HID Gen1 upgrade

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
pito11213
Car: 2002 Chevrolet Suburban

Hey fellas

If you want the full effect of HID's get the headlight housing from a 2000 BMW 5 series. That is a beautiful mod that I have seen personally. It isnt that hard. Look around on ebay or other weblisting and you can find them cheap. I have got to get pics of the two Q's running around here with them.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

hook brothas up!

GreenQ45a
Car: 2012 Altima 3.5 SR CVT - Dark Slate w\Black Leather Sport\Tech\Premium

2010 Pathfinder 4.0 SE Auto - Red w\Grey Cloth Towing Pkg\Tech 1

Q_SHIP wrote:If the Y33 wasnt a Q45, infiniti would not have named it that PERIOD!

If this was true, when BMW switched the 740 motor from a 4.0 to a 4.4, why wouldnt they have called it a 744?

It's still a Q45.

Are you speaking of the 745i?

GreenQ45a

pito11213 wrote:Hey fellas

If you want the full effect of HID's get the headlight housing from a 2000 BMW 5 series. That is a beautiful mod that I have seen personally. It isnt that hard. Look around on ebay or other weblisting and you can find them cheap. I have got to get pics of the two Q's running around here with them.
Post them please.

GreenQ45a

Q_SHIP wrote:If the Y33 wasnt a Q45, infiniti would not have named it that PERIOD!

If this was true, when BMW switched the 740 motor from a 4.0 to a 4.4, why wouldnt they have called it a 744?

It's still a Q45.
Here do some reading http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/BMW-745/

Q_SHIP
Car: 1999 Q45T with a billion miles.

the change was from 96-97 along with the 540i. 96 had a 4.0 and the 97 was changed to a 4.4.

GreenQ45a

I started a new thread to finish this topic.

zerothread?id=127753

Wes,

If you could move the Y33\G50 comments there that would be great

GreenQ45a

pito11213 wrote:Hey fellas

Post them PLEASE

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Green

Im interested in doing this as well... From my research, all we have to do is drop in a H4 setup, should be plug and play.......

Then get some silverstars for the foglights and highbeams so it doesnt look retarted...

GreenQ45a

elwesso wrote:Green

Im interested in doing this as well... From my research, all we have to do is drop in a H4 setup, should be plug and play.......

Then get some silverstars for the foglights and highbeams so it doesnt look retarted...
What kind of prices are we looking at?

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

elwesso wrote: From my research, all we have to do is drop in a H4 setup, should bheplug and play.........
The problem is teh location of the filament within the reflector. The 9003 filament is parallel to the ground and front plane of the car. The HID bulb is parallel to the ground but orthogonal to the plane of the front of the car, so the standard lens will be of no use and all you will get is glare for oncoming drivers without a defined cut-off nor the R side kick-up.

It would take adapting an OEM (BMW, Nissan, Audi) headlight setup to the G50 opening to do it right, not a cheap proposition.

For the well motivated, there is a SilverStar rebate until the 15th of August.

http://dafnwebpd.sylvania.com/...age=1

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

maxnix wrote:The problem is teh location of the filament within the reflector. The 9003 filament is parallel to the ground and front plane of the car. The HID bulb is parallel to the ground but orthogonal to the plane of the front of the car, so the standard lens will be of no use and all you will get is glare for oncoming drivers without a defined cut-off nor the R side kick-up.

It would take adapting an OEM (BMW, Nissan, Audi) headlight setup to the G50 opening to do it right, not a cheap proposition.

For the well motivated, there is a SilverStar rebate until the 15th of August.

http://dafnwebpd.sylvania.com/...age=1
Then why do the people that have the HIDs in their Q say its just fine...? Come on people, lets not overcomplicate things.....!!!!

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

elwesso wrote:
Then why do the people that have the HIDs in their Q say its just fine...? Come on people, lets not overcomplicate things.....!!!!
Yeah, after all, Nissan put all those extra screws on the soil packs you didn't really need, right?

Puhleeze.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

It may not be ideal..... I agree.... but answer this... How can adding an HID kit into the factory housing not be better than the factory setup.....? If the kick up is too high, just adjust the lights down! Spending $300 on an HID kit that will outperform even our beloved silverstars vs spending 1000's on making something else "work" which would probably end up looking ghetto just doenst make sense to me.. Theres a lot of people that say "it will take $xxxx to do this".. Why hasnt anybody tried it yet? If these drop in HID kits really dont work like we're hypothosizing (again, we dont really "know" since we havent tried it), we take them out, sell it, take a slight loss and get on with our lives!

Maybe Im young and naive, but I dont understand why people want to make things harder than they have to be! Theres 2 things to consider, our current status and where we want to go.. Generally, you go the most efficent route there..

RobertsnewQ

elwesso wrote:It may not be ideal..... I agree.... but answer this... How can adding an HID kit into the factory housing not be better than the factory setup.....?
Actually Wes, I'll make just about any modification to my car without regard for the compromises necessary but even I wouldn't just install HID bulbs into the factory housings. You know the shaped grooves and flat areas in the factory lenses? Those will spread and diffuse the HID light into oncoming drivers' faces. If they crash because of your lights it WILL be your fault.

It isn't as simple as the high cutoff, although that is part of it. The lenses and reflectors for HID lights are COMPLETELY different than incandescent (9004, etc.) bulbs.

Then only safe way to do it is with a clear lens, and Hella or OEM projectors installed in the factory housings. Not easy and not cheap.

If you want to know more, go to this site and you will find everything you ever wanted to know about HID conversions:

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/

And in case my opinion wasn't clear let me be brutally honest: DO NOT PUT HID BULBS IN YOUR FACTORY HOUSINGS/LENSES!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”