E-1 Hitachi D406 vs J13 Hitachi D411-53

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Li'l Truckie
Car: 3 x '65 PL 320
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '62 PL 320 - parts :(
1 x '60 PLG-222
and many more Datsuns from 48hp to over 500hp

Hey there 320 fans,

Li’l Truckie making a few edits to the post up front as even I get confused sometimes.

Bear with me if you will. As I was researching your interchangeable parts question for Conner, I pulled out my 520 manual to verify condenser capacity. They are both the same, but will not work as they are constructed differently. E1 is inside the cap and the J13 is outside. I think the screw-connecting tab is different on both so you cannot put the J13 condenser in the E1's Hitachi distributor or the E1 condenser in the J13. They will be backwards on the E1, upside down on the J13, and the wires will not reach.

However, that is not all I discovered.

So here is what I did wrong. Based on the 320 manual I always thought the J13 distributor was manufactured by Mitsubishi as it strongly resemble the Mitsubishi distributor in the 320 manual (see schematics on Flickr). Well that is incorrect. The distributor on the J13 is in fact a Hitachi Model D411-53. The distributor model on the E1, in the pics posted by Conner, and the one pictured on the left in the photos is the Hitachi D406-01 (this I knew). As far as the Mitsubishi distributor on the E1, no change, I have never seen one. Parts manual says it exists; however, the repair manual makes absolutely no mention of the Mitsubishi distributor.

So other than mis-identify the J13’s Hitachi D411-53 for a Mitsubishi model everything remains the same. No change to any of the issues this thread is addressing, hard to find parts, misidentified parts, incorrect parts listing, and just how confusing this distributor thread really is, which I just proved. And absolutely no change to the objective – Identifying the correct parts and part numbers for the Hitachi D406-01 and where to get them.

Everything below has been updated and should be correct, so on with the show!

Li'l Truckie here and I am ready to tackle the ever-confusing Hitachi distributor project. For many PL-320 fans and early Datsun owners who have sedan's with the E or E-1 series engine this is a confusing topic and rightly so. Over the next couple of post we are going to rebuild the Hitachi D406-01 Distributor that is found in the Datsun E and E-1 Series Engine (note 1). With the amount of research we are conducting this will truly be a graduate level course in research, patients, and parts compatibility verification. So get ready for some heuristic learning with Li'l Truckie.

Pictured below are the Hitachi D406-1 from the E1 (now and forever on the left) and the Hitachi D411-53 from the J13 (now and forever on the right). Please note the particular shape of the distributor bodies. The Hitachi D406-1 is all steel and rounded off at the bottom, while the Hitachi D411-53 is white metal (die-cast zinc, or tootsie toy pot metal) that is straight with clearly defined steps in the outer body. Even though the Hitachi D411-53 distributor pictured is from a J13 the outer body is almost identical to that of the Mitsubishi for the E-1. So this is a quick way to determine which distributor you have. Again, more than like you have the Hitachi D406-1. If by chance you have the pictured Hitachi D411-53 distributor on your E-1, be advised this is not original, sorry.

I have also posted more pictures to my Flickr account and you can view them here -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/113742723@ ... 610710483/

Okay, so why is this Hitachi D411-53 distributor from the J13 in our project. Simple, its a parts issue. Many vendors on eBay and your local parts stores have misidentified Hitachi D411-53 parts as compatible with the Hitachi D406-01. They are not, period end of story. Okay, not quite the end of the story as we still have to discuss the parts issue. I am not putting down eBay vendors or your local parts stores; they do not know any better.

Case in point. Of the two auto parts stores I visited to order points, condenser, cap, and rotor in support of the project (proof of principle), both stores listed the Hitachi D411-53 rotor as the correct rotor for the Hitachi D406-01 Well that is just doesn't work.

Ahh...so you ask what about the correct rotor? I'm currently working this issue. With the help of the sale clerk, we looked at the pictures (yip, we looked at pictures) in the catalog and order 3 different rotors that looked close. These should be in Friday or Saturday. Yes, you can occasionally find the correct rotor on eBay, but one of the objectives of this thread is to correctly identify all necessary parts and part numbers so you can walk into your home town auto parts store and order everything you need. But we are not there yet. Okay, so you are tracking the rotor issue.

Distributor Cap - Ugh....Okay. NAPA does have the correct E-1 distributor cap listed in its online catalogue. Manufactured by Echlin, the part number is ECH, EP306. Relax, no need to hop in the car so fast. It's on back order and not available. I ask the clerk what "back order" means and he said he would make a few calls the next day. Kudos to the clerk for tracking this down and giving me an update, but after making some calls to higher, we still could not define what "back order" means.

Practicing what I preach I took the Echlin part number to O'Reilly's and they cross-referenced the part to a BorgWarner part # C501. Not so fast, relax. According to the sales clerk, I ordered the last one from some warehouse in Southern California. It should be here the middle of next week. So not looking good for a distributor cap.

Points and condenser - these should already be in and I just need to brave the weather and icy roads and get into KCKS and pick them up. Are they the right parts? We'll find out tomorrow around lunch.

So that's where we are at with this project. We have ordered the "last" distributor cap in the entire USofA, identified the wrong rotor (not our fault), but we're trying to find one, and we are waiting to pick up the points and condenser to verify they are the correct parts. So cross your fingers and if your 320 or E-1 engine runs leave it alone....it's not broke so don't worry about fixing it just yet.

Okay, give me a day or two and I'll strip down the Hitachi 406-01 distributor, paint it up all nice (if it warms up a little), and find the rebuild kit and other parts that you have already identified as missing from the pictured Hitachi 406-01distributor. I'll take some pics along the way, draw up a nice diagram on power point and not something on a used index card with smell good water soluble marker.

Thanks,
Li'l Truckie

Notes-
1- Per the parts manual the was both a Hitachi and Mitsubishi distributor for the E and E-1 Engine. However, I have never run across the Mitsubishi Distributor as picture in the parts manual in any 320 or early Datsun with the E-1 engine. If you have the E-1 with Mitsubishi Distributor please let us know. We would like to get some pics for future reference.

difrangia
Car: 1978 Datsun 620 'Longbed', 1964 NL320, 1961 FIAT 500D, 1964 Type 113 Beetle, 79 Ford Festiva

Truckie,
I also have a dist. cap on tenative order from Southern Cal. ordered per the NAPA sheets that you went me a couple weeks ago.

The radiator hoses from your leads are on the truk and cooking. New waterpump & t-stat also.

Steve

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Oh,....so you bought the last one NAPA has in the USofA :)

I ordered two online, so I'm curious to see if I get them. Store say "back order" and online has processed my order, hmm..... :confused:

I'm going to order another one from O'Reilly's once my one comes in to see what happens. Its a BorgWarner and will probably stop working for no reason at all...

I think I might work a thread of defunct Datsun parts manufacturers too.

Andy

Conner
Car: SRL31101633
1964 L320

Very good information in this thread. Here's what I'm working with in my 1964 L320 with the original E series engine:

Based on the smaller size of the rotor and the plug wired integrated into the cap I'm guessing it is the Hitachi D406-1.

Any thoughts on that conclusion?

What about points? Are they interchangeable? I'm guessing no.

Also, IF (and that's a big if yet to be proven) the J13 dizzy operates within the E-1 engine, would it be possible to partially modify the E-1 Hitachi distributor to be a hybrid that would be able to use the more commonly available J13 dizzy parts?

Conner
1964 L320

No problem. I saw your PM but I guess I don't have enough posts yet to respond. I do a lot of lurking.
Anyway, it looks like this thread is now a tail of two Hitachis. Keep the knowledge coming!
Thanks.

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Conner,

Roger, a Tale of Two Hitachi. Will get back on tonight. I'm in the basement sorting through parts and boxes.

320, 510, SR20DET....510, 320, SR20DET...trash...hmmm, :confused: ah... Austin Healey....320, 510, trash....dead mouse...

Andy

Conner
1964 L320

I did some research looking at distributor models and diagrams for British cars on the Moss Motors website. There are a bunch of different dizzies. But then I did some searching at RockAuto and found out that there were crossover part numbers for almost all of the early 60s MGAs, MGBs, and Midgets. The cap has side rather than top entry plug wires like my distributor cap and the rotor looks small--more the size of the E1 rotor in Truckie's pics than the J13 rotor.

And further, RockAuto currently has the Airtex parts on closeout. So I ordered a distributor cap (Airtex/Wells 5D1040, $6.65), rotor (Airtex/Wells 4P1083, $1.97), and points (Airtex/Wells 4R1187, $1.61). I'm ordering these now because they are on closeout and it is only around $10 plus shipping. I don't know whether they will fit the E1 dizzy and don't know when I will pull my distributor to check, but I thought I'd share the part numbers and will post up pics of the parts when they arrive.

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Conner,

Sorry the 5D1040 will not work. I've tried this one before and yes its a standard British cap for Austins, MGs and little Sprites and it just does not quite fit.

Think of the Datsun E-1 like Spinal Tap. Spinal Tap made their amp just one better, so not all of the parts from the amp that goes to 11 work on the standard amp that only goes to 10. There is no rhyme or reason for what they changed or left the same and we are all just as confused as Rob Reiner.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc[/youtube]

However, this part is the what you want, which I did not know they carried. This is listed for the '62 PL-320 and should work. Strange too is it is only on the '62 320 and no where else....just like NAPAs website, hmmm....

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # JH266 {#12301148, 2216230104, E357

The rotor they have listed for the '62 320 is for the D411 for the J13 and not the correct one for the E1, so this is incorrect. I'm pretty sure the MG rotor will work. I purchased the distributor rebuild kit for an Austin, but gave it to my older brother when I noticed the cap would not work and did not try the rotor.

For points, this ignition kit listed for the '62 looks like it will work
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 8T1009 {#11519} Wells

Airtex/Wells 4R1187, $1.61 this one should work. This is the rotor. Its Lucas, so I hope you like warm beer. I think you might have crossed the part number for the rotor and points

Airtex/Wells 4P1083, $1.97, sorry I do not think this set of points will work. Need to compare this set of points with this picture.

Again I would go with - AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 8T1009 {#11519} Wells

Can you go in and change your order? Sorry about this. I have feel your frustration as I have made these same timely and costly mistakes many times.

I would recommend you look at each year for the 320 and choose your parts this way. So look at '62 320, '63 320, '64 320, '65 320 and then might want to look at the Datsun 410, 310, and 312 with the E1 or 1200cc (1189cc) motor and each year. You will find that the parts listing is incomplete as the E1 in all of the models is the same, minus the carburetor which might be a one or two barrel Hitachi (one barrel) on the Nikki (2 barrel).

Okay, I just looked at all years, stay with the '62, its the most complete and the parts look to be correct.

For me Victoria British is only 30 minutes away and go there every Tuesday before my class at KSU. I call my order in for pickup at the City Service desk and Bob has the part waiting for me when I arrive. If the part does not work he puts it back. So no shipping or returning parts.

v/r
Andy

Conner
1964 L320

Thanks. I was able to cancel my order, so good news.

I tried to order the Standard cap (JH266) and added it to my cart but then a few minutes later told me it wasn't available. I'm wondering if they will get more or if that is it.

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Conner,

Glad you were able to cancel your order in time. I'm at a loss for why there are no distributor caps out there. Okay, I got the supply and demand piece. So far we are looking at three big auto supply business with no distributor caps - NAPA, O'Reilly's, and RockAuto. I'll stop by CARQUEST and AutoZone tomorrow, see what happens, and let you know. I have class Tuesday so I'll leave out a little early, stop by VB, and compare a few distributors, points, condensers, and rotors.

Let me know if you have any other specific request for VB as I can check on a few items if you would like.

v/r
Andy

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Well, Well,....Looks like we struck out again in trying to find a Distributor Cap. So much for trying to outsmart the salesperson behind the counter buy shopping online.

Dear Li'l Truckie,

Thank you for shopping on NAPAonline.com. We apologize for the delay in contacting you about your order. Unfortunately, the item you ordered is not available at this time. It is on factory back-order, and we do not have an estimated delivery date. Your order has been cancelled, and you will not be charged for the item.

We apologize for any inconvenience and again we thank you for shopping NAPAonline.com.

Ref:MSG5235975

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Hey there 320 Fans,

Just a quick update, even if the news is not the best. Okay, so over the last week I've run around KCKS and researched my fare share of automotive parts webpages and eCatalogues and of course back to the auto parts store for face to face confirmation.

I'm going to make one last phone call this morning/early afternoon on the Distributor Cap and give an update with what I have discovered.

Bottom line - not good and we will probably not meet our objective of buying parts at our local auto parts store for the Hitachi D406-01 distributor for the E series engine. Pick your favorite store, it makes no difference, the parts are not being manufactured.

Distributor Cap - out of production! I have checked with NAPA, BorgWarner, Standard, numerous supplies to Jobbers Parts Warehouse to include Federal Mogul - all with no luck. Cross-Reference of various part numbers at different auto parts store garners the same result - not available.

Points - same story as the distributor cap. NAPA list CS352, which I believe is the correct set of points, but not available. Again with cross-referenced at other parts stores, we get the same sad story - unavailable / out of production.

Condenser - One bit of good news, its available. Part number is EP 300 from NAPA's Echlin parts line.

Rotor - okay, this one I still have to confirm on my trucks. The rotor from a MGA 1500/1600 will not work - its too tall and when I spin the distributor shaft in my extra D406-01 distributor you can tell its just to tight to spin freely like the OE shorter rotors I have. So I'll head back to O'Reilly's and get the shorter rotor and try this one.

So here's the rotor issue. The OE type I have has the little alignment tab on the inside of the rotor right behind the rotor's brass contact. However, the too tall MGA rotor and both of the rotors we picked out from the photos at O'Reilly's have the alignment tab 180 degrees to the opposite side of the rotors contact arm. So will this work? Don't know, we'll give it a try today. But being 180 degrees off, I would say no this will not work.

Ah, yes. You ask about an OE type rotor. At this time an OE type rotor is not listed or at least the correct one. You see, Standard who makes ignition parts for many auto parts store, who in turn box these parts in there own house brand has the rotor from the Hitachi D411-53 listed at the correct rotor for the '62 Datsun 310 and we know this is incorrect.

So that's the story line on the Distributor Cap, Points, Condenser, and Rotor. Like I say let me make a few phone calls today to confirm a few last minute details and we will wrap up Part I of our Distributor Rebuild.

v/r
Li'l Truckie

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Okay there 320 fans,

Let's go ahead and wrap of Part I of our Hitachi E-1 D406 vs J13 D411 distributor rebuild. Obviously at this point we are not going to meet our objective of sourcing the necessary parts from one's local automotive parts store. So here is a quick review of our parts issues with a few updates.

Distributor Cap - Called Standard Automotive in Brooklyn, NY (718-729-4357) and they say they are producing the cap and that you only need to tell them (RockAuto and NAPA specifically) to special order the cap. Well, still no luck. The parts vendors I did call this past week say the part is unavailable, cannot be back ordered, and therefore will not take my order. Okay, makes since, so one last call to Standard tomorrow and I'll let you know how this goes.

Distributor Cap Part Numbers and manufacturer:
NAPA Echlin - EP 306
Standard - JH-266
BorgWarner - C501

Rotor - still working this one. What I learned from this one and yet to confirm, but it looks like many of the auto parts stores use the parts data base provide by the supplier, which at this time is Standard. So what this means is that if Standard has the part listed incorrectly or misidentified, well, so does every one else. Here's the link for the rotor from the '62 310, again the only Datsun by model and year that many parts venders list the rotor under:

http://www.standardbrand.com/online%20c ... ntent.aspx

And a quick screen capture -

So will a MG rotor work - I do not think so. The rotor from the MG is approximately 4mm taller, so once you clasp the locking springs from the distributor to the cap it's just too tight and the distributor does not spin as freely as it should. Second issue is the rotors alignment tab. The correct rotor for the E-1 has the tab on the contact side while the MG rotor has the tab on the opposite side of the contact. This means once you place the rotor on the distributor drive it is 180 degrees off. I do have another shorter rotor with the alignment tab opposite the contact, so I'll try this and let you know.

Part number - only able to find one from BorgWarner - CS-352 and of course its out of stock.

Points - absolutely no luck. I only have the one Import Car Parts from Dana Corporation out of Toledo, Ohio, part number 39-3011. This set of points are readily available through eBay vendors and works. If you go this route, buy more than just one set!

Condensor - the only part I could physically purchase - Part number from NAPA is Echlin EP-300.

Okay so where do we take this thread? Well, we are going to split it down the middle. We will continue with Part II of the E-1 Hitachi D406 tear down and rebuild. I will employ my son's help and we will work a parallel thread by fitting the J13's D411 distributor in the E-1. This is because, as we have found out, all parts for the D411 are available. Ah....I know what you are thinking. No problem, you see, NAPA sells a remanufactured D411or compatible distributor for the PL-520.

Part # NRD 48600 at $75.99
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0271588711

So for less than $125 you can install a complete new distributor/ignition system. Off the top of my head, I think the only part we need to change out is the Assembly Plate Fixing or Mounting Bracket from the D406 over to the D411. So look for this thread over the next few days.

In the mean time if you have any questions let me know and I'll run it to ground for you.

v/r,
Li'l Truckie

Conner
1964 L320

Thanks for all your work on this. Earlier this week I bought a Hitachi D411-53 J13 dizzy from a wrecker in Idaho with the plan to try to fit it to E1. So I will be interested to follow your progress.

I'll be interested to see how you fit the J13 distributor.

FYI Cardone offers a service to rebuild the J13 distributor on a rebuild and return basis (meaning you need to provide a core). It is Cardone part #31600 and listed as $62 from Rockauto.

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Thanks Conner,

I saw this one and went with the Napa part number as they do not require a core or at least after reading through the listing a couple of time I did not see/read that there was a core required.

I located my 520 ignition parts box in between set while lifting weights so my son and I will try it later this evening. I do not foresee any issues at this time.

Calling Standard in New York.

Andy

Conner
1964 L320

Here's a bit of an update from my end. I have in my possession a distributor that came off a J13 engine from a 1966 520 truck. I'm interested to know if and how this distributor will swap onto an E1 engine. I haven't tried yet. The update is that the Cardone rebuild on this dizzy which had been around $60 is now listed at Rockauto for $121. Ouch! Cardone #31-600. I checked online at several other parts stores and they list it cheaper but each one says it is out of stock or unavailable when you try to buy it online. I checked Napa, Autozone, and Advance Autoparts.

Also, the Standard JH266 distributor cap, which is listed in parts catalogs for the 1962 L320 truck, apparently came back into stock at some point, because Rockauto filled my order and sent me one. I have it on my desk here. More bad news. It does not fit onto my Hitachi D406-1 distributor which is on the E1 engine in my truck. It has the wire connections on top, which shouldn't be a problem. It appears to be the correct outer diameter to fit the 406-1, but doesn't have the correct internal diameter to click down onto the top of the dizzy. Even if it did, I don't think the hold down clips would stretch far enough to reach the tabs on this cap. I checked and it is an exact diameter fit for the J13 dizzy I have, but it wouldn't work there for a couple of reasons. The J13 dizzy has a tab on one side and a slot on the other that mate into the edges of the cap and this JH266 does not have the tab and slot to fit the dizzy. Also, the areas where the hold-down clip would slide over the cap are too high, meaning the clips don't slip over them and hold on the JH266 cap. In a pinch you could probably modify this JH266 cap to fit the J13 dizzy, but why would you want to given that these are nearly impossible to get and the stock J13 distributor caps are widely available from many manufacturers?

Finally, I've sourced a rebuilt electronic ignition Cardone distributor from a 1972 Nissan 620 truck (L20 engine, I believe). I paid the core charge to get this. My plan is to eventually swap the bottom end of one of the older distributors onto this to do the EI conversion. If I can use the bottom end of the J13 dizzy and make it fit and keep my 406-1 distributor unmolested I would prefer to do that. But first I need to be sure the J13 distributor can drop into the E1 and work. Caps and rotors are plentiful for the L20 dizzy and points obviously aren't needed. Ideally I would like to get my truck running with the points-style original dizzy before making this swap, though to make troubleshooting easier.

Conner
1964 L320

Sorry, the EI dizzy I have is from a 1979 620, not a 1972. The 72 was still points-style I believe.

deerio
Car: '63 L320

Hey guys any updates on the distributor? I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought this would be the best place to start.

I got a few parts as I start to do my tune-up:

CONDENSER:

ROTOR:

Still searching for a new cap if anyone has any updates on availability. The Standard Motor Products JH266 seems to be readily available but based on previous data on this thread, seems to be not the proper cap although it LOOKS like it.

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Deerio,

Yes, the Distributor Cap is pretty hard to come by. JH266 is a good part number and the picture is the of the correct cap, but it is unavailable, out of production, and no one will back order one for you because it out of production.

Best bet is to watch eBay. Look for this part number from Standard or EP 306 for Napa/Echlin. Kem also made a distributor, but I do not know the part number. I simply type in Kem distributor and look for the picture.

Andy

deerio
Car: '63 L320

Andy, are you certain the JH266 is good to go for the D406? Reading the last post made by Conner says it did not fit:

"Also, the Standard JH266 distributor cap, which is listed in parts catalogs for the 1962 L320 truck, apparently came back into stock at some point, because Rockauto filled my order and sent me one. I have it on my desk here. More bad news. It does not fit onto my Hitachi D406-1 distributor which is on the E1 engine in my truck. It has the wire connections on top, which shouldn't be a problem. It appears to be the correct outer diameter to fit the 406-1, but doesn't have the correct internal diameter to click down onto the top of the dizzy. Even if it did, I don't think the hold down clips would stretch far enough to reach the tabs on this cap. I checked and it is an exact diameter fit for the J13 dizzy I have, but it wouldn't work there for a couple of reasons. The J13 dizzy has a tab on one side and a slot on the other that mate into the edges of the cap and this JH266 does not have the tab and slot to fit the dizzy. Also, the areas where the hold-down clip would slide over the cap are too high, meaning the clips don't slip over them and hold on the JH266 cap. In a pinch you could probably modify this JH266 cap to fit the J13 dizzy, but why would you want to given that these are nearly impossible to get and the stock J13 distributor caps are widely available from many manufacturers? "

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Deerio,

Per the picture from Summit Racing it looks like the correct one. However, I'd go with Conner as this is probably the wrong part number for the picture or the wrong picture for the correct part number for the J13 distributor. I had the same issue with the rotor - rotor was listed for the D406/E1 and it turned out to be a rotor for the J13.

Here's the link to Summit Racing. So either way is probably not the correct part #.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-jh266.

Let me give the Standard a call. They are in the Bronx or Long Island.

Andy

Return to “Datsun 320”