Hid lights ?

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
240r
Car: 91 240sx

I am going to buy some g35 hid lights from a car that got rear ended. I just want to know what type (H4, H3, 9006, and so on)of balb they are before I buy them.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

How about none of the above. HID's do not use a standard type of bulb. Your typical halogen uses a filament surrounded by a mixture of primarily xenon gas. HID's do not use a filament. It works more like a spark plug where a spark jumps across 2 electrodes and is sustained. This spark is used to heat up a mixture of gasses inside the bulb to provide the lighting. Unfortunately, you can't just pop a bulb like this into a bulb socket designed for a halogen. Even if you got it to phyisically fit, you'ld never get the thing to ever turn on with the electrical circuitry designed for a halogen bulb. HID's use a ballast that works similarly to an ignition coil at start up to provide enough voltage to cause electricty to jump across the electrodes. And then it provides a constant stream of current to keep the electricity going. Once ignited, the HID will operate at a lower wattage than a halogen of similar brightness, but the initial voltage is very high. And another thing to be concerned with is placement of the arc of the HID bulb. It may not be in the same orientation or location of the filiment of the bulb normally used in the intended aplication. The lens and housing of a lighting system is specifically designed for use with a specific type of bulb. Screwing this up can make lighting worse, possibly causing a scattered beam and blinding others on the road.

There are kits out there that are designed to be used in place of a standard halogen bulb. While these aren't stret legal, they will get the job done. I'd find one of these kits rather than trying to adapt an existing HID system to work with whatever application you intend. Make sure you pick a high quality kit. Especially in regards to the ballasts they use. I hear Phillips and Sylvania are the better ballast brands.

Here is an example of a HID retrofit kit:

http://www.proxenon.com/view_p..._id=1

Though, I do not know how good the ballasts on this kit are. But this is just to show you what is out there.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Ckwik:Good Post.

Fred..:)

usdm_180sx
Car: 1993 base model 240sx (s13)

Actually, there are hid bulbs designed to fit into standard h-4 openings. I've had the HID kit on my zenki headlights for about 2 years now. The HID setup is on page 2 on the link below:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/doriftomodachi

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Right, but I mention that and even provided a link to a sight that sells them. The issue was that he seemed to want to fit an HID system from a car that comes with HID into something else.

MapleLeaf

Hmm, actually... there are alot of people getting OEM systems and retrofitting them into their vehicles. It seems to be the professional way to do it, instead of just buying an H4 or 9006 or whatever kit that will go into your standard housing. The issue here is your standard OEM reflector housings were meant to be used with a halogen bulb, reflecting the halogen bulb's light frequency thru its "prism". This will eventually lead to a system that is not as effective and far more disruptive to other drivers, IMHO. The great thing about getting a complete set of OEM HID's from a wreck is, you're getting the PROJECTORS too. All you have to do is aim them properly. Please make sure you take your time with this, it is VERY important. I think you mentioned you'regetting them off a G35 coupe, whichin that case, they are NOT projectors, just reflector housings. Audi S4 and Honda S2000 projectors seem to be the hottest right now as per retrofit kits. Check out the forums at http://www.HIDforum.com , a truly great site dedicated to the better understanding of HID systems.

Good Luck!

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”