Hmm. . . I need your guys' opinion on these wheels. . .

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Jagstang
Car: 1995 S14 w/ Kouki S14 SR20DET

Since my car is lowered, I need some rims. . . I am 4 lug, and will not be going 5 lug since to me, there's a lot of different assortment of rim choices that I can get.

So anyways, these are the rims I might be picking up tomorrow.

Gulf Stitch (JDM wheels) 4/5x114.3
18x9+18 225/40/18 around 70-60% of tread
18x10+11 245/40/18 around 20-10% of tread

His asking price is $1500 (But I managed to drop it to $1450 since the tires in the back will need to be changed soon). And that's as low as he'll go. . . He's very firm on the price.

Here's the pictures.

Anyways, what do you guys think? I tried looking on the net for pics of them on an S14 240sx (or S13), but I couldn't find anything.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Last edited by Jagstang on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Razi
Car: Moo

Meh, it's gonna look bad on your stock bodied S14.
Even with aero it might not look as good as other wheels.

Jagstang

Razi wrote:Meh, it's gonna look bad on your stock bodied S14.
Even with aero it might not look as good as other wheels.
Hmm. . . FACK, I need to see pictures of how it looks on a 240. My S14 currently has Kouki skirts, and Zenki front lip. I think it might look good (since Zenki S14's look amazing with deep dish wheels).

But damn LAWL, you guys sure seem to hate it already. . . HAHA :lolling:

Here's a similar ish looking wheels on an S13. It looks pretty damn good.

Here's an S14 with similar rims. Stock fenders, and it looks great!

On a POS. . . :lolling:

Painted a different color

Last edited by Jagstang on Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnjoiNismo
Car: 93 240sx

Hell yeah i'd get those, you will at least need a roll/coilovers/ruca's to make it decent though.
I love those rims.

Jagstang

EnjoiNismo wrote:Hell yeah i'd get those, you will at least need a roll/coilovers/ruca's to make it decent though.
I love those rims.
Yea I know. The rears will definitely need a minor roll, i'm not too sure about the fronts though. And yes, I already have coilovers, and RUCA's, so that's covered.

By the way, how good do you think it will look/flow with my stock body lowered S14 Zenki with kouki skirts, and zenki front lip?

jrbump
Car: Ford Grand Marquis

you have already decided you like them and now you are just looking for people to reaffirm your choice.

VIP style (and the worst of the VIP style wheels) do not belong on an S Chassis, unless you are just looking to hardpark. In that case, they look GREAT.

Jagstang

jrbump wrote:you have already decided you like them and now you are just looking for people to reaffirm your choice.

VIP style (and the worst of the VIP style wheels) do not belong on an S Chassis, unless you are just looking to hardpark. In that case, they look GREAT.
Well to be honest with you, I personally think it looks great on modified 240's. All of the pictures i've posted are of 240's slammed on them (and they're not even the same wheels). Also, they have aftermarket bumpers etc.

I'm asking you guys for opinions since my S14 only has OEM skirts and lip, and it isn't slammed either. I just don't know how it would look. I don't want to spend $1500 and end up realizing that I'll need to add aftermarket bumpers/skirts to make it go together.

I've been wrong many times in my life, and would like to get opinions to prevent a potentially hazardous wrong from occurring.

StryfeS13
Car: 1993 240sx

Those wheels are so baller. Just buy them.

pj
Car: 95 s14

why are you listening to these people. buy the wheels now.
i rocked eurolines and they were dope! and im going to do it again on my s14 as soon as i can.
those gulfs look dope and the size and offsets are great, dont let anyone tell you some s*** about vip styling ques dont belong on schassis...because its a load of s***.
do it.

Raz007
Car: 1996 240sx

Why don't you just take your car, a jack, and some tools, and install them on one side of your car? If I was buying something for that much, I'd expect any seller to let me test a side out.

Dazzla

I saw those wheels and passed. $1450 for isn't great they have curbage from the pics I think...and your looking at MINIMUM 250-300$ for new tires + install balancing and s***. $1700-1800 for those is not worth it...you can get way better s***

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

StryfeS13 wrote:Those wheels are so baller. Just buy them.
pj wrote:why are you listening to these people. buy the wheels now.
:werd:
They look great (for used wheels). They're proper sizes. They come with tires. No brainer. Just get your stance dailed in and the naysayers will eat their words.

pj

Dazzla your avatar is awesome. i want more pictures of that chick!

EnjoiNismo
Car: 93 240sx

simmode1 wrote:
StryfeS13 wrote:Those wheels are so baller. Just buy them.
pj wrote:why are you listening to these people. buy the wheels now.
:werd:
They look great (for used wheels). They're proper sizes. They come with tires. No brainer. Just get your stance dailed in and the naysayers will eat their words.
Very well said.

What coilovers do you have? Getting a nice stance with 18's is not as easy with a stock body.

S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

I agree with the guy that has 11 posts in six years. VIP wheels don't belong on s chassis, but if you like them go ahead.

nevertheless
Car: 1993 240sx hatch
1995 Nissan D21

buy them now.

GmFwd
Car: 1994 Beretta sleeper

Are you buying these for yourself or buying them to make nico people happy?

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks. If you like em, get em.

pj

infiniti_lineup wrote:VIP WHEELS DO NOT BELONG ON A 240SX
says who? i did it and so have tons of other guys to great result. its not even as if it's some new concept, option magazine was doing it back in the mid 90's, granted the level of 'flushness" and offsets were not quite what they are today but thats a given.
i say they do belong, of course i'll also say to each his own. they look good, have great offsets and diameter. they're heavy but theres a nice answer to that problem : make more horsepower.
wheels to wide? make more power
wheels to heavy? make more power.
in the end it's his decision, and if i had the money, i'd buy them out from under him in a second right now.
they would be good for my plans, slammed on Dmax coils with supermade aero + these wheels would be dooope

pj

infiniti_lineup wrote: Me
hahaha WHO? ...i can't see you down there..next to the anthill...from way up here...on top of my mountain of awesomeness...sippin grape coolaid with odin...conversing on how cool vip wheels are on s chassis. doing this> :spitout: everytime i read one of your posts.

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

pj wrote:
infiniti_lineup wrote:VIP WHEELS DO NOT BELONG ON A 240SX
says who? i did it and so have tons of other guys to great result. its not even as if it's some new concept, option magazine was doing it back in the mid 90's, granted the level of 'flushness" and offsets were not quite what they are today but thats a given.
i say they do belong, of course i'll also say to each his own. they look good, have great offsets and diameter. they're heavy but theres a nice answer to that problem : make more horsepower.
wheels to wide? make more power
wheels to heavy? make more power.
in the end it's his decision, and if i had the money, i'd buy them out from under him in a second right now.
they would be good for my plans, slammed on Dmax coils with supermade aero + these wheels would be dooope
Whats the point of making more power when you can't put any of it to the ground because your VIP stance requires you to have 7 million degrees of negative camber in the rear so you can clear your fenders with your 10 inch wide tires, of which only the innermost two inches actually touch the road. I mean to each his own but still, seems we're going backwards in our quest for performance here.

pj

SX APPEAL wrote: Whats the point of making more power when you can't put any of it to the ground because your VIP stance requires you to have 7 million degrees of negative camber in the rear so you can clear your fenders with your 10 inch wide tires, of which only the innermost two inches actually touch the road. I mean to each his own but still, seems we're going backwards in our quest for performance here.
not everyone is attempting to build a track car or time attack or drag car but i see your point that youve made.
ive never seen 7 million degrees of neg camber but it sounds crazy! :chuckle:
no but seriously, the wheels in question wont be THAT bad and if they were, i'd use overfenders...problem solved.
plus near everything made for these cars is adjustable now, so you can roll that insane stance all day then raise and adjust camber whenever you need to to some extent.
so my answer is adjustable suspension and overfenders, decent tires...power just got to the ground bro :yesnod
plus ive been having fun with infinity lineup

SX APPEAL
95 Maxima SE 5MT

pj wrote: not everyone is attempting to build a track car or time atttack or drag car but i see your point that youve made.
ive never seen 7 million degrees of neg camber but it sounds crazy! :chuckle:
no but seriously, the wheels in question wont be THAT bad and if they were, i'd use overfenders...problem solved.
plus near everything made for these cars is adjustable now, so you can roll that insane stance all day then raise and adjust camber whenever you need to to some extent.
so my answer is adjustable suspension and overfenders, decent tires...power just got to the ground bro :yesnod
plus ive been having fun with infinity lineup
ok maybe not 7 million :chuckle: But I've definitely seen 7-8 degrees of negative camber on some of these VIP S chassis and I think it looks ridiculous. I mean didn't we all make fun of the honda guys in high school because they put huge whale tail wings and outlandish body kits (parts that have no performance benefit at all, just look cool) calling them stupid ricers and what not and now we go and do the same thing to our 240's? Putting huge rims and insane alignments on these cars that look cool but totally spoil the performance and handling, how is that any different?

but then again, who am I to comment on style? (check car in sig :rotfl )

pj

infiniti_lineup wrote:
:ban:
lol how did i know you were going to resort to that.
i mean you could but why? ive been here since the begining of '05 lurked like a mofo and other than that been generally helpful when i can...even to the new guys.
so go ahead and ban, but itd be a silly move.
SX APPEAL wrote: they put huge whale tail wings and outlandish body kits
lol man i hear ya, but god i never thought that stuff was cool. i was more spoon-ish when it came to the honda thing way back when.
but i do like me some crazy a** s chassis, slammed n dished out. guilty pleasure? :chuckle:
but hey at least im not one of those who doesnt have a concept of functional design, thinking a boso'd out s13 can do all things well based on no facts at all other than "it looks cool". you build a car for what its used for if you are going to do it at that serious level.
to each his own
yeah i saw the sig but like all the in progress cars around here, no matter what state its in, it has potential.

SX APPEAL
95 Maxima SE 5MT

I'll drink to guilty pleasures...

btw infiniti_lineup, LMAO!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Those wheels are played out as all hell. Cereal.

Unless you're dropped, they'll look silly. And at $1500, you'll find others on down the line.

Impulse purchases rarely turn out well.... But it looks like you've already made up your mind, so why ask?

simmode1

SX APPEAL wrote:Whats the point of making more power when you can't put any of it to the ground because your VIP stance requires you to have 7 million degrees of negative camber in the rear so you can clear your fenders with your 10 inch wide tires, of which only the innermost two inches actually touch the road. I mean to each his own but still, seems we're going backwards in our quest for performance here.
:squint: I hope you're joking. The wheels in question are 18x9+18 in the front and 18x10+11 in the rear. Those are great and modest sizes. Not too extreme at all. If he wanted to, he could run 235 tires in the front and 255's in the rear without needing much negative camber at all... like 2 or 3 degrees with a roll.
infiniti_lineup wrote:Let me repeat:
VIP WHEELS DO NOT BELONG ON A 240SX
:chuckle:

SX APPEAL
95 Maxima SE 5MT

simmode1 wrote: :squint: I hope you're joking. The wheels in question are 18x9+18 in the front and 18x10+11 in the rear. Those are great and modest sizes. Not too extreme at all. If he wanted to, he could run 235 tires in the front and 255's in the rear without needing much negative camber at all... like 2 or 3 degrees with a roll.
Sorry, just the whole concept of deliberately putting your alignment out of spec so you can fit bigger wheels is beyond me... Especially when guys buy the adjustable arms so they can adjust FURTHER out of spec than what it was already. When I first lowered my S13 I didn't do anything to correct the alignment and it had about 2.5 degrees negative in the rear. Even with that "modest" camber I burned through rear tires in 10K miles. Guess I'm just not VIP Baller enough to pay for a new set of 255/35/18's every year. But I feel like I've made enough off topic posts in this thread for one night.

Jagstang, if you think they'll turn your car into a pantie-dropper, then go for it man :mike

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

simmode1 wrote:
infiniti_lineup wrote:Let me repeat:
VIP WHEELS DO NOT BELONG ON A 240SX
:chuckle:

:rotfl Nicely done.

Big difference tho - That car is modded out the arse. His car is a stock S14... and Gold Kranze Cerberus II's are quite a bit more baller than a simple monoblock design. :naughty:

You just made me want to go drive my car. :woot:

simmode1

^^^Greg, I love your vert, dude! I wanna see some updates! And plz fix the pics in the 'Airbag Installation' link!

I'd rather see the OP grab the wheels now since they are a decent deal and then select aero to compliment it and dial in a good stance when he gets the chance. Nothing says he has to put the wheels on right away. He could wait until he pulls it all together.
SX APPEAL wrote:
Sorry, just the whole concept of deliberately putting your alignment out of spec so you can fit bigger wheels is beyond me... Especially when guys buy the adjustable arms so they can adjust FURTHER out of spec than what it was already. When I first lowered my S13 I didn't do anything to correct the alignment and it had about 2.5 degrees negative in the rear. Even with that "modest" camber I burned through rear tires in 10K miles. Guess I'm just not VIP Baller enough to pay for a new set of 255/35/18's every year. But I feel like I've made enough off topic posts in this thread for one night.
"Didn't do anything the correct the alignment"? LOL You really shouldn't be talking then. I'd bet good money that it was out of spec toe that burned out your tires so fast and not the camber. Negative 3 degrees of camber is nothing really. And I certainly never mentioned slamming his car so low that he'd need adjustable arms.

S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

You might be able to overcome the power losses of heavy wheels, but you are still adding substantial unsprung mass wich results in poor handling.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”