High price 240SX's and datsun's

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Pento240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1981 Datsun 210 Deluxe, 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima Deluxe and 1999 Infiniti Q45t.

I been looking for another S14 and finding out that they are stupid expensive. For example stock beat up, auto, 4 lug and salvage title S14 going for $6500 I am like WTF, has 240sx been going up again or what? I have also seen some S13 for $3500 to $6000, not to forget almost any Datsun is on that boat. Now do you believe that the price people are asking is fair? Because in my opinion they are asking too much for some of them specially in the condition they are. Just wanted to rant a little.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Totally get it. My buddy Jason and I have this conversation at least once a month.

Let's face it, we're getting old. :) When my '73 Z sold for $53k, there were people freaking out, saying it was 10x what it's 'worth,' and generally whining and complaining.

The reality is, the S-chassis are a collectible commodity, and we can b**** about it until we're blue in the face...

The value of anything is [I've said this way too many times] EXACTLY, to the penny, what someone just paid for it. Not 'asking price', not KBB, not some clown on the internet's opinion. It's worth whatever it just sold for.

So, throw some offers out there. Let's be cautious not to use the word "fair." I want top dollar for my car, and you want to get it for a dollar. Somewhere in the middle is a price we can agree on. You just have to find that number.

If someone wants $6500 for their clapped-out S14, maybe it'll sit for a month. That's when you pop in with your $3k offer and explain, professionally, that if it were worth $6500, it'd be sold already. :)

Ultimately, you have to be able to smile, say thanks, and walk away - Sellers are often just as clueless as buyers.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

This^ It's pretty much supply vs demand. And thanks to the drifting community, younger owners, and rust for destroying so many of them, prices have gone up a bit. As Greg noted, asking price and sold price are very different things. In addition, getting higher prices for what was generally perceived as an ordinary car for so long, can require more time and effort to accomplish. That raises the glaring question, is the extra time/effort worth it? There is no right/answer. As a buyer, I suggest offering them a reasonable price even their initial asking price is too high. You never know.

That said, I kinda like that 240SX prices are rising at bit (oh sorry: "S13/S14") despite no longer having mine. I feel like I took one for the team by enduring years of snarky comments, including "it sucks because it needs more power that only an LS1 or SR20 swap can solve", being called a "rolling chicane" at the track( though i kinda liked that one), being scolded about it being a sporty coupe, not a sports car, (ok by me as it cost less to insure), the weekly "hey dude, do ya' drift it?, where's your duct tape and zipties?", and, of course, criticism for keeping it stock (primarily a DD, though it got used on track occasionally), Fast forward to now, and I feel a little bit of vindication about the prices, especially for unmodified, original ones. Hopefully the same will happen soon to the 350Z. (ahem) ;)

Pento240sx. Be patient, I'm sure you'll find one that fits your criteria . There are still reasonably priced ones out there with rational sellers, including some original owner examples. One thought regarding those original owner gems. Several belong to older non-enthusiast folks that might not use the most up to date technology to advertise them. (eg newspapers, autoshopper, stuff like that might be worth checking out) Just a thought from an old fart. Good luck.

Pento240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1981 Datsun 210 Deluxe, 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima Deluxe and 1999 Infiniti Q45t.

Yea I totally get it. I just have not been on the market for a S-Chassis in a while and was surprise on how expensive they have gotten. I know as long is there a demand, prices will still be going up. Hopefully I find one that is at a respectable price.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

makes me sick that I sold my old 240Z for $1500 20 years ago.

Regarding a 240SX....when's the last time you saw a nice one on the road? Hell, when's the last time you saw one at all? Around here they were all beat to death by the idiots who put the short, wide tires on them, and slammed them down so the camber was all out of whack.....

Return to “General Chat”