Hesitation shifting 2-3

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
rwhyde
Car: '93 Infiniti J30

I posted a few weeks ago on the combined site about a shifting problem on my recently rebuilt basket case J30. I changed the AT fluid and it apeared fine, a little junk in the pan and filter. Still didn't fix all of my problem but I did find the fix. I finally got around to checking my timing and it was at about 8 degrees instead of 15. Fixed that and now it shifts like a dream and runs dramatically smother overall. what a big difference in how the car performs for such a small adjustment. Now on to the cruise control.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

wow i wonder why your timing was so far offf....... I suspect the car feels a lot quicker now.

glad you fixed it though!

rwhyde

Well, the timing was off since I had never adjusted it following my head rework and timing belt. I bought this car not running with a partially seized engine. I found that the drivers side camshaft had seized in the head after the tiny oil hole filled up with varnish and jumped the belt/timing. It broke the heads off a couple of valves and bent a bunch more. I was pleasantly surprised that the car started up very quickly after the rebuild and having sat for 2+ years. I just never got around to checking on the timing as it is kind of a pain and it seemed to start and run well otherwise. Just MUCH better now. It has had a slew of problems since getting it going, headlight relay, interior lights, steering solenoid, steering control unit, radio, trunk release, front bushings, crappy struts (I swapped in used ones from my parts car-still need new but not expensive ones), front strut rod bushings. I still have a few more problems I haven't worked out yet, such as the PS belt squeal on first start everyday, antenna mast, and a clunk in the right rear on acceleration/decelleration. Other than all that it is a great car. Darn good A/C which is a requirement in Texas.

halfbyte

How did you adjust the timing? I have '94 J30t that might need timing

adjustment.

Thanks

rwhyde

I removed the coil from the #1 cylinder (passenger side front) and found an old spark plug wire I had lying around. I attached the wire to the spark plug, inserted the other end in the coil and used some electrical tape to hold it in place firmly against the coil spark plug connector (had to remove the coil wires to remove and reinstall the coil), with the wire attached, hooked up my timing light to the spark plug wire (it is an inductive type timing light) and checked the timing. To adjust, loosen the three bolts holding the crankshaft position sensor on the driver's side camshaft front cover and turn it like a distributor to adjust the timing. I hope this helps.

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

rwhyde wrote:I removed the coil from the #1 cylinder (passenger side front) and found an old spark plug wire I had lying around. I attached the wire to the spark plug, inserted the other end in the coil and used some electrical tape to hold it in place firmly against the coil spark plug connector (had to remove the coil wires to remove and reinstall the coil), with the wire attached, hooked up my timing light to the spark plug wire (it is an inductive type timing light) and checked the timing. To adjust, loosen the three bolts holding the crankshaft position sensor on the driver's side camshaft front cover and turn it like a distributor to adjust the timing. I hope this helps.
Instead of doing all that you can use the timing light and look at the crank pulley. It has notches on it.

rwhyde

And just what triggers the timing light??

halfbyte

Yep, you need to connect your timing light to #1 spark plug wire to trigger

the light at the crank notch!

Thanks rwhyde, I am searching for an old spare spark plug wire... if I can

find one...

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”