hesitation cold engine

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
shirohige
Car: nissan 200sx s13

Hello there! have been roaming around this forum for a while now, but I could never register. Would always get an error, maybe because im from europe? Anyway, today it worked so im glad.

My car does some weird things when the engine is cold. It will work perfectly fine when warm (65+ celsius)

So my car, a 240sx s13 with a redtop sr20det swap will almost stall when the engine is cold. There is a slight delay when i put my foot on the gas, rpm will drop a bit and then it will go up in rpm. I can stop the stall by putting my foot on the clutch and tapping on the throttle slightly. Sometimes it feels like the engine is misfiring too

engine is completely stock except for the injectors (555cc) and turbo (gt28 turbo). Runs a Power FC D-jetro (map sensor)

Things I have checked
- timing, 15 degrees when warm
- tps voltage; .49v
- took out iacv and cleaned the thing, all springs and stuff too
- spark plug gaps (.028)
- AFR at idle are around 14.4-14.9

I dont believe it is a boost/vac leak since I had the car tuned 2 weeks ago. Car was also hesitating before the tune. Didn't have the time to do a coldstart tune. I raised my water temp correction on my PFC, but it will still hesitate even though I let it idle rich.

Hope someone can help me out!

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

I would start off checking the Coolant Temp Sensor and make sure it is outputting the correct values at the lower temps.

Also, does your fuel pressure drop when it hesitates?

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”