High compression VG30E pistons?

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
Russell84

I'm trying to figure out what all it's going to take to rebuild my VG30E to run higher compression. I believe stock is 9:1, correct? Does anyone know of any pistons that would raise this closer to the 11:1 mark? I'll also be replacing cams and lifters, as well as refinishing the crankshaft and resurfacing the heads. I already have headers and exhuast, though I'll probably get a different cat-back after the re-build.

Does Nismo make high compression pistons for these engines? I haven't been able to locate any yet.

Syntax360
Car: 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

Sorry, but all i've seen are "higher" compression pistons designed for the VG30ET and they were like 8.2:1. Looks like if you want higher, your going to have to get creative :-(.

Russell84

Actually, I've been looking at the bore and stroke figures for the VG30E compared to the VG30DE and it looks like if I bore mine over 0.020" I can use 10.5:1 VG30DE pistons. There is plenty of room for that small bit of overbore, and the stroke is the same between the two engines, I believe.

Syntax360
Car: 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

excellent - this is for the pathfinder, no?

Russell84

Yeah, this is for the Pathfinder. Gotta squeeze some more power out of my engine, preferably in the low-end, which is where off-roading needs it.

I emailed a performance shop in Houston to ask them about this and they approved my list of upgrades. Cams (NISMO) and lifters, pistons, rebalancing and finishing the crankshaft, port matching/polishing. That 10.5:1 compression should boost me up to the 200hp and 220ish lb/ft torque figures I'm looking for.

Anyone have estimates for cost on something like this? I plan on doing everything myself except for the machining work (boring, refinishing/balancing, and port matching), so it's just parts and then labor for the machining I listed above. I was thinking around the $2k mark. Anyone have a more educated guess?Cams and lifters: ~$600Pistons: ~$500-600

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”