History of the Cube - Not as new as it looks!

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

In 1998, Nissan introduced the original Cube, an aptly named box-on-wheels, to minor consumer interest. Perhaps, like h0m0 erectus, the Cube was simply ahead of its time. But times change, and so did the Cube. In 2002, an all-new second generation Nissan Cube was introduced in the Japanese market. More spacious inside, more glass outside, more power under the hood and, more importantly, a few more angles and curved surface details added to its compact, slab-sided exterior. Quintessentially Japanese, this new Cube took Tokyo by storm. A pocket-sized fun-and-function cocktail mixing the charm of Godzilla and the wit of Mothra, buyers were smitten. Like the Nissan GT-R before it, the Nissan Cube soon found an audience outside of Japan – not in person, but through its exposure in fashion and automotive magazines, videos and on the Web. Reboot to today, more than 10 years since its original appearance, and the Nissan Cube is ready to meet the world in person, coming to America in spring 2009 in an all-new, dramatically rethought third generation design that is clever, quirky, witty, fun and uniquely functional. And still totally square.

More than just unique geometry, however, the new 2009 Nissan Cube is also conceived as a totally different take on an automobile – a car that doesn’t want to be defined as car. “With its unique blend of fashion and function, Cube imagines a life less ordinary,” said Al Castignetti, vice president, Sales, Nissan Division, Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA). “Cube is as much of a Mobile Device as it is an automobile, something that enhances life like people’s digital devices do. Cube is a vehicle that people of all ages can fall in love with, even when they don’t love cars.”

Otto.

I remember when I was younger playing Gran Turismo and always thinking how cool the cube was and wishing we had something like that over here. Now in 2009 we finally have it!

Paul79UF
Car: 2011 Nissan Cube

I was amazed that the first Cube came out so long ago when I started looking into buying one.

Stuff like that makes me want to go visit Japan to get a sneak peek at all their cutting edge gear.

TurboSauce
Car: 2006 G35 coupe, 2018 Mazda CX-9

holy gravedigging spam

adem9438

If you have cube specific parts to buy or sell, this is place to list them. This will keep content within the forum better organized and provide a focal point for better exposure to all FS (For Sale) and WTB (Want to Buy) threads.

Return to “Cube Forum”