Hey who took 1qt of oil from my Z??

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
Netko350Z

Yep...I have been reading into this "oil consumption" problem with some of the VQ's and think I might have one of those motors. My 04 ZR has been sleeping for the past 3 months just waiting to comeout and play. I only have about 7,500mi on my ZR.

BUT...

Last summer I noticed that when I was doing a routine check up that the engine was about 1 qt. low of life blood. So I topped it off and get through the rest of the summer without any problems. I only put about 2k miles on it so I am not 100% sure if I do have the problem. I would say I only put 1k miles on it before I noticed the drop. Switched over to synthetic at the begining of last season.

So here is a few questions...

Synthetic oil...MOBIL 1...is there any tendency to have oil consumption with that brand or synthetic oil in general?

When people say they had a "oil consumption" test done...what exactly is done in that test?

I ordered a Motordyne spacer and KJR Crank pully...should I install these or will the dealership give me a hard time if they have to replace my motor? All I have done is a Borla exhaust and a K&N Typhoon.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

what weight oil are you running?

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

I have heard a lot of bad things about switching from dino to synthetic motor oil after the motor has been run quite a bit on dino. Things like oil consumption and smoking occur typically because the synthetic provides a thinner lubricating surface and may allow oil past the rings. I've heard that it is best to gradually blend your oils from full dino to full synthetic, but I still don't know if that works very well. There's a post up in the RB forum concerning this so search for it and maybe it'll be useful to you.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”