Hi! I'm new to the hybrids forum.

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Hey everybody... My name is Seth and I have a problem. (like this is an AA meeting or some 12 step program).

I recently sold my Rb powered 240 convertible and I'm ready to start a new project.

My last car was built to cruise... mild power mods to rb20, shock/springs instead of coilovers, and a full body kit to make it all look nice.

This time I want to build one that performs!!!

I'm not a hardcore racer, so I'm not going to strip the interior and turn it into a full time track car... But I would like to occasionally take it to a 1/4 mile track, run it on a autocross circuit, or even entertain the idea of drifting... All casually of course.

So i've got a S14 shell that needs an engine. I've also got a LQ4 motor that needs a chassis.

What I don't have yet is all the decisions made as to how to build this thing. Once I figure out what I need, I can slowly work on buying the parts and putting it together.

Here's what I'm planning so far...

Most of the hybrid forum readers will already know that the LQ4 is a 6.0L iron block version of the LS1. It's a bit heavier than the aluminum LS1 (about 65 lbs) from what I hear... but because it's got a bit more displacement, the power gains should easily compensate for the extra lbs. The amazing thing about the motor is that it's got a 4.000" bore.. which allows me to fit L92 heads to it. They are cheap heads available through a dealership for like $250 each bare. They are supposed to flow a ton of air.

I've been reading articles and forum threads that talk about people making as much as 500hp on the 6L motor with these heads and the corresponding L92 low profile car style intake.

So making the power appears to be inexpensive...

Mounting the motor should also be a reasonable task thanks to a local buddy of mine who is Mr. Wizard. He's got a lift and all the necessary tools and some great welding skills.. so I should be in good shape there.

My problem will be getting the power to the ground.. and all the money that will need to be spent to do that properly. Ouch!

If anybody has any suggestions for me on some of these questions... I'd love to hear. Keep in mind I'm still early in the research phase..

What trans should I use? Joe says T56 all the way. But WD says TH400 is a good choice. What rear end?What clutch?Wheels and Tires?

Plus I'll have a ton of little questions about wiring, engine accessories and other issues.

Anyhow.. Just wanted to introduce myself.

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

Hey man! Happy to have you here...I think you're making a good choice and sounds like you have a good handle on the situation.

From what you're saying, I think you'll enjoy the 6 speed way more and be able to still take road trips...something the TH400 will not allow.

The stock rear will hold up fine...and you will only have problems w/ the axles if you're launching at the drag strip with some sticky tires.

Stock C6 Z06 clutch will handle it fine I imagine...and it's cheap (~$400).

Wheels and tires...don't skimp on the wheels...you're going to need something at least 9" wide in the back with the right offset because you're going to need a 275 drag radial to plant that power.

You know where to come for answers.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

As a staff member...you should be well aware that all welcome threads require some type of visual eye candy. So post some pics of SOMETHING that belongs to your new project.

Eikon

You're right Brian! Sorry about that. It's just that at this point I don't have anything that is very photogenic.

But here's a few pics to keep the peace.

Rear end of the car

Front end of the car

Here is my VERY VERY dirty and unorganized garage. I just sold my convertible and with it went lots of old parts for RB's and S13's... I need to get it cleaned back up. The point of the picture is to note the motor on the stand in the center.

I got heads for the new motor today. L92! I'll snap a picture tomorrow sometime.

I also picked up a new daily driver today (Infiniti I35).

wrxratd
Car: 1990 240sx hatch, 2002 WRX

So tell us again why that engine is on the engine stand and not in that empty engine bay??? :D Sounds like a b****in project!!

Eikon

wrxratd wrote:So tell us again why that engine is on the engine stand and not in that empty engine bay???
There is a very simple answer for that question..

$$$$$

I've got a lot of parts to buy and a lot of work to do before that engine gets put in.

I'm going to rebuild the motor first... have it acid dipped, bored (.02 over just to clean it up), needs a new crank to mate with a T56, new heads installed, new springs, pushrods, etc...

I need to find a T56 trans, plus clutch, flywheel, etc..

I need a driveshaft.

Nichols says the rear end will hold up... but to 750+ hp???

wrxratd

Why does it need a new crank to mate to the t56? Are there differences between the auto and manual crankshafts?!?!?!?!

Eikon

wrxratd wrote:Why does it need a new crank to mate to the t56? Are there differences between the auto and manual crankshafts?!?!?!?!
Good question!

According to my research, almost all Gen 3 and Gen 4 LS engines share identical cranks. But there are a few very small differences:

LS1 cranks have holes drilled through a couple of the journals to promote better oiling, and in theory... a slightly lighter weight. These are still interchangable with all others.

LQ4 cranks on the '99 and '00 models have a different flange on the end of the crank to mate with the 4L80e trans. All other cranks (5.7L LS1, 5.3L, 6.0L '01+, 6.2L, etc...) all have the basic flange, which GM had to build an adaptor for to fit the 4L80 trans. For some reason they decided for those first couple years of the LQ4 (6.0L iron block) that since they were only mating it to the 4L80e they should just skip the adaptor and just machine the crank with the right flange for that trans.

The result of this difference is that the starter will not engage the flywheel teeth. So unless I want to get a push start every time...

SO... as luck would have it.. I have a 99/00 model motor that has the wrong crank for the T56 that I would really prefer to use in this build.

wrxratd

That's sucky you ended up with the short end of the stick. But i'm glad i asked because i had NO idea!! Obviously Good luck with your project, i'll be watching it!!!

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

If you just want to sell that LQ4, I have a blown LS1 aluminum longblock (just spun two rod bearings, nothing serious) sitting in KY I'll sell you for CHEAP.

Eikon

just sent you an email.

Z28ricer
Car: Cars

cnichols wrote:If you just want to sell that LQ4, I have a blown LS1 aluminum longblock (just spun two rod bearings, nothing serious) sitting in KY I'll sell you for CHEAP.
If he doesnt buy it, how cheap is "CHEAP" ?

You willing to ship ?

Logan76
Car: Junk

Eikon, is the start going to be able to hit the teeth with a spacer of somesort? or is it just too small on the OD of the flywheel to meet the starter teeth at all?

tonis56
Car: 04 Titan Crewcab

woah Seth, I didn't even know you sold the vert!

Eikon

Logan76 wrote:Eikon, is the start going to be able to hit the teeth with a spacer of somesort? or is it just too small on the OD of the flywheel to meet the starter teeth at all?
Here's the info that I found.. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/....html
tonis56 wrote:woah Seth, I didn't even know you sold the vert!
Yessir.. I sold it to Shawn (Glitched) from Milwaukee. I just sold the wheels to Stefan tonight as well. So I have nothing left in my house to remind me of the 'vert. Except the 09 calender we did for the 'vert crew.. lol.

tonis56

Eikon wrote:Yessir.. I sold it to Shawn (Glitched) from Milwaukee. I just sold the wheels to Stefan tonight as well. So I have nothing left in my house to remind me of the 'vert. Except the 09 calender we did for the 'vert crew.. lol.
You should come to the Madison meet in april. Here is some info on it http://artinmotion.myunite.net/unt?id=330 Did you ever sell those Z32 calipers by any chance?

Eikon

Shawn cleaned me out of all the parts I had except the Volks.

I have since picked up another set of brakes. But I'm hanging on to those for my S14.

tonis56

Eikon wrote:Shawn cleaned me out of all the parts I had except the Volks.

I have since picked up another set of brakes. But I'm hanging on to those for my S14.
Cool

eidk
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

I cannot wait to see the progress on this project.

I'll get you some pics of the wheels on my car as soon as i pick up the other parts. I just keep going on damn trips so its hard to save money

Eikon

A brief update.. Still slow going at this point.. I'm still researching and accumulating parts.. slowly.

I solved the crank problem with my 99 LQ4 motor.

How'd I do it you ask?... I bought a new motor.

I found a guy locally selling a complete '03 model for $600. It was a nice price, and it's perfect for me. It's got aluminum heads on it, which I'll put on the old motor and ditch the iron heads. It's got the proper crank that will mate to a t56 perfectly. It's also got all the wiring and accessories, which my other motor doesn't have.

So now I have two LQ4's....

What to do with them???

My thinking now is that I'll put the newer motor in the car sooner without rebuilding it. Since I don't have to replace the crank, and it's got lighter aluminum heads, so it'll be solid and ready to go.. pending a compression test of course...

This really shortens the time it'll take to get the project running.

Then the old motor can be slowly stripped and rebuild with better internals and the L92 heads and a big custom cam, etc... I can take my time with the build and do it right instead of rushing to just get it installed.

So I still need the following big things to get this swap ready:GTO Oil PanL92 car style intakeT56 transclutch/flywheelGM ECUdriveshaft

Then of course there will be a ton of little details to sort out... So I'm still nowhere near ready. But getting closer!

I also forgot to mention that I picked up some wheels for the car!GramLights 57c. I have 6 of them. Haven't decided yet which ones to mounts. I have four 18x9.5's and two 18x.8.5's. I'll probably go staggered and mount the 8.5's on the front to make fitment easier. Then I'll keep the other 9.5's for another set of tires (maybe some r comps or something??)

Logan76
Car: Junk

Damn son, I thought this was a budget build. LOL

Return to “Hybrids”