High pitch whistle sound

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
denierlexiese
Car: 350z 2006

When driving at speed down the highway, or on a local road at 35mph - 40 mph. I get a high pitch whistle from time-to-time. It sounds like air against rubber. I can't figure out a pattern of when the noise occurs. Sometimes it happens once every two weeks. Sometimes it happens once a day.

Anyone have any ideas? I wish i had a clearer diagnostic. Sorry!!!

2006 6-speed manual, with 88k miles on it Interlagos Fire Metallic.

Thanks!!!

cincysilvias14
Car: 2008 350z touring
2004 350z enthusiast

i have a 2008 that does the same thing... definitely keeping my eye on it? hows your oil pressure?

Archangele
Car: 2004 350Z, 2014 Q60S

Hi,

I have an 04 350Z with a manual trans and mine has a faint high pitched whine at speeds between 55 and 65 mph.
It goes away when I push the clutch in and just coast at those speeds. I was told it is just a gear whine from the
transmission, which I believe is the case for me. I changed my transmission fluid to Royal Purple and the whine is a little quieter.
I bought this car with 55k miles on it and it has done this since I have owned it. It now has 105K on it. So far
no issues with wheel bearings, the drive train or trannie. Now the engine is another story. Oil leaks, timing chain and tensioner,
water pump, O2 sensors. Seems to never end with that V6. But the thing does always start and has run reasonably well. It is the rattliest sounding
engine I have ever owned, but I am told this engine is just that way.
I do know that if the timing chain tensioner and guides go bunk on you, one sign can be a high pitched whine from the front of
the engine that can also be heard inside the car. I never experienced that. My issue was the horrendous clatter at start up which
got progressively worse till I finally replaced all the stuff under the timing cover.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Sorry you've got a problem but I'm glad you found us!

You mention the 55-65 mph speed, is that regardless of the gear you're in? I'm interested to know if you can hear the same whine in a different gear but during a similar rpm range.

Welcome to NICO! :badger

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”