SR - High altitude tuning?

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
hokiruu
Car: 2012 INFINITI M37X Platinum Graphite

'95 240sx/s14 SR20DET (in 2000) SOLD

I live at very high altitude, which is undesireable for performance. Up here in Santa Fe we are at about 7,000 ft. Since the air is thinner, exactly how does this affect a/f and boost? Do we run leaner up here because the air contains less oxygen? If anyone has any suggestions for things I can do to compensate for this or precautions I can take, I would greatly appreciate it.

BuudWeizErr

If you had less air and the same fuel, you would run rich. Good luck with that, getting it over 200HP.

You're going to tune it the same way as you would here, get a wideband o2. But everything will be dialed back. You'll be kicking some *** when you get down to good sea levels though.

jacob360
Car: 2 S13 Coupes

Engines that have turbos are less affected by altitude changes because they build pressure above atmospheric. The reason the air is thinner at higher altitudes is because atmospheric pressure is lower. If you're boosting, the turbo takes care of that problem, for the most part.

Just get it tuned right. It might lag at the bottom end, but once you're boosting, it's not as bad. Contact a performance shop in Colorado (Denver maybe) to see if they can give you some help.

PEACE

hokiruu
Car: 2012 INFINITI M37X Platinum Graphite

'95 240sx/s14 SR20DET (in 2000) SOLD

Thanks guys... I'll see what I can do.

Return to “Engine Tuning”