Hmmm HP laptop LCD problem. HELP PLEASE

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
allenms240
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX

So I have this HP Pavillion, have had it for a while. Just the other week the screen wouldn't turn on. I bought a new LCD inverter as well as a video supply cable becuase I heard those were notiorious for being the culprit. I hooked it all up, and the LCD turned on, but was only a white screen with lines all over the screen. So I bought a new one online. I just hooked it up last night and This is what I got:

http://youtu.be/QFOQmEo_Dak

The display is fine right up until windows comes up, then it goes crazy. I'm not sure if this is becuase of the inverter. The new one I bought, I had unplugged the lcd screen from it while it was still on (would that blow the inverter). When the screen is on, I hear a slight buzzing coming from the inverter if I put my ear right up to it. Please let me know what you think, I need my laptop back already.

ALso, the screen looks fine on a external monitor. So it MUST be the screen, inverter, or video supply correct? I tested the purchased LCD screen on my other laptop and it worked just fine.

Relying on you Nico!

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

What sort of connection do you have betwen the monitor and the main board? If you have a ribbon, it's probably the ribbon going from the main board to the screen. It could be pinched. Also try cleaning out the terminators and try to align the pins better?

I've heard of some issues occurring like this if the screen resolution is set too big for the monitor or graphics card to handle, as well. Maybe try a different setting?

If all else fails, then the connector on the main board is bad.

allenms240

Well I replaced the video supply, which is the ribbon you are talking about.
I suppose I could try and clean the pins, Although it seem kind of hard harhar. I'll give it a go.
I will try to change the graphics setting, since the laptop boots up fine but craps out when the OS starts running.

EDIT: No go on the resolution. :(

Dattebayo

The resolution isn't set until the OS starts working. The opening screen is set on a default resolution.

allenms240

Yes that's what I meant. I was following the logic. But to no avail.

Dattebayo

Point your wand at it and say "lavate las manos".

But seriously, clean the pins, check for damage on the wire/ribbon going into the screen.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I have a similar-looking Acer laptop with exactly the same problem that was given to me by a friend who got sick of it being broken.

At first I thought it was the monitor position switch (on the right of the lower chassis). I tried unplugging it (leaving the switch open) and shorting it to force the switch closed. Both SEEMED to help for a while but then the problem returned. I also suspected pinched cables, so I removed all the casing cosmetics and even tried with none of the case reinforcement in place...no help.

Then the problem started occuring on the VGA monitor output as well. After giving up on getting the inbuilt display working, I decided to hook the damn thing up to my TV and use it as a Linux minecraft server. After a while the VGA output began flickering, ghosting and distorting, too, and it became completely unusable.

I have no idea what the issue is at this point. I'm assuing it's either power to the video hardware, or the video hardware itself. Both are integrated components so it's not really worth the effort to investigate further. I ended up taking the HDD out of the laptop and putting it in my PS3, which means the thing still served a nice purpose.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”