acoustically transparent screen with projector, you could set your TV on the center and use stands for the other two. Or set them on bookshelfs. Whatever.

PoorManQ45

I hate when people use a deferent speaker for the center. It never matches perfectly.

I'd do like you suggested and use three centers if you like their sound.

With a projector screen you could go with three full range speakers upfront

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Yeah, ideally a person should use 7 or 5 identical speakers, but that's usually only possible in a dedicated theater room.

Next best is using 3 identical fronts and then matching rears, but that's usually only possible when a person uses a projector or has their TV wall mounted. I think this is likely the best option due to the cost savings since th surrounds really don't need to be large 3way towers.

The best compromise is 3-way towers with a 3-way center using the same drivers. They won't sound the same due to crossover differences and physical layout of the baffle, but it's a whole lot better than using a 2-way horizontal MTM as the center.

PoorManQ45

Why not use WMTMs all the way across

That is, Woofer, Mid, Tweeter, Mid.

I always liked HSUs dedicated midbass drivers. Three MTMs, each sitting on a dedicated Midbass would be very ideal.

Unfortunately until you get in to rather expensive 3 way towers there are a lot of compromises. With a MTM on midbass setup you'd get a very nice system.

But, of course, I am all for home built speakers.

I like checking out the partsexpress project section for cool ideas. I'm thinking something with a lot of 6.5" drivers for reinforcement would be nice, and not require too much air space. Or 8s, or hell 10s. Damnit, now i'm thinking 12's for tower speakers... You need 4 per speaker, right... That's normal, isn't it

audtatious

Space constraints and cost are one big factor. Sure, one of us could probably build such a setup but the masses can't and probably don't care enough to do it.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm using cheap (dollar wise) speakers for my HE system. I think I paid 100 bux delivered for my Advent AS2's and picked up my AR center channel (AR c225) for about 70 bux. What I found out later is that the AR center channel happened to be a rebranded version of the same center channel that matches the Advents (AR PS2262 is the same speaker as the AS2). I lucked out. I actually lucked out twice because they sound good.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

PoorManQ45 wrote:I always liked HSUs dedicated midbass drivers. Three MTMs, each sitting on a dedicated Midbass would be very ideal.
There's a few different thoughts on the subject, but HSU does market their MBM's for nearfield use using the LFE along with a subwoofer. Dr. Geddes presumes a person should use multiple MBM's (not HSU products but MBM's in general) spread throughout the room.

Others, like yourself, use them to help out their mains using their AVR's preamp outs, not the LFE.
PoorManQ45 wrote: I like checking out the partsexpress project section for cool ideas. I'm thinking something with a lot of 6.5" drivers for reinforcement would be nice, and not require too much air space. Or 8s, or hell 10s. Damnit, now i'm thinking 12's for tower speakers... You need 4 per speaker, right... That's normal, isn't it
You know I did buy 15's for use with my 3way towers I want to build, but due to a lack of time (and paralysis through analysis), I've been unable to build them.
PoorManQ45 wrote:With a MTM on midbass setup you'd get a very nice system.
The thing with an MTM is it puts a lot of stress on the tweeter. It undoubtably becomes the weakest link in the system. Why? A single driver is used for a certain bandwidth and due to the driver spacing of an MTM (between the mids) a lower crossover point is needed, which means the tweeter has an even larger bandwidth to operate in than it would in a TM alignment.

So that's the compromise with an MTM. You gain overall sensitivity because the 2nd mid can compensate for the baffle step compensation (typically a 3-6db loss in sensitivity), and you reduce vertical dispersion, which helps eliminate floor/ceiling bounce (which is why a horizontally placed MTM is bad, because it reduces horizontal dispersion), but stresses the tweeter more. Although that may not be an issue if you're using Morel ET or Supreme tweeters, but at >$300/pr. That said, I bought a Fountek Neopro5i to use as my tweeter. 305/ea

To help take some stress off the tweeter, a person could go with a TMM 2.5way design or even a MTM 2.5way (similar to a 3way MTW) because then you only have to worry about the center to center spacing of the tweeter to the mid instead of mid to mid in a conventional 2way MTM. That usually reduces the tweeter's operating range by an octave. It also introduces more hurdles to overcome in the crossover design including phasing which is beyond me. That's also why I've not built my speakers.
Modified by Looneybomber at 1:24 PM 8/9/2009

PoorManQ45

Mmmm... Scanspeak midranges with morel tweeter

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

PoorManQ45 wrote:Mmmm... Scanspeak midranges with morel tweeter
It's not SS and Morel, but it is SS and SB acoustics, which Zaph Audio tested and found to have a very low THD.

$400/pr as pictured, which is less than just the woofers cost!http://www.madisound.com/catal...=8644

http://www.clearwaveloudspeake....html

Price list

PoorManQ45

splooge!!!!!!!!

Return to “Around the House”