HID Morimoto Relay Harness - Retrofit source . AWGD8 pics

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

Last edited by AWGD8 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AWGD8

Last edited by AWGD8 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AWGD8

Just an FYI, this is a standard length HID relay harness from Retrofitsource.com.
Perfect for the Morimoto HID. Just double check each connector before installing.
Check Morimoto ballast connector and see if it properly matches with the relay harness connectors. Also, the OEM headlight connector vs the relay harness. --->Mine was flipped in reverse. This is pretty easy to install. It took me longer the first time bec. I wanted a cleaner look. =)

ppan76
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35 Journey
-Premium /Nav

Thanks so much!!. will try to do the same this weekend.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

AWGD8 - If you want the plastic cover for the positive terminal to sit flat, you can cut out a notch to make space for the relay wires. I used a utility knife to cut away some plastic when I installed the relay wiring for my HID kit.

AWGD8

NJGuy wrote:AWGD8 - If you want the plastic cover for the positive terminal to sit flat, you can cut out a notch to make space for the relay wires. I used a utility knife to cut away some plastic when I installed the relay wiring for my HID kit.
Thanks for the tip NJ! :bowrofl: I did not even bother to check that . :rotflmao

I think I will also use more wire covers , like the one I used on the exposed wires from Brake master cylinder going towards the driver side ballast. (4th picture from the bottom). I think I bought that wire cover for $2 at Harbor Frieght.. :biggrin:

Although, the relay harness already has mesh cover, it might look better with the larger one and looks more OEM. :dblthumb:

ppan76
-Premium /Nav

AWGD8. Just finished installing the relay. Thanks!. I basically did exactly what you did. :-)

It took me longer than I expected because It took me a long time to figure out why one of the ballast wasn't firing. It turns out I used a bad ground in the chassis. :-(. At the end I just used the same ground you used.

I have a small concern because the relays are free floating inside the battery compartment. I wonder if there is a better place to attach or screw it. Another thing is, I though relays had to be installed standing up.

AWGD8

Excellent! I am glad I could help here.
Regarding the relay, I just wedged the relay as you see in the picture. It is pretty stable. Dont keep it loose, you can wedge it in next to the fuse box. The location of the relay is perfect ! Less moisture, water etc. so it does not matter if it is standing up or sideways. If the relay is exposed to the engine bay, I would recommend positioning it up or standing so water can flow downward if exposed. I would not worry about that in the current location. I have it setup like this more than 6 months now.

The reason I prefer this is if both got burn in the middle of nowhere, I would not have to worry removing it. Same goes to the fuse. I also keep a pair of backup relay in the trunk.

AWGD8

Updated version for cleaner install.

So I followed NJguy to cut a small slot opening for the relay harness that goes to the positive battery terminal so the red cover can be closed flat. :dblthumb:

I also decided to cover the wires with similar type OEM look wire cover.

AWGD8

Bought the wire cover at Walmart.

ppan76
-Premium /Nav

Unfortunally even with the relay installed. One of the lights does not light up consistently when I set the headlights to AUTO mode. :confused:

I will have to do more troubleshooting. It could be a bad ballast.

ppan76
-Premium /Nav

My passenger side ballast is broken. I swapped the ballast and now the driver side broke.

So I wouldn't recommend Morimotos just yet.

AWGD8

I have a Morimoto HID kit for almost a year now and never had issue like that. Retrofit source has an A+ customer service. They can ship out a replacement ballast right away. It is also a good idea to keep an extra HID kit for backup so you do not have to wait for a replacement. Same goes with relays and fuse.

I will try the auto headlight tonight if this setup works for that setting.
Check fuse or relay? Maybe relay is bad?

ppan76
-Premium /Nav

AWGD8 wrote:I have a Morimoto HID kit for almost a year now and never had issue like that. Retrofit source has an A+ customer service. They can ship out a replacement ballast right away. It is also a good idea to keep an extra HID kit for backup so you do not have to wait for a replacement. Same goes with relays and fuse.

I will try the auto headlight tonight if this setup works for that setting.
Check fuse or relay? Maybe relay is bad?
I replaced the "bad" Morimoto ballast with a Kensun ballast and now my lights are working fine (so far). I am trying to get the Morimoto ballast replaced, but a bit annoyed since I thought I paid for quality. I could have bought 3 Kensun HID kits for the price of 1 Morimoto. :facepalm:

AWGD8

I am sorry to hear about your Morimoto ballast experience. Sometimes this thing happens, but I still prefer buying it from Retrofit source due to their excellent customer service.

I have a DDM kit also that I originally installed back in 2008. (Slim design) I still have those ballast installed for my foglights for 6 years now.
The DDM was just $35 full HID kit back then. There ballast were pretty solid then, I just do not like the cheap HID filament they use. Sometimes the color is not consistent for each HID filament.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

I have had mine for over 2 yrs, close to 3 and have had no issues at all... auto mode or on/off manually.

LOVE love love Love them....

ppan76
-Premium /Nav

They are sending me a new one. They told me to cut the wires from the bad ballast and send them a picture. That was all.

I am going to try to run the HID without the relay harness to see how they function.

CustomLowz
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35

ppan76 wrote:They are sending me a new one. They told me to cut the wires from the bad ballast and send them a picture. That was all.

I am going to try to run the HID without the relay harness to see how they function.
I am running my Kensun HID's with no relay on the headlights just fine. I dont know anything about the Morimotos though. I do however have a relay harness on my fogs with the Kensun kit, since I kept popping a fuse.

Regardless, Kensun suggested that I run a relay harness on the headlights because of the AUTO feature but I havent done yet, and have no issues with firing up.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”