Hesitation when accelerating once hot.

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
Ely

My wife has a '12 Quest SV with about 96K on it. We bought it cpo, and of course it's just out of warranty. The problem it's having is after driving at highway speeds for an hour or so, it will not take off again from a stop or near stop. Pedal to the floor does nothing. You can feather it and get it to rev a little sometimes, but if you try to give it enough pedal to accelerate, nada. You can hold it to the floor and in a few seconds (<30 for sure) it'll spool up and you're moving again. It generally doesn't happen on her daily back and forth trips around our small town unless she's been at it all day. I'm afraid she's going to attempt to pull into traffic with the kids in the van and get creamed. My first thought was TPS was going bad, but there has been no CEL whatsoever. Hooked up my ODB2 scanner to see if it might have a code pending, but no luck there either. I honestly think this has been happening since before the warranty ran out because we've had it at the dealership s handful of times for what felt like jerky acceleration when you let off and reapplied throttle on the interstate. I kind of chocked it up to the CVT hunting and the dealership was never able to reproduce it. Methinks they never got it up to temp or didn't time at speed. Not sure taking it in is the right move yet because again, they'll drive it cold, it'll drive fine, and it's not throwing a code. Any insight you can share would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently an hour from home with this heap of s#!t and am not looking forward to driving it home.

Ely

Update:

It did it again on the way home. After sitting and cooling off, we had no issues on the drive home until we got off the interstate. The off ramp near my house is at an incline so there was no getting going again. The other times I was able to get moving were on flat ground or a decline. It basically went into a neutral state and would not even hold on the slight incline. My thought, since it will eventually go, was to brake torque it until it caught and took off. Nay. It started making the smelliest smell that smelled so I quit immediately and called a tow. My CEL light was already on from running it with the air box out and the MAF sensor disconnected so I could hit the throttlebody with a little gumout in case the butterfly was sticking or something. Shot in the dark, but I felt like I had to try something. Hooked up my scanner when it got dropped in the driveway to clear the MAF code and lo and behold I had others. The dreaded P1778 stepper motor code. I did a lot of reading on that that (most links on google came back here) and found a good write-up on replacing it with a link to the stepper motor. The poster was describing doing this on an 2.5L Altima. So far, my search for what CVT is in the Quest has been a mix bag of nuts. Supposed compatible replacements have part numbers all over the place. Lean manufacturing being what it is, what's the likelihood Nissan paired the same CVT to the VQ35 that they did the VQ25?

I would much much rather buy the $35 part and put it in myself vs the stealership charging me thousands to replace the tranny. From what I'm reading, That's their only move.

I let my wife lose in my '18 Titan (gasp) this morning and drove the Quest to see how it would behave. Not surprised, it's running and "shifting" fine after sitting all night. Considering that distances she typically drives, it may not crop up again for a while, but I'd rather get it fixed sooner than later.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

They usually mod any trans that swaps from a 4 to a 6 for the increased torque of the 6. A good guess on that one would be the RE0F09B trans, it comes in the '14 V6 model.

The service manuals available here seem to be missing certain sections when it comes to the Quest.

Ely

Thanks amc49. Really not able to find much on it. Hated to do it, but since that's my wife's daily people mover we went and traded it in yesterday. Trans had started slipping during regular driving. Could have potentially been a simple diy but lack of information and time were working against me.

Return to “Quest Forum”