High power mods to the J30!

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

1993TanJ30 wrote:Nope didn't call him yet. I was hoping to find someone who actually dropped the TT motor in. But he probably will have alot of input either way. I'll give him a call tonight, and see what he thinks about the whole thing...

So he dropped the 4.1L V8 in a J30 right?

Thanks.
Finding said person will probably be next to impossible.. im telling you, slim is your best bet... PICK his brain and the report back...

BTW, he put a twin tubo VH45DE in a Z32.

1993TanJ30
Car: 1993 J30

TTVH45DE!?

Into a 300ZX? Are you serious... That must've put out at least 330HP or something, right?

Any links or anything? I'll definately give him a call. I don't know - it just seems like if it wasn't THAT hard to do the swap, more people would have done it. The fact there is "no one" who's actually successfully done it, kind of scares me away from the whole thing.

I don't mind some fabrication, and putting in the time. I just don't want to take a perfectly good running J30, and end up with sketched out car thats unreliable, pieced together, etc.

Thanks though, I'll report back after I speak with him!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

1993TanJ30 wrote:TTVH45DE!?

Into a 300ZX? Are you serious... That must've put out at least 330HP or something, right?

Any links or anything? I'll definately give him a call. I don't know - it just seems like if it wasn't THAT hard to do the swap, more people would have done it. The fact there is "no one" who's actually successfully done it, kind of scares me away from the whole thing.

I don't mind some fabrication, and putting in the time. I just don't want to take a perfectly good running J30, and end up with sketched out car thats unreliable, pieced together, etc.

Thanks though, I'll report back after I speak with him!
More HP than that..

And there HAS BEEN someone who had done it..... but my guess is we wont be able to get in contact with him.....

diamond
Car: Wife's Daily driver is J30 , 58 Cheby Sport Sedan Lowrider is my style .

oh man nice thread..just one thing i noticed.4.08 gears arent going to be steep enough.cars already 3.90 something like that i forget,lol...436 is the deal.put ya 10 over,1 mile every ten added to milage on od.redid mine about 40 k ago.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Where do you get the 4.36?

diamond

nissan sport is were the shop said they got them.didnt tell me where.darn.

1993TanJ30

If we could find out more about this 4.36 setup, I'd really appreciate it...

Did you say for every 10 miles you put on the car, only 1 miles registers on the odometer?

Let me know, call the shop! Get me this info!

Thanks!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Man have you called SLIM yet???

Id personally rather see you increase the power ebfore you started messing with the final drive..... With nitrous your not gonna want that...!!!!

1993TanJ30

I have not contacted Slim yet. I don't want to waste his time... I looked into it with a friend, the guy who'd be helping me with all my work. He has built numerous sub-11sec cars, and knows his stuff.

After researching, it looks like it's not a straight drop-in. He told me I'd better off keeping the car how it is. At first, he was all for it, and started researching - then came to the conclusion there isn't enough info out there, and it would get quite expensive.

The entire swap, all said in done would probably be around $5000 or so. This is a little much, for the same price I could purchase another Talon, and be running 12s...

If there was more documentation, I'd be down. However, custom mounts, custom headers/exhuast, tranny situation (will it hold?), rear end (will it hold?), electrical, etc.

Just not feasible - 25+ HRS labor, $5000 - for a 280HP RWD Infiniti... That's when I'll purchase a Q45

I hope someone out there attempts it though, would be a fun car to drive.

daltonnnn
Car: 1993 Infiniti j30

I don't think it will take up that much time and money to do the swap. The two motors are the same, minus the turbo setup. Unless your friend is factoring in downpipe, to exhaust, to intercooler and intake setup, yeah, it might take a little longer. But all in all, it should be a direct bolt it. I have no personal experience with the j's, but it looks like there is more room than the z32. so you just use the j mounts if they are different and the motor will drop right in.

1993TanJ30

Yeah - the $5000 covered EVERYTHING.

I don't want to short-estimate myself, and not have the cash to finish a project. $5K covers your intercooler setup, exhuast setup, etc - the COMPLETE job...

Why do research, if your going to leave out things you need? I would say $5000/25HRS labor is a really good estimate.

Thats from initial motor pull, to driving down the street in your J30TT

diamond

if you drive 100 miles it reads 110.for every ten and 1 mile.just find a shop that does infiniti's..they should be able to help..find the best place you can find.they got to be put together and takin apart a few times.i did all bearings and stuff to while out.they were good but wth.i thionk i spent about 1250.00 1400.00.something like that.suprer glad i did mine.way different car.completeally.lol.i tell ya ,it will do alot more all around than a bottle.shifts less.much easier to get around.cruise control works at 25,lol.

1993TanJ30

Sounds good, thanks for the info!

1993TanJ30

Ok well here's what I came up with off the top of my head, as far as whats required to swap in the turbo motor. They'll be ALOT more than whats below, but this is just to get an estimate as far as the "big ticket" items:

Motor ($2200 shipped) http://www.jspecautosports.com...id=49Intercooler w/custom piping ($1000)BOV ($200)Headers, custom exhaust ($1000)Fuel pump ($150)Couple guages (Boost, EGT, Oil Press) ($250)Misc ($500)

Total from above: $5300

Other areas of concern:

Rear end (see below)ECU (see below)Driveshaft (see below)

Questions:

1) Can you use the ECU from the VG30DETT? I wasn't sure if it'd work in a J30, I know the J30 has a lot more toys than a 300ZX... The engine swap kit comes with an ECU - what would you need to do?

2) Would the rear end in the J30 stand up to 300HP on the regular?

3) Any difference in the driveshaft, would this be a problem? Figured it'd be the same, just want to make sure...

I wouldn't attempt the 5 speed swap, just too much fabrication for me... I don't know, just thinking about how nice it'd be to have a J with 300lbs of TQ Any input?

NOTE: Assuming the above, you would have two things you could sell, to get some cash towards this project: The 300ZX 5 speed tranny, which comes with the motor above, and the VG30DE (NT) from your J30 - I think between those two items, you could probably recover $700 or so...

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

i thikn your estimate is maybe a little too high actually...

You definitely can use the tt ECU because it comes with the wiring harness... worst case, just swap out the wiring harnesses (really not that hard once your in there) and your good to go...

The tt pump and the Q45 fuel pump are the same...

the J30 has the R230 I think... either way, just swap them out if you dont like it. I honestly think the J30 rear end will be just fine, but you can always swap in a TT rear end or even a Q45 rear end....

The driveshaft should be the same beacuse your not changing the position of the tranny....

I really dont think the 5 speed swap would be that big of a deal on the J30 honestly.. Once the engine is out of the car, you open up a whole new world of opportunities.... All you need is a custom driveshaft, and you can have one on the car for $500...

Unless your doing a simple bolt on mod, assume no money can be made back... just dont plan on it because that money you made back will have to be spent on something else....

i just wonder how close the exhaust is going to be?

1993TanJ30

Well I still think I'm all set with the 5 speed swap - I don't really want to be shifting through the gears in my J30 - I'd like to just punch the gas, and let her go by herself...

It'd be alright to run the 5 speed, but I mean fabricating the clutch setup, custom driveshaft - all sounds extremely involved to me, not sure if a simple $500 and a couple hours would take care of it - but then again I've never done one

Not sure about the exhuast - thats probably one of my smallest concerns... What really gets me thinking is the electrical, running intercooler piping, mounting cooler, etc etc.

We need your boy SLIM to stop by!

So if I have $5000 cash - you going to help me out or what Wes?! I'll supply the CASH, and the mint condition J30. I have absolutely no where to work - as told before, my friend who has a shop abandoned the idea long ago...

Me, you, and Slim - we should get this project underway... I have two weeks paid vacation coming up, and nice FAT bonus check in about a month and a half...

I really want to do this! Lets get it going already!!!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

First thing you dont have to fabricate anything for the MT!!! its all bolt - in.. the clutch works, all you have to do (the hard part really) is mount the pedal and the cylinders as well..... (slave and master).. again, driveshaft shop can make you one for $500 and itll be real good.... if you dont want a manual, i cant really say anything to that!!!! theres plenty of aftermarket for the RE tranny

the electrical side of things shouldnt be too bad I dont think... I mean, you get the wiring harness and your good to go.. I honestly think that if the stock tt manifolds dont fit in the J (iffy at best, i wish i could take some measurements) then we are in really deep ****... i mean its not the end of the world but it aint gonna be fun to make custom manifolds... I HOPE theyres enough clearance in there for it...

I think we're on 2 different pages here... What you think is hard I think is easy and vice versa...

did you call slim yet and ask him?

1993TanJ30

Nah I haven't contacted Slim...

I don't want to waste his time unless I'm definately going to do this...

I'd stick with the A/T - keep this simple as possible!

Ok so the problem we need to look into is the turbo manifolds - if they don't fit, then I'm not going to pursue this anymore, fabricating those would be quite expensive, and take some time.

We need to get some 300ZX guys to measure up some stuff, and I need to take some measurements on my J30...

Hmmm... Anyone you know have a 300ZX, with stock manifold who could take some measurements?

This is a huge road block if they don't fit.

Well I'm waiting for Slim to stop by, and shed some light - maybe he'll have some info...?

Thanks man, any other areas of concern come to mind?

You seem pretty sure about the electrical, so I'll take your word that in that area we're OK.

I need to take some measurements and compare them with a 300ZX owner! Where are you guys!? Haha, thanks for all your help.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

You know i bet if you posted in our Z forum, or somewhere around there, i bet you could find someone who has a Z car in your area that would allow you to have your J and the Z on stands side by side... Be best to find a N/A Z because at this point thats what we're comparing..... take some comparision pictures.....

thats where id start...

zeroforum?id=61

1993TanJ30

Ok, well I need to know what to look for - can I see from above, or is it all below? I honestly haven't gotten too involved with my J30 yet...

I have seen a few people with 300ZX N/T in my area, I'll pull one of those guys over...

I thought I needed to see a TT 300ZX though - and see what the manifolds look like, no?

Let me know, thanks...

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

1993TanJ30 wrote: I thought I needed to see a TT 300ZX though - and see what the manifolds look like, no?
Duh

1993TanJ30

Then whats this about!?

"Be best to find a N/A Z because at this point thats what we're comparing..... "

lol that got me confused! Thanks Wes!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

All im saying is for preliminary inspection, you need to see how the tt and N/A differ.... I would try finding a N/A first, then you can look how that and the tt differ.. If the tt manifolds have less clearance than the NA, and the J30 has less clearance than the NA, then logic would tell you that the tt's manifolds wont fit...

so thats why im saying find an N/A, because if you can compare the measurements with that and they wont work, then you can call it quits... Either way, you can find either and have a rough enough idea..

The engine is so packed in there that I dont think you will be able to tell anything from the top, youd wnat to go from the bottom.. Id want to see where the turbos are located as well....

I think a lot of these questions can be answered by slim when i call him later this week.

daltonnnn

When I looked into a tt compared to the j, the j looked like it had more room. I did not measure to make sure, but it looks like the j had more side engine room. If someone is going to measure it, do it so we can find out.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Hmm..... Thats good information... Does anyone know if the Zs have a LOT of extra room...?

1993TanJ30

I just put some guy with a TT 300ZX on my buddy list (AIM) and he seems to know his stuff (via his posting) and has a badass 300ZX TT - so hopefully I'll talk with him soon.

I see what your saying Wes I need to find ANY 300ZX at this point to get some more information!

Good info about there being more room in the J30's engine bay. However, I think one thing which differs - in a negative way is the location of the strut towers - I think they interfere more on the J, than the 300ZX, however I may be mistaken.

SLIM: Please let him know about this thread when you talk to him Wes, I think he'll definately have some answers for us, and some insight as to whats involved/costs/etc!

Tell him we need his help big time over here if there is ever going to be a J30 TT

Thanks for all the help!

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

1993TanJ30 wrote:I just put some guy with a TT 300ZX on my buddy list (AIM) and he seems to know his stuff (via his posting) and has a badass 300ZX TT - so hopefully I'll talk with him soon.

I see what your saying Wes I need to find ANY 300ZX at this point to get some more information!

Good info about there being more room in the J30's engine bay. However, I think one thing which differs - in a negative way is the location of the strut towers - I think they interfere more on the J, than the 300ZX, however I may be mistaken.

SLIM: Please let him know about this thread when you talk to him Wes, I think he'll definately have some answers for us, and some insight as to whats involved/costs/etc!

Tell him we need his help big time over here if there is ever going to be a J30 TT

Thanks for all the help!
You are correct about the strut towers. I saw slim post not to long ago on the Q forum.

Your J wont be the first TT. I believe there was a guy on here who bought a fairlady tt clip from japan and did the swap in his J. Try to find out about this.

daltonnnn

Its true that the strut towers on the j sit in the middle. The z strut towers sit almost to the back of the motor. The only problem I see of this is that the exhaust will be a little bit longer. Other than that, just use the stock J motor mounts to be safe so you don't have to take the motor out again. Other than that, the motors are identical, minus the turbo setup. Also, the oil pan and pickups have to be changed to the stock J one because of the cross member setup.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

daltonnnn wrote:Its true that the strut towers on the j sit in the middle. The z strut towers sit almost to the back of the motor. The only problem I see of this is that the exhaust will be a little bit longer. Other than that, just use the stock J motor mounts to be safe so you don't have to take the motor out again. Other than that, the motors are identical, minus the turbo setup. Also, the oil pan and pickups have to be changed to the stock J one because of the cross member setup.
Good info....!!!! I didnt even think about that!

1993TanJ30

Good info, thanks!!!

I like the constructive info the last few posts have contained, great stuff - thanks! Keep it coming!

Hey I might not be the 1st, but I'll be one of the only few I've never see a picture of a TT J30 - so therefore, how do we know one exists!?

I mean, if they were to post anywhere - why not NICO? I'd be suprised if there are more than 5-6 TT J30's in the US, thats rare enough for my needs!

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. I'd love to do this swap. If I do get the chance to, I'll document every step of the way, and post it up here in the J30 forum, with details, prices, etc.

If the exhuast is our biggest concern, then I'M GAME

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”