High compression A14/15 head

Here you'll find topics regarding the Datsun B210, 310, 610, 710, 810, 1200, and lots of other models - All are welcome!
EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

I have a cracked head on my 210 so I just bought a new one off of ebay. Here's my question:

The seller showed me a picture because he had 2 different heads. One was a low compression head and one was high compression. He told me to take my pic, as he wasn't sure which one I needed. I guess the low compression head (I tried picturing in my head what mine looks like off the car, and I *think* it is the low compression one).

Well anyway, he is going to send me the low compression one, but I wanted to know if anybody knows of a model year or production date that it was changed at? He advertised the heads as '75-'82 1.4L Nissan heads. I have an A15 with production date 3/81. I called the dealer and they told me the A14 and A15 part numbers for the heads are the same.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Ok, so anyway, I got my new head and took my old one off today. I've got a problem:

It seems that the new head and current head are different. I emailed the guy I bought it from and he sent me a pic of the "high compression" head, but that's not mine either.

Here's the deal:

The two heads look exactly the same except for the combustion chamber volume. My old head has the valves recessed into the head about 1/2". The new head's valves aren't recessed hardly at all, and are almost flat with the bottom of the head with the valvesprings uncompressed.

I bolted the new head down using the old headgasket, and put the rocker arms on. However, I did NOT adjust the valves, as I was just checking relative clearance as I turned the motor over by hand. It feels like it's hitting the valves against the pistons.

Do I need to adjust the valves to measure this properly? I'm going to try to clean everything up and put some paint or something on the valves to see if and where they are hitting the pistons, but I will wait till tommorrow to do so.

Does anybody know why my head is different? Was there a casting change or something with a certain production date? I need any help you guys can give me. I really don't know what to do if I check tommorrow and it truly is hitting.

I wanted to compare valve stem lengths, because spec shows only one size, 3.93 in. However, they appear to be different lengths on the two heads. But I couldn't find my valve spring compressor, so I couldn't pull them out of the head. Mabye I will find it tommorrow.

Return to “Other Datsun Cars”