High Horsepower Automatic

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Lord Umoja
Car: 1993 240SX 'Vert

High Horsepower Automatic

Postby Lord Umoja » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:37 pm

I have tried to do some research on the topic but have come up short.

I am currently in a situation that I would like to either attempt to rebuild my long sold KA-T or just generally upgrade the power of the KA in my car. My issue is that my wife is handicapped but loves driving the 240. She can drive stick but it is extremely painful and tiring for her so a manual swap is out of the question.

So the meat of my post is this: Are there any other Nissan automatic transmissions that bolt up to the KA and can handle large amounts of horsepower? If not, are there any companies that offer upgrade kits for the stock automatic (like LenTech for fords) that would help support higher horsepower.

Thank you for your help on this. The transmission in Lynn car is starting to show issues and I'm honestly worried about just an exhaust and intake at this point being the straw that broke the camel's back.

Lord Umoja

Re: High Horsepower Automatic

Postby Lord Umoja » Fri May 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Anyone? Trying to find a solution that satasfies my driving and the fact that my wife is handicapped.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Postby centralcoaster33 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:17 pm

I think the stock auto is pretty tough. I wonder if it's the same as the SR20DET transmission, which is obviously boosted from the factory. For the manuals, the main difference is the bell-housing and the internals are the same. So, I wonder/ hope that the same could be said for the automatics. Anyway, we have a sometimes overlooked resource here called Articles. Here's some links to a couple and you'll notice on the bottom of each article are more links (in red) that lead to similar topics!

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/turboc ... 240sx.html
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan ... sions.html

Maybe you just need a torque converter, maybe you'll want a valve job and a rebuild, maybe add a tranny cooler. Sounds like you're simply running a KA24E (or is it DE?). Power would be maybe ballpark 200HP? I think you'd be fine with the tranny you have.

Ooh, I always thought this article was interesting, maybe you will also.
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/240sxp ... rsion.html

Lord Umoja

Postby Lord Umoja » Wed May 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Currently the car is running a KA24DE of dubious heritage the end goal would be to re-create my previous KA-T project and put that in the car which would be in the 300-400hp range. I honestly have no clue what it would produce as I got various estimates from different groups as I built it up.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Postby centralcoaster33 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Well, a dyno tune will shed some brighter light on that speculation. Did you ever finish that engine? How long until you have the new engine updated like that? Are you doing a bunch of drag strip launches with the transmission? That could be useful information. Anyway, as you wait and design, maybe you could get the FSM for the Silvia and the 240sx. Look at the automatic transmission chapters for each. Compare the internals and descriptions and try to determine if there are differences beyond the bell-housing. That data could be useful for ballparking potential power handling of either as well as swapability.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”